Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48297
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Sens - Rangers: Round Two Preview

Post by wprager on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Tons of tickets still available if anyone's thinking about going.  I went to two games in the first round and they lost them both, so I think I'll hold off and see how things look for game 5 and maybe game 7.

I'm too busy spending money I don't have on buying stuff for the new house (shutters/blinds, A/C washer/dryer, dishwasher, hardwood flooring, eavestroughs, puppy & supplies, etc.)

Maybe next year -- smaller house, save on cable ...

0-2 jinx also

I don't remember the last time I went to a playoff game. Probably game 6 of the Conference Finals between the Flyers and Habs. Montreal lost 4-3 but what a game. My buddy and I got standing room tickets last-second but because everyone was standing, you pretty much had to pull yourself up on the divider behind the last row. Since your hands were busy keeping yourself up in the air, you had to holler and bang your feet on the divider to make noise. I couldn't talk for a couple of days and my shins were all bruised from kicking the divider.

I think we paid either $8 or $14 per ticket, which is still under $30 today.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54629
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 am

wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Claesson is probably better than Wideman at this point, although they could both use to gain some muscle, so it's pretty much a wash.  Harper in for Boro is not a negative at all, although Boro is a tank.

Interestingly, for most of the year (and last year, as well) Wideman has been the Sens best possession metrics guy (Corsi).  Claesson -- although the sample size is much smaller -- is pretty much at the same level if not slightly ahead in some categories.  There is no secret as to why Claesson was third among our D in points-per-game (he was just slightly behind Phaneuf, who gets half his points on the PP).  So 5v5 he's our second most productive defenseman.  He never passes up an opportunity to shoot the puck, and wastes no time doing it.  

All that said, the deployment pattern among the D is really telling.  Wideman had the most offensive-zone starts as a percentage of total, at 63%.  Claesson was next at nearly 58%.  Everyone picks on Ceci, but he has the lowest number on the team with 46.6% offensive zone starts (even higher than Phaneuf -- that's probably because of Phaneuf's 2nd unit PP time).  I have no idea why Ceci is deployed like that, you'd have to ask Crawford.  But it does explain why he's so often hemmed in, fighting to get the puck out and so on.  Given that Karlsson is so much better at getting out of our end, maybe they should flip this and give the bulk of the defensive zone starts to Karlsson.  Sure, his offensive numbers will decrease, and Ceci's will increase, but I wonder if the overall effect on the team will positive.
    That's the catch 22 though, obviously. 

I like Claesson,  he has really sneaky offensive skills and jumps into the play really well.  And a great shot.  He's a keeper and it appear harper might be too.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2032
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am

PTFlea wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Claesson is probably better than Wideman at this point, although they could both use to gain some muscle, so it's pretty much a wash.  Harper in for Boro is not a negative at all, although Boro is a tank.

Interestingly, for most of the year (and last year, as well) Wideman has been the Sens best possession metrics guy (Corsi).  Claesson -- although the sample size is much smaller -- is pretty much at the same level if not slightly ahead in some categories.  There is no secret as to why Claesson was third among our D in points-per-game (he was just slightly behind Phaneuf, who gets half his points on the PP).  So 5v5 he's our second most productive defenseman.  He never passes up an opportunity to shoot the puck, and wastes no time doing it.  

All that said, the deployment pattern among the D is really telling.  Wideman had the most offensive-zone starts as a percentage of total, at 63%.  Claesson was next at nearly 58%.  Everyone picks on Ceci, but he has the lowest number on the team with 46.6% offensive zone starts (even higher than Phaneuf -- that's probably because of Phaneuf's 2nd unit PP time).  I have no idea why Ceci is deployed like that, you'd have to ask Crawford.  But it does explain why he's so often hemmed in, fighting to get the puck out and so on.  Given that Karlsson is so much better at getting out of our end, maybe they should flip this and give the bulk of the defensive zone starts to Karlsson.  Sure, his offensive numbers will decrease, and Ceci's will increase, but I wonder if the overall effect on the team will positive.

I like Claesson,  he has really sneaky offensive skills and jumps into the play really well.  And a great shot.  He's a keeper and it appear harper might be too.

Ceci had a rough season, but I am not really understanding of all the hate. He was a mid 1st rd pick, he's 23 years old, and he's already a top-four d-man. Sure, he can be better and maybe expectations of him from an offensive standpoint were too high, but he's done his job for the most part. I think maybe people are upset that the numbers aren't there, but we definitely noticed the impact he has on the blueline while he was injured, and the impact he had when he was back.

I am still not sure if they should protect him over Methot. I think there is a logjam on D right now as it is and it would make more sense long-term for Ottawa to lose Methot, but I feel as though the fan-base as a collective would be more upset about losing Methot over Ceci. All this to say organization has some tough decisions to make. Personally I would look at trading him and as I have stated in the past a deal for Trouba would be great. But even then, we have 9 NHL ready defencemen on our roster so maybe bringing in a defenceman isn't the right call to make.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13342
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Ceci had a rough season, but I am not really understanding of all the hate. He was a mid 1st rd pick, he's 23 years old, and he's already a top-four d-man. Sure, he can be better and maybe expectations of him from an offensive standpoint were too high, but he's done his job for the most part. I think maybe people are upset that the numbers aren't there, but we definitely noticed the impact he has on the blueline while he was injured, and the impact he had when he was back.

I am still not sure if they should protect him over Methot. I think there is a logjam on D right now as it is and it would make more sense long-term for Ottawa to lose Methot, but I feel as though the fan-base as a collective would be more upset about losing Methot over Ceci. All this to say organization has some tough decisions to make. Personally I would look at trading him and as I have stated in the past a deal for Trouba would be great. But even then, we have 9 NHL ready defencemen on our roster so maybe bringing in a defenceman isn't the right call to make.
    I don't care what the fan base thinks.
    And for what it's worth, I think even most of ceci's critics understand that he has more value if we need to trade him than methot with a history of injury. I think Phaneuf might waive his clause or the sens make a trade before the draft.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am