GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Share

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1953
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Boucher said once before that he doesn't mind playing for the shootout because the Sens are decent at it.  And he wanted Pageau out against Crysby (and rightfully so)...so yeah, he used more of a defensive setup in OT, and it ended up working out (thanks to Condon too).  

    Condon played great.  What a game.  Losing Methot really stinks assuming he's not around at the start of the playoffs.  

    Honestly, a case could be made to re-sign Condon and protect him over Anderson. Have to think longevity here. I'd hate to lose Condon for nothing (UFA to Vegas or expansion draft), and have Andy retire in two years. Thoughts?

    Yeah, I don't see that ever happening. I don't see Condon as a starter. To me he's a good back-up thats having a great year behind a team that's playing a good defensive game.
    Im not sure that translates every year. There's too many things about his game watching him that I feel could turn against us. I'd like to resign  him but if he wants to bolt for another opportunity let him do so.

    Imagine we had ditched Anderson and gone with Hammond as our #1 as Ev suggested?  Yikes.  Similar scenario here, although at least we can all agree we'd like Condon back as the backup.

    He was also really solid in Montreal last year until the team collapsed around him. Even now, if Price isn't on his A-game the Habs lose. They're not a good team. They grossly overused him. This is back-to-back years of Condon being good, and he's shown that he can come off the bench and perform. I really don't think Vegas would pick up Anderson given his age and the number of good goalies that will be available to them via expansion draft and/or UFA pool.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1953
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:41 pm

    He's also been uninjured and carried the team all year vs Hammond carrying the team down the stretch. I mean anything can happy. Look at Brian Boucher...

    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:20 pm

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Boucher said once before that he doesn't mind playing for the shootout because the Sens are decent at it.  And he wanted Pageau out against Crysby (and rightfully so)...so yeah, he used more of a defensive setup in OT, and it ended up working out (thanks to Condon too).  

    Condon played great.  What a game.  Losing Methot really stinks assuming he's not around at the start of the playoffs.  

    Honestly, a case could be made to re-sign Condon and protect him over Anderson. Have to think longevity here. I'd hate to lose Condon for nothing (UFA to Vegas or expansion draft), and have Andy retire in two years. Thoughts?

    Yeah, I don't see that ever happening. I don't see Condon as a starter. To me he's a good back-up thats having a great year behind a team that's playing a good defensive game.
    Im not sure that translates every year. There's too many things about his game watching him that I feel could turn against us. I'd like to resign  him but if he wants to bolt for another opportunity let him do so.

    Imagine we had ditched Anderson and gone with Hammond as our #1 as Ev suggested?  Yikes.  Similar scenario here, although at least we can all agree we'd like Condon back as the backup.

    He was also really solid in Montreal last year until the team collapsed around him. Even now, if Price isn't on his A-game the Habs lose. They're not a good team. They grossly overused him. This is back-to-back years of Condon being good, and he's shown that he can come off the bench and perform. I really don't think Vegas would pick up Anderson given his age and the number of good goalies that will be available to them via expansion draft and/or UFA pool.

    You should have watched some of the Montreal games last year. He was terrible with rebounds. I think he's improved that aspect of his game I think he puts himself in some dangerous positions out there. He needs better poise and to keep to his net more.

    There's no telling if Vegas would pick up andersson or not but that's not a theory I want to test. I think the chances are much smaller that they pick up Condon. And if Condon is the player they select then we are alright. Guess we have to see first if he resigns. But as Tim has noted, there is a fair chance that Condon is our new Hammond.

    Lets not get too crazy here.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:22 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Boucher said once before that he doesn't mind playing for the shootout because the Sens are decent at it.  And he wanted Pageau out against Crysby (and rightfully so)...so yeah, he used more of a defensive setup in OT, and it ended up working out (thanks to Condon too).  

    Condon played great.  What a game.  Losing Methot really stinks assuming he's not around at the start of the playoffs.  

    Honestly, a case could be made to re-sign Condon and protect him over Anderson. Have to think longevity here. I'd hate to lose Condon for nothing (UFA to Vegas or expansion draft), and have Andy retire in two years. Thoughts?

    Yeah, I don't see that ever happening. I don't see Condon as a starter. To me he's a good back-up thats having a great year behind a team that's playing a good defensive game.
    Im not sure that translates every year. There's too many things about his game watching him that I feel could turn against us. I'd like to resign  him but if he wants to bolt for another opportunity let him do so.

    Imagine we had ditched Anderson and gone with Hammond as our #1 as Ev suggested?  Yikes.  Similar scenario here, although at least we can all agree we'd like Condon back as the backup.

    Although I enjoyed the run Hammond gave us I never thought he was more than a goalie getting hot. I'm not at all surprised he is where he is now. You almost never have goalies come out of nowhere and eventually become starters. Elliot is about as close as you'd get to that and it's arguable if he should even be a starter.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by spader on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:07 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Boucher said once before that he doesn't mind playing for the shootout because the Sens are decent at it.  And he wanted Pageau out against Crysby (and rightfully so)...so yeah, he used more of a defensive setup in OT, and it ended up working out (thanks to Condon too).  

    Condon played great.  What a game.  Losing Methot really stinks assuming he's not around at the start of the playoffs.  

    Honestly, a case could be made to re-sign Condon and protect him over Anderson. Have to think longevity here. I'd hate to lose Condon for nothing (UFA to Vegas or expansion draft), and have Andy retire in two years. Thoughts?

    Yeah, I don't see that ever happening. I don't see Condon as a starter. To me he's a good back-up thats having a great year behind a team that's playing a good defensive game.
    Im not sure that translates every year. There's too many things about his game watching him that I feel could turn against us. I'd like to resign  him but if he wants to bolt for another opportunity let him do so.

    Imagine we had ditched Anderson and gone with Hammond as our #1 as Ev suggested?  Yikes.  Similar scenario here, although at least we can all agree we'd like Condon back as the backup.

    Although I enjoyed the run Hammond gave us I never thought he was more than a goalie getting hot. I'm not at all surprised he is where he is now. You almost never have goalies come out of nowhere and eventually become starters. Elliot is about as close as you'd get to that and it's arguable if he should even be a starter.

    He does over commit sometimes and get caught out of position. The great thing is that he's often able to recover, but that's not always going to be the case. Either way, he's a much more sound goalie than Hammond. I really, really hope that the Sens can re-sign him and I hope that Vegas doesn't select him (Darling, Grubauer, or Saros are likely picks for a backup).

    I maintain that the Sens should sweeten the pot and try to get Vegas to take Ryan. If it costs a 3rd or something, that's an easy call for me. And yes, I know that most of you don't think they'd take him, but you can't stop me from hoping. :crossarms:
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:35 pm

    spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Boucher said once before that he doesn't mind playing for the shootout because the Sens are decent at it.  And he wanted Pageau out against Crysby (and rightfully so)...so yeah, he used more of a defensive setup in OT, and it ended up working out (thanks to Condon too).  

    Condon played great.  What a game.  Losing Methot really stinks assuming he's not around at the start of the playoffs.  

    Honestly, a case could be made to re-sign Condon and protect him over Anderson. Have to think longevity here. I'd hate to lose Condon for nothing (UFA to Vegas or expansion draft), and have Andy retire in two years. Thoughts?

    Yeah, I don't see that ever happening. I don't see Condon as a starter. To me he's a good back-up thats having a great year behind a team that's playing a good defensive game.
    Im not sure that translates every year. There's too many things about his game watching him that I feel could turn against us. I'd like to resign  him but if he wants to bolt for another opportunity let him do so.

    Imagine we had ditched Anderson and gone with Hammond as our #1 as Ev suggested?  Yikes.  Similar scenario here, although at least we can all agree we'd like Condon back as the backup.

    Although I enjoyed the run Hammond gave us I never thought he was more than a goalie getting hot. I'm not at all surprised he is where he is now. You almost never have goalies come out of nowhere and eventually become starters. Elliot is about as close as you'd get to that and it's arguable if he should even be a starter.

    He does over commit sometimes and get caught out of position. The great thing is that he's often able to recover, but that's not always going to be the case. Either way, he's a much more sound goalie than Hammond. I really, really hope that the Sens can re-sign him and I hope that Vegas doesn't select him (Darling, Grubauer, or Saros are likely picks for a backup).

    I maintain that the Sens should sweeten the pot and try to get Vegas to take Ryan. If it costs a 3rd or something, that's an easy call for me. And yes, I know that most of you don't think they'd take him, but you can't stop me from hoping. :crossarms:
    I think it might take more than a 3rd for them to take him. Remains to be seen.
    Ryan seems very unhappy these days when being interviewed by the media. it may get to a point where he'd like to be moved also. Somewhere they might not have so much attention on him. Would Vegas be a place like that? I'm not sure.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 pm

    I always say that it will create a gap to fill if we part with Ryan but with not producing much you would think that could be addressed via trade. But it will need to be addressed. If we are to see him go we will be left without a top 6 RW and a a top 6 LW.
    O don't belieave burrows is much more than a third liner next year.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47964
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm

    Did you see the Ryan interview last night? He was on Bell All Access.
    https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/c-50763403

    Whatcha that of you think he's unhappy with media. He was great.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 pm

    wprager wrote:Did you see the Ryan interview last night? He was on Bell All Access.
    https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/c-50763403

    Whatcha that of you think he's unhappy with media.  He was great.
    I wouldn't call all access "the media" but he did seem to be enjoying himself there. There are plenty of other moments where he seems ticked off.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47964
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by wprager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 am

    Priceless when Gordie (who is media) asks him if he's scoreboard watching and that they are 2 back of Montreal, and Ryan says, no, I'm pretty sure we're just 1 back.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54435
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by PTFlea on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 am

    Ryan's been strong since he came back,  more proof that he's not the best conditioned player
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20866
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Ev on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:25 pm

    PTFlea wrote:Ryan's been strong since he came back,  more proof that he's not the best conditioned player

    That doesn't make much sense
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54435
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by PTFlea on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

    Ev wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Ryan's been strong since he came back,  more proof that he's not the best conditioned player

    That doesn't make much sense
    I thought maybe the time off helped.  I can't figure him out.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47964
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by wprager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:03 pm

    Read an article recently about recovery from sports hernia surgery. Last week Giroux said he was still not completely over his off season surgery, even though he said he was 100% at training camp. I wonder if Ryan ever got over his.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm

    wprager wrote:Read an article recently about recovery from sports hernia surgery. Last week Giroux said he was still not completely over his off season surgery, even though he said he was 100% at training camp.  I wonder if Ryan ever got over his.
    Thats might very well be the case.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13130
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Flo The Action on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:16 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Ryan's been strong since he came back,  more proof that he's not the best conditioned player

    That doesn't make much sense
    I thought maybe the time off helped.  I can't figure him out.

    Well all that matters is he plays well, and he's doing alright these days. Hopefully he maintains that over the playoffs.

    Sponsored content

    Re: GDT - Game #73: Pens @ Sens, Mar 23, 2017, 7:30pm

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm