You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:Wow, is that the best buffalo could get for Skinner? Lots of pieces but they’d been better off with one or two solid pieces.

Do you mean the best Carolina could get? I personally thought this was highway robbery. Mid-level prospect and late draft picks? Good for Buffalo. Let's also not lose sight of the fact they have three 1st rd picks this year so giving up a 2nd was a non issue.

Skinner-Eichel-Mittelstadt
Sobotka-Berglund-Okposo
Nylander-Girgensons-Pominville
Larson-Reinhart-Sheary

Scandella-Ristolainen
Dhalin-Bogosian
McCabe-Beaulieu

Hutton
Ullmark

I'd take this team over the Sens current roster any day of the week.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:Wow, is that the best buffalo could get for Skinner? Lots of pieces but they’d been better off with one or two solid pieces.

I think you meant Carolina.

I agree. Buffalo got better, for sure. Carolina got some useless picks. This guy "Pu" better be better than his name implies.

But Buffalo still has no answer in goal, Eichel is a terrible leader and injury prone. Don't forget Buffalo also lost Kane and O'Reilly, so they got worse before they got better.

Dahlin should be good in a year or two but he will make lots of mistakes until then. It's also not a given that it will be elite in this league. For every Karlsson there are many Runblads.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

Do you mean the best Carolina could get? I personally thought this was highway robbery. Mid-level prospect and late draft picks? Good for Buffalo. Let's also not lose sight of the fact they have three 1st rd picks this year so giving up a 2nd was a non issue.

Skinner-Eichel-Mittelstadt
Sobotka-Berglund-Okposo
Nylander-Girgensons-Pominville
Larson-Reinhart-Sheary

Scandella-Ristolainen
Dhalin-Bogosian
McCabe-Beaulieu

Hutton
Ullmark

I'd take this team over the Sens current roster any day of the week.

Yeah, that’s what I meant.
That D is still questionable if you ask me but it could all depend on how fast Dahlin becomes a 1st pairing guy.

Hard to tell what those lines will wind up looking like but I see a much better team than the god damn senators.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
William Kalrsson signs a one year with Vegas for a shade over 5 mill.

I think that’s. A good deal. Even if he scores only 15 goals next year it can be seen as a reward for last year. It’s a prove it to me again deal. They have plenty of cap. Let’s see if he can score 30.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Gibson signs for 8 years at just over 6 and a quarter. Don’t know if I like it. He’s young and he’s been really good as a starter but 8 years is a long time for a goalie. At least it’s not stupid money like Carey price, it’s still a lot.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Buffalo was the first team ever to place 31st worst. That team lost Lehner, Kane and O'Reilly and added Dahlin and Skinner. Is that about it?

Eichel is still injury prone and -- from what I've seen so far -- really immature, 100% diva and a really bad leader. Dahlin will not be a taller, more-physical Erik Karlsson this season. Much more likely is that he will *never* be anything close to Karlsson.

I don't really see Buffalo being a lot better than last year. If their goaltending holds up and Eichel stays healthy, then maybe, but while the Sens hold on to Karlsson/Stone/Duchene I still think they will be better than Barfalo.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Buffalo was the first team ever to place 31st worst.  That team lost Lehner, Kane and O'Reilly and added Dahlin and Skinner.  Is that about it?  

Eichel is still injury prone and -- from what I've seen so far -- really immature, 100% diva and a really bad leader.  Dahlin will not be a taller, more-physical Erik Karlsson this season.  Much more likely is that he will *never* be anything close to Karlsson.  

I don't really see Buffalo being a lot better than last year.  If their goaltending holds up and Eichel stays healthy, then maybe, but while the Sens hold on to Karlsson/Stone/Duchene I still think they will be better than Barfalo.

You’re also forgetting they will have a full year of Casey mittelstad who will likely be a second line guy as well as additions of Sobotka, berglund and Connor sherry who might be a 20 goal guy.

Id say you’re short selling Buffalo quite a bit. I can’t see how the sens are better than buffalo.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I'll keep short selling them until they show me something. With O'Reilly gone who will keep Eichel from acting like a diva?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I predict the Sens will finish 4-5 in the Atlantic.

Of course if they move Karlsson all bets are off.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:Gibson signs for 8 years at just over 6 and a quarter. Don’t know if I like it. He’s young and he’s been really good as a starter but 8 years is a long time for a goalie. At least it’s not stupid money like Carey price, it’s still a lot.

So incredibly tough to know what to do with goalies.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Rangers backed up the truck for Lundqvist, Habs got Price. Meantime the Blackhawks won with Niemi and Huet, and Penguins won with a rookie.

Long term goalie contacts have rarely worked out.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Rangers backed up the truck for Lundqvist, Habs got Price.  Meantime the Blackhawks won with Niemi and Huet, and Penguins won with a rookie.

Long term goalie contacts have rarely worked out.

Bobrovsky is entering the last year of his $7.4M/year deal. What do you do with that guy? He's had great regular seasons (last season was a little worse than his normal, but still good), but hasn't been as good in the playoffs, granted, his teams seem to always enter as the underdog.

How about you trade him to Ottawa and let him become our problem? Thanks.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
It's tough. These guys play 60 minutes a game for 60+ games a year and are expected to perform at 100% every night. Other players play 20-25 minutes, often less, and can be hot or cold. The marginal difference between a 'good' goalie and a 'bad' goalie isn't much but one or two saves a game can be the difference between missing the playoffs and being cup contenders. There's also a mental toughness that you need to be an effective goalie. I think they got the Gibson AAV right, but I don't think goalies should be signed to the full 8 years. Teams would be better off with 4-5 year deals but a good goalie has a ton of leverage in negotiating their contracts. There are so few of them out there.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
In hindsight the Anderson deal isn't bad. The problem is he's well past his prime and they signed him too early in the season. That said, had they waited until the end of the season he may have walked to free agency given his trade request.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:In hindsight the Anderson deal isn't bad. The problem is he's well past his prime and they signed him too early in the season. That said, had they waited until the end of the season he may have walked to free agency given his trade request.

That might have been best.time will tell.

All I know is Anderson asking for a trade is a little weird. After how the org has treated him...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:In hindsight the Anderson deal isn't bad. The problem is he's well past his prime and they signed him too early in the season. That said, had they waited until the end of the season he may have walked to free agency given his trade request.

It's very hard to tell what a goalie's "prime" is. I think it's varies from player to player. You can't say Anderson is "well past his prime" given that just over a year ago he was fantastic. This past season was an absolute disaster for the entire team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
It depends a lot on the goalie's style. Lundqvist plays deep in his crease and banks on his athleticism and quick reaction times. I think we've seen the best of King Henrik. Anderson plays best with he is aggressive and uses proper positioning to cut the angles. He will slow down but, perhaps, not as quickly.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:It depends a lot on the goalie's style. Lundqvist plays deep in his crease and banks on his athleticism and quick reaction times. I think we've seen the best of King Henrik.  Anderson plays best with he is aggressive and uses proper positioning to cut the angles. He will slow down but, perhaps, not as quickly.

Like I said, it varies from goalie to goalie. Hasek was a pretty athletic goalie, and he was great into his 40s in the NHL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum