Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Playoffs 2017: Canadian Edition

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:20 am

Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:I have zero respect for bandwagon fanbases like Nashville. Let's see how they fare when their team isn't good in a couple of years.

The same as the Sens?

What?

Team got good in the mid-2000s, tickets sold well. Lately with a medicore team, ticket sales not so good.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47682
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:48 am

Nashville has had a very strong, very vocal fanbase for a long time. The term "Smashville" was started (voted by fans) 12 years ago. They've been in the high 90s (percent tickets sold) for a while.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:10 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:I have zero respect for bandwagon fanbases like Nashville. Let's see how they fare when their team isn't good in a couple of years.

The same as the Sens?

What?

Team got good in the mid-2000s, tickets sold well. Lately with a medicore team, ticket sales not so good.
    Yeah, I think the team managed to sell the idea that we were a better team than we actually were from 2008 to 2014 and that kept the bandwagon fans coming. But the team stretch of being half decent until now has caught up to those fans. I believe this playoff run came at just the right time to boost fan expectations and drive fans back to the rink. We could have really seen how much bandwagoning this team really had had we really sucked it for a good 4-5 year stretch.

I don't think Ottawa is exempt from having a fairly large section of their fan base being bandwagon.
    That's just normal in many sports markets. We just think otherwise because we've iced such a competitive or half decent team for long stretches.
    I think Toronto is the only team that could fill seats and that's likely thanks to corporate giveaways. Even Montreal suffered in the late 90's eRly 2000's. They did a great job building a new identity with young fans to drive market sales but it remains that they feel they have to remain competitive at all costs because they fear loosing those revenues. The habs of today are like the leafs of the mid to late 2000's.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20775
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

The same as the Sens?

What?

That's not even close to being bad. When a team like Nashville, Florida, Arizona etc is bad, the fans don't go. Sens have had one meh season in the last 15 years attendance-wise. This isn't even comparable. Tickets sales are not bad in Ottawa.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 am

Holy poop do I ever not care about the rest of the Finals. It's taking way too long. I will tune in for a Game 7 if it gets there.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Nashville went down to around the low 14, 000s *average* attendance a few years after starting (when the singer wore off but they were still bad). That's still not comparable to Arizona, Florida or even New Jersey.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:41 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Holy poop do I ever not care about the rest of the Finals. It's taking way too long. I will tune in for a Game 7 if it gets there.

I think I care more about Pittsburgh not winning then who wins. Does that make sense? I thought there was a game on last night so I turned the TV on a little after 10, thinking of catching the last period. So, yeah, interest level quite low.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:43 pm

While I still won't watch a whole game, I'm interested in whether GS will run the tables. That would be something. Maybe we will get a "Crying Lebron" meme out of it.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Well well well... preds really letting Pitts get away with this one.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:37 am

God...just unwatchable garbage.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 pm

It'll all come down to game 7.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:49 pm

wprager wrote:It'll all come down to game 7.
    Who knows really. That was a terrible game for the preds. They might be toast.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20775
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Series is going 7. It's totally scripted.

In all seriousness, can't see Nashville losing at home.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Penguins win another cup. How anticlimactic is that....

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 am

Awful game. Disallowed goal was a huge momentum swing. But they couldn't get anything done on the PP. PK we skating like he was injured.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 am

I turned it off after the quick whistle screwed Nashville. Holy crapballs I'd be furious if I was a Preds fan.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 am

I get that he lost sight of the puck, but that in and of itself is not a valid reason for blowing the whistle with four officials on the ice.

If they can, on a review, determine whether or not a player's actions prevented the goalie from being able to stop the puck, surely they can determine whether the whistle had any affect (i.e. is it reasonable to assume that the quick whistle did not make the goalie or defensemen stop trying to compete). Why did they even bother talking about it or reviewing it?

The whole mentality of "I lost sight of the puck therefore I must blow the play dead" had to go away. One of the four sets of eyes at ice level has to actually see the puck frozen to blow the play dead. If you don't see it, don't assume; get in a better position. Worst case, a review will show if the goalie had the puck frozen before someone dislodged it and put it on (Daley's goal).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 am

wprager wrote:I get that he lost sight of the puck, but that in and of itself is not a valid reason for blowing the whistle with four officials on the ice.

If they can, on a review, determine whether or not a player's actions prevented the goalie from being able to stop the puck, surely they can determine whether the whistle had any affect (i.e. is it reasonable to assume that the quick whistle did not make the goalie or defensemen stop trying to compete). Why did they even bother talking about it or reviewing it?

The whole mentality of "I lost sight of the puck therefore I must blow the play dead" had to go away. One of the four sets of eyes at ice level has to actually see the puck frozen to blow the play dead. If you don't see it, don't assume; get in a better position. Worst case, a review will show if the goalie had the puck frozen before someone dislodged it and put it on (Daley's goal).

Yeah, pretty much. I agree. Let someone who SEES it frozen blow it dead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:10 am