Cord Cutting

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16281
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Cord Cutting

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 am

You should look in to what CBC will be streaming online in terms of playoff games....

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47790
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am

tim1_2 wrote:You should look in to what CBC will be streaming online in terms of playoff games....

Me?

Bummer, just checked and CBOT will be airing the Habs-Rangers game on Wednesday. Then Thursday it's the Caps-Leafs,of course. Friday back to Habs-Rags and Saturday when Sens play next it's the Leafs, again. Boo!

More of the same next week until they get to "Teams to be decided". Hopefully the Leafs are swept and Habs play on different nights than the Sens. m I really wanted to catch some playoffs in *true* HD with my paperclip.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 am

For those not interested in figuring out how to configure (and use) Kodi, there is also Shoebox. You won't find it on Google Play Store (there is a Shoebox app but that's not it) but you can easily download and install it.

You get more out of the box but you won't get as much content (you will have all the new and popular stuff but not the more obscure titles, and there are no sports options).

This is definitely the better option for someone less tech savvy (like your parents/inlaws).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:42 am

I also installed Caststream (for live sports) and will check out how it works tonight this afternoon. PQ of replays looked good on a 5.5" screen but not sure about casting out to the TV (it runs in Chrome as one option,  so I'll try it via Chromecast tonight).  The main splash screen nags you to "donate" and says donors have access to 720p streams.  So it sounds like free will be lower quality.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:10 am

wprager wrote:I also installed Caststream (for live sports) and will check out how it works tonight this afternoon. PQ of replays looked good on a 5.5" screen but not sure about casting out to the TV (it runs in Chrome as one option,  so I'll try it via Chromecast tonight).  The main splash screen nags you to "donate" and says donors have access to 720p streams.  So it sounds like free will be lower quality.

Just cut the damn cord already!!!!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:11 am

I can't yet. Breaking the contract will cost me $300. I was going to rationalize posting that out of they were going to charge me for the move to the new place, but they are doing it for free. So I'll stay for a while longer.

Even though I cancelled the HBO package some of the channels that added are still available, notably Space. Last season of Orphan Black is coming. By the time that's done I should have my antenna settled. Keep in mind at this point I don't know how that's going to work -- I need CityTV and any of the Manotick tower stations have been problematic. If I need to mount it in the attic I'll need to hire a guy to fish the lead down to the basement. Anyone know a "cable" guy? I used to, but his email must have changed.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon May 22, 2017 4:01 pm

I *finally* started building my first real DIY antenna. I've tried the paperclip,  the crappy one from The Source,  and the fractal antenna kit from Lee Valley Tools. Not satisfied with any of them. At least with the one from Lee Valley I not have a balun to use in the DIY one.

Decided on a 4-bay bowtie,  which should give me pretty decent UHF reception.  CJOH is on VHF-Hi so that might give me issues; I'll tackle that later.

The DIY version typically looks something like this:

After I completed the first bay (one bowtie) I tried it out right away. A scan found 12 channels (had only 5 before) but one was an analog channel and the signal was too low on 2 or 3 of them. Encouraging.

I got to 3 bays before I ran out of coat hangers. At this point I'm down to just 10 channels (apparently reception changes through the day), I can only get City-TV if I hold it up (this likely means I will eventually need an attic install, as I suspected) and, of course, I don't have CJOH.

I suspect that long term I will end up getting the 8-bay version from Costco (aim one half at the Manotick tower and the other at Camp Fortune, add a VHF antenna of done sort fur CJOH and use a signal combiner to join the two.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue May 23, 2017 9:11 am

With my $80 antenna from home, I got around 12 channels. It's a directional antenna, and I had it sitting on my dining room table pointing at nothing in particular.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 am

What is your $80 antenna? Are the 12 channels coming in strong 24x7 or are some sporadic? Do you get CJOH (it's the only one of the locals that's still on VHF-Hi. The bowtie, specifically, is UHF only (doesn't mean you can't pull in VHF but you won't have any signal attenuation in the VHF frequencies - would have to be a strong signal).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah, CJOH is one of the channels listed. I can't tell you if they were "coming in strong 24x7" because I only hooked it up to test it before I went camping. I can tell you that the antenna pulled in CBC Ottawa from just south of Potsdam, NY, so I guess it does a decent job. Some of the trailers around with "omni-directional" antennas couldn't get CBC. Here's my antenna:

http://www.terk.com/outdoor-antennas/?sku=LOGTVO

It's 10 years old. I would guess that you would want some sort of omni-directional antenna, or I guess the homemade one covers that base too.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Looks like you lucked out. This antenna is highly-directional for UHF, I assume you had to aim it to get CBC. I believe the "christmas tree" part in the front is the VHF part and UHF is just the one element in the back. Ironic, given that the only VHF channel around here is CJOH, the rest are all UHF. I'm curious, since it's "highly-directional", where you aimed it to get all those channels. My guess is that you are only pulling in the ones from Camp Fortune (CBC, Global, CJOH, TVO, OMNI, TVA). CityTV and CHCH are two that are in Manotick. Do you get either one of those?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 pm

It doesn't look pretty, but I completed my 4-bay bowtie. Last couple segments were shorter than the others as I used one of those cheater hangers (cardboard tube fur the bottom part and the wire only goes an inch inside the tube, not all the way across). Held it up on my shoulder as I ran the scan and got 14 channels. CJOH is now available. I'll check again tonight. Costco sells a 4-bay for $40. From the given dimensions and the picture the whiskers look to be about the size I used, if not a little longer. So it looks like $40 and an attic mount will be enough. I've seen installation (run cable from attic to basement where the cable comes in) for $200.

As soon as Orphan Black is done.

Now, can I get HBO without cable or Bell subscription?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 pm

wprager wrote:Looks like you lucked out.  This antenna is highly-directional for UHF, I assume you had to aim it to get CBC. I believe the "christmas tree" part in the front is the VHF part and UHF is just the one element in the back.  Ironic, given that the only VHF channel around here is CJOH, the rest are all UHF.  I'm curious, since it's "highly-directional", where you aimed it to get all those channels.  My guess is that you are only pulling in the ones from Camp Fortune (CBC, Global, CJOH, TVO, OMNI, TVA).  CityTV and CHCH are two that are in Manotick.  Do you get either one of those?

I had City and CHCH. My antenna when I had it on my dining room table was pointing north...maybe northwest a bit. I definitely had to aim it north from my campsite to get CBC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 pm