GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
As for Stone, I can wait. I'll get the one with the 'C' on it.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I won’t be buying anything sens related, including tickets in Ottawa until this mess is settled and I’m happy with the results. I imagine that might have to include Melnyk selling a majority stake at the very least.

I might go see some games when they play Montréal.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, I will be taking a "wait and see" approach this coming season. If they're really committed to the "rebuild" and giving the young guys meaningful roles and minutes, I might actually buy some tickets even if the losses are piling up.

It also wouldn't hurt if Uncle Euge came out with a legit apology and admitted that he's at least partially at fault for the current state of the franchise. We all know that ain't happening though.

If the team were sold tomorrow, I'd buy up a bunch of tickets ASAP.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
How about Brooks Orpik? Traded from the Caps to the Avs a month ago, bought out of his $4.5M contract (meaning he'll get $1.5M this year and next), and then resigns with the Caps yesterday to a $1M + $500K contract. Should break even in the end....

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I will be taking a "wait and see" approach this coming season.  If they're really committed to the "rebuild" and giving the young guys meaningful roles and minutes, I might actually buy some tickets even if the losses are piling up.

It also wouldn't hurt if Uncle Euge came out with a legit apology and admitted that he's at least partially at fault for the current state of the franchise.  We all know that ain't happening though.  

If the team were sold tomorrow, I'd buy up a bunch of tickets ASAP.

I think I’d buy a 4 pack and make the trip from Montréal on those games too! Lol

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:How about Brooks Orpik?  Traded from the Caps to the Avs a month ago, bought out of his $4.5M contract (meaning he'll get $1.5M this year and next), and then resigns with the Caps yesterday to a $1M + $500K contract.  Should break even in the end....

That’s some nifty cap management. Did Orpik even pack a single box?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Trevor Linden leaving his position as President of the Canucks. Not quite Alfie leaving the Sens, but close.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Trevor Linden leaving his position as President of the Canucks.  Not quite Alfie leaving the Sens, but close.

Well, at least we can evaluate his body of work. Was it good? Depending on who you think runs the show on what. The line between president and GM can get pretty blurry at times.
Apart from a few prospects it’s hard to say that Van has done a good job at rebuilding.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Trevor Linden leaving his position as President of the Canucks.  Not quite Alfie leaving the Sens, but close.

Well, at least we can evaluate his body of work. Was it good? Depending on who you think runs the show on what. The line between president and GM can get pretty blurry at times.
Apart from a few prospects it’s hard to say that Van has done a good job at rebuilding.

It sounds like the owner isn't great and he and Linden didn't see eye-to-eye (sound familiar?). Anywho, yeah, it's not like Linden's rebuild plan was going great, but you gotta believe he wasn't on board with signing Jay Beagle for four years @ $3M.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Tom Wilson, $31M over 6 years (AAV north of $5M).

Maybe I should have led with "Stanley Cup champion Tom Wilson".

That's not a small contract. Wow.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Philadelphia’s third jersey looking like a cheap knockoff practice jersey. Adidas isn’t necessarily knocking it out of the park these days.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Wow, there's just nothing going on. Almost 2 weeks to go before Tkachuk announced whether he'll sign with the Senators or not (if he does, that rules out going back to college).

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:Wow, there's just nothing going on. Almost 2 weeks to go before Tkachuk announced whether he'll sign with the Senators or not (if he does, that rules out going back to college).

He's going back to college or the AHL. I think he's best off in the AHL personally with a call-up toward the end of the year. Let him develop some chemistry on a line with Brown and Batherson. Have all three of them start in the NHL together next season. I also think Wolanin is better off starting off in the AHL too QBing the powerplay and paired with Jaros on a regular shift.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
If the Sens can move some of those one-way contracts (Pyatt, Smith, Gaborik), then for one year become a development league (in that there are no expectations on results; only on progression) I think that could work in the long run. It's not the same as one rookie (Lazar) plays on a veteran team where he is getting 3rd/4th line minutes with the likes of Greening,Neil,Legwand. Instead, the team is full of young players learning together. Even if they move the above-mentioned players they still have Stone-Duchene-Boedker-Dzingel-Pageau-Ryan as a poor man's top-six, with Pajaarvi and Paul providing bottom-six veteran leadership (Paul may not have all that much NHL experience but he's had a lot of time as a pro).

While that's going on you'll have White in his second year pro, Chlapik with his second full season in the NHL, try-outs for Brown/Tkachuk/Formenton/Batherson.

The young guns won't be expected to contribute in a meaningful way to a team trying to make the playoffs. In other words, no pressure, low expectations and just have fun while learning.

And - who knows - maybe they'll surprise us.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:Wow, there's just nothing going on. Almost 2 weeks to go before Tkachuk announced whether he'll sign with the Senators or not (if he does, that rules out going back to college).

He's going back to college or the AHL. I think he's best off in the AHL personally with a call-up toward the end of the year. Let him develop some chemistry on a line with Brown and Batherson. Have all three of them start in the NHL together next season. I also think Wolanin is better off starting off in the AHL too QBing the powerplay and paired with Jaros on a regular shift.
Yeah. I’m hoping for that scenario too.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Top 4 pick. Screw it, he starts in Ottawa. Anything else means we made the wrong pick.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Top 4 pick. Screw it, he starts in Ottawa. Anything else means we made the wrong pick.
That’s not true. Top picks don’t have to start in the NHL. Dubois didn’t and he’s looking like he’ll be a legit number1C. Why would you want him in this mess on Ottawa? Him being in Ottawa is my least favourite choice. 
AHL>college>NHL

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, there's no reason to have Tkachuk on the NHL roster next season unless we're 100% sure he's going to have success and play lots (which we won't be).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum