Playoffs 2017: Canadian Edition

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16166
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Playoffs 2017: Canadian Edition

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 am

I turned it off after the quick whistle screwed Nashville. Holy crapballs I'd be furious if I was a Preds fan.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47524
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 am

I get that he lost sight of the puck, but that in and of itself is not a valid reason for blowing the whistle with four officials on the ice.

If they can, on a review, determine whether or not a player's actions prevented the goalie from being able to stop the puck, surely they can determine whether the whistle had any affect (i.e. is it reasonable to assume that the quick whistle did not make the goalie or defensemen stop trying to compete). Why did they even bother talking about it or reviewing it?

The whole mentality of "I lost sight of the puck therefore I must blow the play dead" had to go away. One of the four sets of eyes at ice level has to actually see the puck frozen to blow the play dead. If you don't see it, don't assume; get in a better position. Worst case, a review will show if the goalie had the puck frozen before someone dislodged it and put it on (Daley's goal).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16166
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 am

wprager wrote:I get that he lost sight of the puck, but that in and of itself is not a valid reason for blowing the whistle with four officials on the ice.

If they can, on a review, determine whether or not a player's actions prevented the goalie from being able to stop the puck, surely they can determine whether the whistle had any affect (i.e. is it reasonable to assume that the quick whistle did not make the goalie or defensemen stop trying to compete). Why did they even bother talking about it or reviewing it?

The whole mentality of "I lost sight of the puck therefore I must blow the play dead" had to go away. One of the four sets of eyes at ice level has to actually see the puck frozen to blow the play dead. If you don't see it, don't assume; get in a better position. Worst case, a review will show if the goalie had the puck frozen before someone dislodged it and put it on (Daley's goal).

Yeah, pretty much. I agree. Let someone who SEES it frozen blow it dead.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20698
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 am

LMAO Sens 33-1 to win Cup, 19th best odds. Toronto at 16-1.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:52 am