General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49034
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:31 am

Lagoon wrote:Forgive me for not banking on something that has around an 80% chance of not happening. Last year was a perfect example of the 4 worst teams all picking 3 spots higher than they finished.

Exactly. There chances of that happening again are very low.

Yes, mathematically they are the same as last year (give or take), which is very low.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 am

Lagoon wrote:Tank aside, what an amazing scene last night when Daniel scored the goal in overtime last night in Vancouver. Primary assist going to Henrik. Watching it, it really made me think of that moment that Alfie should have had here with us. MelnykOut I think they say.

Alfie's moment came when he broke his stick and stomped the snot out of that water bottle. And when he said "probably not".

Alfredsson has only himself to blame for not being a true legacy player. He got his pride hurt by a buffoon. Let one crazy man's words trump the adoration of millions.

He got buttsore because he played his last season for $1M and did not get paid back for that. Completely forgot the fact that it was a front loaded contract, so he *did* get paid. Also he had full confidence when he signed that he would retire then and there. Instead he played for $1M and then yes more years for, what, another $9M? He got an extra $10M that he didn't expect when he first signed. And he could have gotten it all here, without moving the family.

Working for a crazy boss sucks, I know. Most of us do it for a lot less.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:40 am

Sedins had to put up with a lot more crap and handled it with way more poise.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 742
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

Post by Lagoon on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 am

wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:Tank aside, what an amazing scene last night when Daniel scored the goal in overtime last night in Vancouver. Primary assist going to Henrik. Watching it, it really made me think of that moment that Alfie should have had here with us. MelnykOut I think they say.

Alfie's moment came when he broke his stick and stomped the snot out of that water bottle. †And when he said "probably not".

Alfredsson has only himself to blame for not being a true legacy player. He got his pride hurt by a buffoon. Let one crazy man's words trump the adoration of millions.

He got buttsore because he played his last season for $1M and did not get paid back for that. Completely forgot the fact that it was a front loaded contract, so he *did* get paid. Also he had full confidence when he signed that he would retire then and there. Instead he played for $1M and then yes more years for, what, another $9M? He got an extra $10M that he didn't expect when he first signed. And he could have gotten it all here, without moving the family.

I hear you, but I donít. In my mind, Alfie came back hoping Melnyk would have changed. He didnít. Alfie left again, amd now we are about to see if the greatest player the Sens have ever had is about to leave at 27 years old. Iím too stubborn to change my mind. I and many others, could have 3 months left as paying, active and vocal Sens fans.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17010
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 am

Alfie never made more than $5M per year and took multiple home team discounts. Excuse me if he wanted to be overpaid for his final year when he earned it. The Alfie thing lead to the Bobby Ryan trade which started the team down a weird path which somehow had an Eastern Conference finals appearance it.

Anyway, that's ancient history. Now, the team is faced with the Karlsson problem. If he wants out, it's because of Melnyk. We'll never know the truth, just like we'll never know the full truth of The Alfie situation.

If the team was in a great place, I could get trading Karlsson. Cashing out when his value is at its highest, but also when injury questions surround his future. Is he going to be great for the next 8 years? Probably, but there are doubts. So if the team were on solid ground and moved him, I could actually understand that. Bring in a couple great assets for him, resign Duchene, Stone, and whoever else, and move on. As it stands now though...ugh...could be in for a miserable time as a Sens fan for the next couple years if we move him.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 am

Yes. Yes. Yes.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Alfie's salary was $7M in 2009-10 and 2010-1. It dropped to $4.5M and then $1M. The very clear intention was to retire after the 2011-12 season.

That was my point. He intended to play 3 seasons and collect $18.5M. he didn't bank on any more after that, but ended up with another $6.5M over two more seasons (my mistake, I thought he was in Detroit 2 years).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Alfie's one of the best, for sure, but Sedins handled it better. Alfie held out not once, but twice. Missed camp and the start of the season, and demanded a trade because his contract was $1M less than Yashin. Karlsson didn't do that when Ryan was extended, but he would have had way more of a case.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14105
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Alfie's moment came when he broke his stick and stomped the snot out of that water bottle. †And when he said "probably not".

I hear you, but I donít. In my mind, Alfie came back hoping Melnyk would have changed. He didnít. Alfie left again, amd now we are about to see if the greatest player the Sens have ever had is about to leave at 27 years old. Iím too stubborn to change my mind. I and many others, could have 3 months left as paying, active and vocal Sens fans.
    I donít live in Ottawa so I canít say I have a perfect pulse on the situation but I donít get the impression Karlsson is staying. That puck was quite the sign.
    I think both camps want to part ways for their own reason.
    Melnyk is a cheap Donkey idiot that doesnít want to invest in bringing in players to complement the core to have a chance at winning and karlsson has been soured by this constant attitude.

Results will be kalrsson in another jersey, I have fairly big doubts on duchene sticking around and Stone may just arbitration himself out of here in a relatively short run.

We can all go back after to hearing all the people that said Melnyk wasnít a big problem say they knew Melnyk was a problem.

I just wished there was a way to have Melnyk sell the team. The org is busy doing damage control but in no way are they changing their operating strategy. For me, melnyk out means exactly what it should. This city is begging for a new owner.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21402
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:

I donít live in Ottawa so I canít say I have a perfect pulse on the situation but I donít get the impression Karlsson is staying. That puck was quite the sign.
    Melnyk is a cheap Donkey idiot that doesnít want to invest in bringing in players to complement the core to have a chance at winning and karlsson has been soured by this constant attitude.

Results will be kalrsson in another jersey, I have fairly big doubts on duchene sticking around and Stone may just arbitration himself out of here in a relatively short run.

We can all go back after to hearing all the people that said Melnyk wasnít a big problem say they knew Melnyk was a problem.

I just wished there was a way to have Melnyk sell the team. The org is busy doing damage control but in no way are they changing their operating strategy. For me, melnyk out means exactly what it should. This city is begging for a new owner.

The puck being picked up is meaningless IMO. He knows everyone is watching. To me it was nothing.

The Sens have been able to sign 95% of the important players they have wanted to sign over the past decade. Ownership/Melnyk isn't an issue to the majority of the players on the roster.

This city is not begging for a new owner. Sens fans are. There's a big and key difference there. This city is not a Sens city and the Sens fanbase is small and weak.

IMO no matter what happens to Karlsson, I believe Duchene and Stone will be signing long term deals. Karlsson isn't the most lovable guy to play for the Sens and he's not somebody who is such a strong captain/leader that would make others jump ship if he left. Hockey is a business and Duchene would not get much better playing elsewhere.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm

To me, my opinion wonít be formed on if Karlsson will be here next season until we all find out if the Sens keep their own 1st round pick this upcoming draft. Unless we win the lottery this year, I think we will trade our pick if the Sens arenít serious about offering Karlsson his deserved contract of pay and term. I donít see how we wouldnít have better odds at Hughes next year without Karlsson.

As far as all the people that thought they knew more than everyone else and blindly supported Melnyk a few years ago. Facepalm
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:

The puck being picked up is meaningless IMO. He knows everyone is watching. To me it was nothing.

The Sens have been able to sign 95% of the important players they have wanted to sign over the past decade. Ownership/Melnyk isn't an issue to the majority of the players on the roster.

This city is not begging for a new owner. Sens fans are. There's a big and key difference there. This city is not a Sens city and the Sens fanbase is small and weak.

IMO no matter what happens to Karlsson, I believe Duchene and Stone will be signing long term deals. Karlsson isn't the most lovable guy to play for the Sens and he's not somebody who is such a strong captain/leader that would make others jump ship if he left. Hockey is a business and Duchene would not get much better playing elsewhere.

I think the puck thing is meaningless as well. Karlsson has admitted he is very aware on social media and therefore popular opinion most likely as well. I would have to assume he knows the pressure that #MelnykOut has created and knows that the vast majority of Sens fans have his back. Karlsson gets sly humour and jokes. That is one side of his personality that is well documented by media and himself. He knows the outcome of taking the puck and his fake quote about the puck just lying there. I choose to assume he did all that because he wants to stay and knows management wants him gone. He did this to put pressure on management to pony up. The fans want it and because hockey is a business, he knows he has no leverage other than to get the fans even more on his side. I think everyone in the organization knows that Eugene is a cheap meddling Diddle, and he wants cost savings over anything. To me, hockey players more often than not, choose bland cliches that donít rock that boat. Ryanís quote about thinking he was already traded,,,Stoneís latest about wanting the see the right direction before he signs anything new are all out of the norm and scream about what we all fear about how bad Melnyk is. Duchene is the one that gave the bland cliche about how he sees the team doing all the right things. He says this because he hasnít seen the truth for himself yet and therefore went bland PR for us. I think Ryan has checked out, but Karlsson and Stone want to stay and are using the fan pressure to their advantage in hopes that the fans show Melnyk that he has nothing without them. Thereís nothing more players can do. They are reaching out of the box because the Sens are a complete Dung show and if they did nothing, Melnyk would offer Karlsson 6 million a year, heíd decline and then get traded. I think Stone and Duchene are completely tied to what happens with Karlsson and will go so far as to say that they wonít renew their deals until the Karlsson situation concludes.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Nobody "blindly supported Melnyk"; you're just trying to stir it up. People said spending money foolishly would be a mistake, which is 100% true. They also were genuinely asking *who* would you suggest bringing in as a UFA. Ottawa is not a hot destination. This it why we get past their prime stars like Hasek, Kovalev, Gonchar, and still paying them star money. If you think you are one such player away then, yeah, sure, overspend a bit and it's still worth it. Most other times, it's not.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14105
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:

I think the puck thing is meaningless as well. Karlsson has admitted he is very aware on social media and therefore popular opinion most likely as well. I would have to assume he knows the pressure that #MelnykOut has created and knows that the vast majority of Sens fans have his back. Karlsson gets sly humour and jokes. That is one side of his personality that is well documented by media and himself. He knows the outcome of taking the puck and his fake quote about the puck just lying there. I choose to assume he did all that because he wants to stay and knows management wants him gone. He did this to put pressure on management to pony up. The fans want it and because hockey is a business, he knows he has no leverage other than to get the fans even more on his side. I think everyone in the organization knows that Eugene is a cheap meddling Diddle, and he wants cost savings over anything. To me, hockey players more often than not, choose bland cliches that donít rock that boat. Ryanís quote about thinking he was already traded,,,Stoneís latest about wanting the see the right direction before he signs anything new are all out of the norm and scream about what we all fear about how bad Melnyk is. Duchene is the one that gave the bland cliche about how he sees the team doing all the right things. He says this because he hasnít seen the truth for himself yet and therefore went bland PR for us. I think Ryan has checked out, but Karlsson and Stone want to stay and are using the fan pressure to their advantage in hopes that the fans show Melnyk that he has nothing without them. Thereís nothing more players can do. They are reaching out of the box because the Sens are a complete Dung show and if they did nothing, Melnyk would offer Karlsson 6 million a year, heíd decline and then get traded. I think Stone and Duchene are completely tied to what happens with Karlsson and will go so far as to say that they wonít renew their deals until the Karlsson situation concludes.

Kalrsson is smart but I donít think he would go so far as to amanipulate the situation by grabbing a puck. I think itís a lot simpler than any conspiracy. He thinks it may be his last game, whether he wants out or the org wants to trade him. He passed it off as meaningless to the media.

The next few months until July will be very telling.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:36 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Kalrsson is smart but I donít think he would go so far as to amanipulate the situation by grabbing a puck. I think itís a lot simpler than any conspiracy. He thinks it may be his last game, whether he wants out or the org wants to trade him. He passed it off as meaningless to the media.

The next few months until July will be very telling.

Iím guilty of always reading too much into things and forming opinions. Iím a classic over thinker. I donít doubt your opinion at all.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 am

Nothing's set in stone, yet, but he's no fool and knows this may have been his last game in Ottawa.

If they win the lottery I'd bet they will think the upgrade of Karlsson over Dahlin is not worth the extra salary and trade him along with Ryan.

So I'm hoping they pick second or third and take Zadina.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 am

Chabot, Wolanin, Boro, Harpur, Claesson, Englund. What do they all have in common, besides being lefties? None of the is ready for top pairing minutes. But that's a great looking left side in a couple of years.

Karlsson, Ceci, Wideman, Jaros. I think they are set on the right but, of course, one of them isn't signed and the other may be moved.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21402
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Iím at the point where I think the sens would be better off trading karlsson. Iím not a fan of his whole attitude this season especially when he was terrible for half of the year. I donít think he is the right fit to be captain

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:42 pm