Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: PGDT #3, Sens @ Bruins, April 17, 7PM

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am

wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I missed periods 2 and 3.  How did boston come back from 3-0?

It was pretty flukey to be honest.  They obviously were pressing pretty hard, but they ended up with a 5 on 3 goal and also a goal where the puck hopped over Bobby's stick and then he fell down.

Fair enough,  that's better I guess.  Haven't seen the highlights yet.

You mean you didn't watch it live???!

I had the worst friggin migraine ever last night. Don't really get them often, but I sat in front of a computer most of the day working on stuff. Very annoying to say the least.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13586

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 am

PTFlea wrote:Ugh, poor Bobby Ryan before he became the hero.  

PS - We should all talk about Bobby Ryan.  He's becoming a monster in these playoffs!

Not just him. The big guys are stepping up. Hoffman, Brassard, Karlsson and Ryan.

Time to see a little more from Stone (more injured than we thought?) Turris and Smith.

Overall pretty happy though.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Ugh, poor Bobby Ryan before he became the hero.  

PS - We should all talk about Bobby Ryan.  He's becoming a monster in these playoffs!

Not just him. The big guys are stepping up.  Hoffman, Brassard, Karlsson and Ryan.

Time to see a little more from Stone (more injured than we thought?) Turris and Smith.

Overall pretty happy though.

I've thought Smith has been stellar personally. Again, I missed a fair bit of last night, but he's been all over the place vs Boston, I've thought.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47670
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 am

Yep, Smith was bringing it, especially since Boro is out. Smith also got banged up himself there. Got hit with (IIRC) a Chara cross-check to the ribs. Not fun.

Speaking of Chara, I know he used to be a Senator and he's getting up there in age, but does anyone else think someone should put him out of his own and our misery with a nice borderline hit? He's been playing a lot pike Phaneuf, except I see him going after smaller players like the elbow to the back of the head of Pageau last night (slamming him into the boards from behind -- sure, that's where his elbow lines up because of the height differential, but still) and then, later, on Dzingel. Phaneuf only goes after the big guys, it seems, or if he is provoked.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am

That pass by Karlsson...still boggles the mind that it landed so perfectly on Hoffman's stick.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am

wprager wrote:Yep, Smith was bringing it, especially since Boro is out.  Smith also got banged up himself there.  Got hit with (IIRC) a Chara cross-check to the ribs. Not fun.

Speaking of Chara, I know he used to be a Senator and he's getting up there in age, but does anyone else think someone should put him out of his own and our misery with a nice borderline hit?  He's been playing a lot pike Phaneuf, except I see him going after smaller players like the elbow to the back of the head of Pageau last night (slamming him into the boards from behind -- sure, that's where his elbow lines up because of the height differential, but still) and then, later, on Dzingel.  Phaneuf only goes after the big guys, it seems, or if he is provoked.

Meh, he's going all out knowing it's one of his last chances. Can't fault how competitive he is. I wish we had him going into next year.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:46 am

PTFlea wrote:
    wprager wrote:Yep, Smith was bringing it, especially since Boro is out.  Smith also got banged up himself there.  Got hit with (IIRC) a Chara cross-check to the ribs. Not fun.

Speaking of Chara, I know he used to be a Senator and he's getting up there in age, but does anyone else think someone should put him out of his own and our misery with a nice borderline hit?  He's been playing a lot pike Phaneuf, except I see him going after smaller players like the elbow to the back of the head of Pageau last night (slamming him into the boards from behind -- sure, that's where his elbow lines up because of the height differential, but still) and then, later, on Dzingel.  Phaneuf only goes after the big guys, it seems, or if he is provoked.

Meh, he's going all out knowing it's one of his last chances.  Can't fault how competitive he is.  I wish we had him going into next year.

Of course you do. You realize he's in his early 60s right?
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah, I'll give Bobby some props after being a harsh critic. He's been very good and I'm extremely happy for him. There's hope for his contract!
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12918
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Smith has been great. Might have not scored but he's been buzzing around the ice like crazy and actually been a pain in the Donkey of the Bruins all game last night.

It's hard to say many negatives about Bobby. He maybe behind a few giveaways but other players have been more guilty of those this round. If anything the sens could improve it should be on those. It would go a long way to not exhaust them having to chase back the puck. Again, of anyone comes across the possession numbers for last night I'd like to see them. I'm not a big analytics guy so I don't really know where any of those would be available
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm

spader wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:

Meh, he's going all out knowing it's one of his last chances.  Can't fault how competitive he is.  I wish we had him going into next year.

Of course you do. You realize he's in his early 60s right?

Huh? smokeweedeveryday
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47670
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Smith has been great. Might have not scored but he's been buzzing around the ice like crazy and actually been a pain in the Donkey of the Bruins all game last night.

If you recall, I picked him for the winner in OT Smile

Flo The Action wrote:
    It's hard to say many negatives about Bobby. He maybe behind a few giveaways but other players have been more guilty of those this round. If anything the sens could improve it should be on those. It would go a long way to not exhaust them having to chase back the puck. Again, of anyone comes across the possession numbers for last night I'd like to see them. I'm not a big analytics guy so I don't really know where any of those would be available

Ryan has been consistent since the first period of game 1. I've been saying for a while how a lot of his offensive woes may be injury related. Including his penchant for falling down which may be related to the sports hernia surgery he had the off-season before last. If you never expect him to skate like Dzingel it'll be much easier to appreciate him.

That said, next time there is a puck flipped toward him and he's the last line of defense, he may want to do a better job trapping it rather than try to catch it with his stick.

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 pm

spader wrote:That Brassard trade looks better through 3 playoff games. He was a beast again tonight. 

Karlsson was obviously exceptional. How does he do that? That pass to break Hoffman couldn't have been more perfect and he did it from the goal line. 

Hoffman was great too. 

Flo mentioned above that Stone has been slow. I agree. He doesn't look 100%.

He's definitely not playing at anything close to 100%.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Yup, hopefully we end this series soon and rest Stone. Or even rest him up 3-1
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I'll give Bobby some props after being a harsh critic.  He's been very good and I'm extremely happy for him.  There's hope for his contract!

It would do everyone good -- the organization long term, the Sens playoff performance short term, and his own career and market value -- if he had a good playoffs. Right now, I can't imagine Ryan is someone we want to protect heading into the expansion draft. His play could change that, or make him a target of real interest from Los Vegas.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

It's one of those things...you acquire a star player and he might suck for you from time to time - and BOY has Ryan sucked, but you get to the playoffs and it's a whole new ballgame.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1884
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I'll give Bobby some props after being a harsh critic.  He's been very good and I'm extremely happy for him.  There's hope for his contract!

It would do everyone good -- the organization long term, the Sens playoff performance short term, and his own career and market value -- if he had a good playoffs. Right now, I can't imagine Ryan is someone we want to protect heading into the expansion draft. His play could change that, or make him a target of real interest from Los Vegas.

It's one of those lose-lose situations where his performance may drive the org to protect him and he disappoints us next season or we let him go and he destroys it somewhere else. With the lists now being made public I think it's in the team's best interest to protect him and trade him down the road if there is a market for him. If they expose him and Vegas doesn't take him it looks terrible from a perception standpoint. I think having MacArthur back will be huge for his career. Part of the reason Ryan re-signed here was because of his relationship with MacArthur. It's evident to me that they have a ton of chemistry on and off the ice.

As I've stated before, I think Methot is the player that ends up being taken by Vegas. With Phaneuf's contract I think Ottawa will want to keep him (declining money year-to-year), and with the emergence of Harpur as a big shutdown d-man, I think Methot becomes a bit more expendable. The Sens will have access to: Karlsson, Methot, Ceci, Phaneuf, Boro, Wideman, Claesson, Harpur, Englund, and Chabot next season.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1884
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:59 pm

PTFlea wrote:It's one of those things...you acquire a star player and he might suck for you from time to time - and BOY has Ryan sucked, but you get to the playoffs and it's a whole new ballgame.

Brass is sure making Zib look bad right now. Was not the case in the regular season.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:It's one of those things...you acquire a star player and he might suck for you from time to time - and BOY has Ryan sucked, but you get to the playoffs and it's a whole new ballgame.

Brass is sure making Zib look bad right now. Was not the case in the regular season.

I don't agree. Points aren't everything and while Zib would go on cold streaks and be good for nothing, Brassard was always a solid 200 foot engine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 am