Cord Cutting

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47377
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Cord Cutting

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Paperclip on the upstairs TV gets me all 8 channels listed in the TVFool report as green (tunable with an indoor antenna). All of these are at the Camp Fortune transmitter.

I just realized something. I've been looking at the TVFool report for the new place, but I'm still at the old house. I'm about 5 miles closer to the Manotick tower at the new place. But 5 miles won't make that much of a difference (well within 30 miles of either tower in either location). Anyhow, I ran the TVFool report for my current house and, despite the Manotick transmitter actually being about 6 miles further away, those stations are listed in green (indoor mount). I am assuming Morgan's Grant elevation is a little better than Bridlewood.

Still, that means I should be able to pick up a cheap antenna at a garage sale this weekend and get CityTV and the OMNI stations. And, who knows, with an amplifier I could do even better.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24717
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

wprager wrote:Paperclip on the upstairs TV gets me all 8 channels listed in the TVFool report as green (tunable with an indoor antenna).  All of these are at the Camp Fortune transmitter.  

I just realized something.  I've been looking at the TVFool report for the new place, but I'm still at the old house.  I'm about 5 miles closer to the Manotick tower at the new place.  But 5 miles won't make that much of a difference (well within 30 miles of either tower in either location).  Anyhow, I ran the TVFool report for my current house and, despite the Manotick transmitter actually being about 6 miles further away, those stations are listed in green (indoor mount).  I am assuming Morgan's Grant elevation is a little better than Bridlewood.

Still, that means I should be able to pick up a cheap antenna at a garage sale this weekend and get CityTV and the OMNI stations.  And, who knows, with an amplifier I could do even better.  

Quit stalling and cut the damn cord already!

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16067
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Please. This is tedious.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Then don't read it.

Had to drive my daughter to Bayshore add I ducked into The Source. They had a $30 antenna at 50% off. Absolutely no difference from the paper clip. Same signal strength, too (at least as far as what the TV shows). I'll be returning it, of course. Eventually I'll try building my own, a 4-bay bow tie is ready enough.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:18 pm

wprager wrote:Then don't read it.

Had to drive my daughter to Bayshore add I ducked into The Source. They had a $30 antenna at 50% off.  Absolutely no difference from the paper clip.  Same signal strength, too (at least as far as what the TV shows).  I'll be returning it, of course. Eventually I'll try building my own, a 4-bay bow tie is ready enough.

Oh Walter, I'm just kidding. I love hearing about the TV reception you get with a paperclip.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:54 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Then don't read it.

Had to drive my daughter to Bayshore add I ducked into The Source. They had a $30 antenna at 50% off.  Absolutely no difference from the paper clip.  Same signal strength, too (at least as far as what the TV shows).  I'll be returning it, of course. Eventually I'll try building my own, a 4-bay bow tie is ready enough.

Oh Walter, I'm just kidding. I love hearing about the TV reception you get with a paperclip.

Wait... An actual paperclip?! I thought it was a store bought antenna called "The Paperclip." Laughing3
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Actual paperclip. Not a small one. And I unfolded it.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:15 pm

wprager wrote:Actual paperclip. Not a small one. And I unfolded it.

Yikes.

I think I may go with an outdoor antenna. It'll get me all the US networks and probably the Canadian ones too. That definitely won't be til the fall.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:08 pm

In my case I'll be 15 miles from Camp Fortune and 14 from Manotick. I may not even need to go in the attic.

Other transmitters are 75+ miles out. I'd need a fairly large antenna and a mast. The WAF on those is impossible to overcome.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Looks like you'll need a pretty substantial antenna.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:29 am

The playoffs are almost here. Who will have the guts to cut the cord now?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:34 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:The playoffs are almost here. Who will have the guts to cut the cord now?

All I need is a paperclip:

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 am

I have no idea how it works at CBC but if it's the Sens and Leafs I'm fairly confident CBOT will carry that game in the East/early slot. And in the second round you would have at least one of Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto and no Canadian teams in the Met. Now, if Ottawa plays the Bruins, not sure. Guess we'll see.

Plus I was always thinking of paying for NHL games.

Now, can someone educate me as to what is available from the NHL *without* cable. So streaming online. What the heck are "aout-of-market" games? Does that mean that I would pay $200 to watch only Ottawa road games?

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am

wprager wrote:I have no idea how it works at CBC but if it's the Sens and Leafs I'm fairly confident CBOT will carry that game in the East/early slot.  And in the second round you would have at least one of Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto and no Canadian teams in the Met.  Now, if Ottawa plays the Bruins, not sure.  Guess we'll see.

Plus I was always thinking of paying for NHL games.  

Now, can someone educate me as to what is available from the NHL *without* cable.  So streaming online.  What the heck are "aout-of-market" games?  Does that mean that I would pay $200 to watch only Ottawa road games?

I had NHL TV and you would get to see all Ottawa games. Out of market are the games that aren't broadcast in your local market. There are blackouts for Toronto regional games, I believe. Maybe Montreal as well.

Other than that free streams are readily available, as I'm sure you know.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am

I was hoping that was the case. Since we don't have a local Ottawa games broadcaster (or Leafs TV) all the games are considered "out of market". Too bad they don't explain that (or, if they do, it's not right up-front).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 am

You should look in to what CBC will be streaming online in terms of playoff games....
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am

tim1_2 wrote:You should look in to what CBC will be streaming online in terms of playoff games....

Me?

Bummer, just checked and CBOT will be airing the Habs-Rangers game on Wednesday. Then Thursday it's the Caps-Leafs,of course. Friday back to Habs-Rags and Saturday when Sens play next it's the Leafs, again. Boo!

More of the same next week until they get to "Teams to be decided". Hopefully the Leafs are swept and Habs play on different nights than the Sens. m I really wanted to catch some playoffs in *true* HD with my paperclip.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 am

For those not interested in figuring out how to configure (and use) Kodi, there is also Shoebox. You won't find it on Google Play Store (there is a Shoebox app but that's not it) but you can easily download and install it.

You get more out of the box but you won't get as much content (you will have all the new and popular stuff but not the more obscure titles, and there are no sports options).

This is definitely the better option for someone less tech savvy (like your parents/inlaws).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 8:27 am