Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47964
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

R2GDT#1: Rangers @ Sens, April 27, 7:00pm

Post by wprager on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:33 am

Round two, baby!

Except we won't have Bob Cole calling the play by play. Instead we get Paul Romanuk with Garry Galley providing the color commentary.

Senators are the overwhelming underdog against an Original Six American team. Where have we heard this before? A few analysts are extending us the courtesy of predicting Rangers in 7. Most aren't that kind. Never mind that New York was thoroughly outplayed by Montreal and needed an unsustainable .947 SV% from Lundqvist to advance. Never mind that their leading scorer has 4 points, whereas Brassard is second only to Malkin. Never mind that Kreider has been nearly invisible. Never mind that Boro is still out. Never mind that Vigneault took over when Vancouver fired Crawford.

Just never mind.

Boro still out, and Wideman scratched, giving is a third pairing of Claesson-Harpur. Pyatt says he's ready to go, so Wingels likely to be scratched. No other changes expected.

Go Sens Go!!!

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1953
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Re: R2GDT#1: Rangers @ Sens, April 27, 7:00pm

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 am

Anyone else feeling underwhelmed by the Sens being in the second round or is that just me?

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:01 am

Don't mean to be a buzz kill but it doesn't seem like there is a lot of buzz around the city for the Sens right now. Tickets still remaining, not a lot of energy around the office.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54435
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Anyone else feeling underwhelmed by the Sens being in the second round or is that just me?
    What do you mean?  In the city?  This has always been a bandwagon city.  What have you done for me lately kind of feeling, I don't know why, but suddenlyin 2007 the fans were nuts, like a switch was turned, so hopefully that'll happen again.

My personal opinion is that I'm extremely proud of them.  Like, you go boys!  This is all about 2 years early from contender status and even though we're big underdogs,  I think we could win this series.

Go Sens!
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:34 am

Nah, I think there's a decent amount of buzz for the Sens.  The tickets remaining is still a little concerning, but I honestly think it has something to do with the Sens losing 2 of 3 home games in the first round.  I gotta admit, it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth when I paid $400 to go to two home games and they lost both.  Whatever, it will end up being close to a sellout and more importantly the team has a decent shot here of beating the Rags.  

I'm only really concerned with the on-ice performance right now...none of this off-ice BS.

Let's hope Andy is on top of his game, and we should be in for another one goal game tonight.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:51 am

PTFlea wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Anyone else feeling underwhelmed by the Sens being in the second round or is that just me?
    What do you mean?  In the city?  This has always been a bandwagon city.  What have you done for me lately kind of feeling, I don't know why, but suddenlyin 2007 the fans were nuts, like a switch was turned, so hopefully that'll happen again.

My personal opinion is that I'm extremely proud of them.  Like, you go boys!  This is all about 2 years early from contender status and even though we're big underdogs,  I think we could win this series.

Go Sens!

That's exactly what I mean. It's nowhere close to how it felt in 2007. Maybe it's because we were seen as favourites back then and underdogs now, but I feel as though our team now is better than what we had in 2007.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

I certainly don't think the team is as good as it was 10 years ago, but we'll see. It's so different now it's hard to compare.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

What an interesting question. My fairly useless opinion is:

1.As much as I disliked Spezza at the end of his tenure here, he was beasting in the 07 playoffs (until the Finals). He was nearly unstoppable dishing wonderful passes to Alfie and that d_ickhead Heatley. They were on fire. We don't really have anything like that unless Stone can heal up and even then...

2.Comrie was fantastic. He really bolstered the 2nd line and allowed Fisher to move to 3rd IIRC. Brassard offsets that, so that's a wash.

3.Redden and Mez were really on point. I guess similar to Phaneuf and Ceci, but slightly better. Phillips/Volchenkov were certainly better than Phaneuf/Ceci and Karlsson was better than Redden. So I guess that's a wash as well, although Priessing and Corvo as depth are pretty serious.

4.Anderson is better than Emery. No discussions needed.

Karlsson probably offsets Alfie, but Spezza/Heatley are a major upgrade over anything we have now.

Anderson is an upgrade over Emery.

I guess it's closer than I thought, but the two top line guys for the 07 team really push them ahead.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

Ugh, Dzingel and Burrows with Turris is a huge turnoff. Put them with Pageau please!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Back in 06-07 you had Crosby/Ovechkin and Malkin just came on the scene. We had Spezza, Heatley, Alfie. A real-live 1LC, a 50-goal scorer and Alfie in his prime.

Now, in addition to Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin the East has Eichel, Matthews, Hall, Stamkos, Drouin, etc, etc. There is a lot of star power in the East (part of the shifting balance of power) but other than Karlsson we don't have any of those players. We have a guy who almost scored 30. We have a guy who used to score 30. We have an owner who not only doesn't like to spend (who does?) but loves to mention it all the time.

We are now a team that has to overachieve to get somewhere; let's face it, it's not the most entertaining brand of hockey.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Not sure I agree with the over-achieving comment. I actually think next year we ice an even better team with Chabot and White playing more of a prominent role. I think we end up losing Methot to expansion. I really don't see Vegas passing up on him.

Mac-Brass-Ryan
    Hoff-Turris-Stone
    Smith-Pageau-Burrows
    Dzingel-White-Pyatt

Phaneuf-Karlsson
    Claesson-Ceci
    Chabot-Harpur
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20866
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:44 pm

to me hockey is more entertaining in low scoring games if you're cheering for a team in the game. If games were 6-5, goals would not feel as special as they do in tense, tight matchups.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Yes, we will ice a better team. But those players aren't here yet. Let's face it, we've had Ryan Dzingel playing top-six mos of the year, we had Pyatt in there for a bit, as well. Wingels? Well he was actually a 4th liner playing on the 4th line, so not out of place like the others. But next year we would have a 1st rounder playing those same minutes, and that will make for a better, more-exciting team.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Not sure I agree with the over-achieving comment. I actually think next year we ice an even better team with Chabot and White playing more of a prominent role. I think we end up losing Methot to expansion. I really don't see Vegas passing up on him.

Mac-Brass-Ryan
    Hoff-Turris-Stone
    Smith-Pageau-Burrows
    Dzingel-White-Pyatt

Phaneuf-Karlsson
    Claesson-Ceci
    Chabot-Harpur

We'll be great with White and Chabot. We're coming muthaf_uckas!

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:29 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Not sure I agree with the over-achieving comment. I actually think next year we ice an even better team with Chabot and White playing more of a prominent role. I think we end up losing Methot to expansion. I really don't see Vegas passing up on him.

Mac-Brass-Ryan
    Hoff-Turris-Stone
    Smith-Pageau-Burrows
    Dzingel-White-Pyatt

Phaneuf-Karlsson
    Claesson-Ceci
    Chabot-Harpur

We'll be great with White and Chabot.  We're coming muthaf_uckas!

I'd look at moving Smith to be honest. I think McCormick could suffice in a bottom six LW role.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 pm