TV Boxes

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47936
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: TV Boxes

Post by wprager on Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

We hardly ever watch TV in realtime, so the ability to record is more than bells 'n whistles.

Your $40 Android TV boz will only stream Netflix at 480p. There are likely other limitations because, let's face it, even on AliExpress a good one will cost you a bir more than just $40

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1948
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed May 17, 2017 12:49 pm

I know of some people in the city who sell pre-configured boxes for $100.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed May 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Or you can d/l and install a preconfigured Kodi bundle. There are plenty of different one available. By the same token you can d/l and install ShowBox, which I find has a much more intuitive/easy interface. If you don't care about some old, obscure show, then ShowBox is the better choice, IMO.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1948
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Oh ya? I'll have to give it a try
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Oh ya? I'll have to give it a try

If you mean ShowBox then keep in mind there is an app named Showbox available on PlayStore -- that's not it.  You have to download the ShowBox APK and install that (just google "showbox apk",  download the latest version,  then run it from downloads; may have to enable installing apps from untrusted sources).

If you mean the preconfigured Kodi bundles (they call them builds) here is a recent article with the top 5 in 2017:

http://www.wirelesshack.org/the-top-5-best-kodi-builds.html

Apart from Kodi,  which *is* hard to figure out for the non tech savvy (apart from these " builds" there is even a Kodi configuration app),  I'm not sure what more you would need help with to justify buying preconfigured Kodi boxes.

I'd rather spend the extra money on a decent air mouse and keyboard.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am

Add the Xiaomi Mi Box to the mix. With the update to Nougat (Android 7.x) it supports full HD streaming of Netflix.

Three are a number of Mi Box versions ranging in price from $65 to $130. You can get the latest one on Amazon or have more choices from sites like GearBest or AliExpress, etc.

I'll have to research this a little more. BestBuy (WeTek) is attractive because I can actually look at the box. Amazon (with prime) would get it here nice and quick.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 am

Interesting:
    https://androidtv.news/2016/10/live-channels-updated-supports-usb-tuners-adds-dvr-capabilities/

Nougat adds DVR functionality. Add a USB ATSC tuner and storage. And I don't think this is limited to OTA from the sound of it you could record live streams no matter what the source.

The WeTek box has this built in. If the cost of the USB tuner is under $50 it's worth considering. Especially if the tuner supports multiple channels.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 am

If you're not watching Live TV, how much of it can you not find on add-ons like Exodus or, for sports, Phoenix for games that have already been played instead of putting it on a PVR? I mean, if it's already aired, just look up the show and watch it right?

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am

Hmm, all of the three USB tuners were $65 and up. At this punt looks like WeTek Play 2 is the best(buy) option.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If you're not watching Live TV, how much of it can you not find on add-ons like Exodus or, for sports, Phoenix for games that have already been played instead of putting it on a PVR?  I mean, if it's already aired, just look up the show and watch it right?  

I'm trying to retire my eye patch and peg leg.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 am

wprager wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:If you're not watching Live TV, how much of it can you not find on add-ons like Exodus or, for sports, Phoenix for games that have already been played instead of putting it on a PVR?  I mean, if it's already aired, just look up the show and watch it right?  

I'm trying to retire my eye patch and peg leg.

Going full on legit???? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 am

Full? Doubt out.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri May 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Well, BB only had the WeTek Hub, not the Play 2. And nobody knew anything about these.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat May 20, 2017 11:20 am

wprager wrote:Well,  BB only had the WeTek Hub,  not the Play 2. And nobody knew anything about these.

You might want to consider looking for "independent resellers" on kijiji. A good seller will have your box programmed and ready to go and will provide support such as updating, if needed.

Also, make sure you have Android 5.0 or better and Kodi 17 as Kodi 16 is not compatible with many new add ons and updates.

And here's a handy tool to see which channels you can expect to get with an antenna:

https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat May 20, 2017 11:37 am

wprager wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Oh ya? I'll have to give it a try

If you mean ShowBox then keep in mind there is an app named Showbox available on PlayStore -- that's not it.  You have to download the ShowBox APK and install that (just google "showbox apk",  download the latest version,  then run it from downloads; may have to enable installing apps from untrusted sources).

If you mean the preconfigured Kodi bundles (they call them builds) here is a recent article with the top 5 in 2017:

http://www.wirelesshack.org/the-top-5-best-kodi-builds.html

Apart from Kodi,  which *is* hard to figure out for the non tech savvy (apart from these " builds" there is even a Kodi configuration app),  I'm not sure what more you would need help with to justify buying preconfigured Kodi boxes.

I'd rather spend the extra money on a decent air mouse and keyboard.

I have Pulse CCM. It includes the Ares wizard which has maintenance functions and will prompt you when the build needed updating.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat May 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm well familiar with tvfool - check my earlier thread on cord cutting. I also know my way around Kodi - still prefer ShowBox over it.

But this thread is about tv boxes, not what app you use. Specifically, I am concentrating on boxes that will stream Netflix in full HD, and that's a short list.

While checking out the various boxes I found one that includes a tuner, so now I've set my sights even higher, looking for the perfect God box that will steam Netflix in HD and also record OTA.

So far this is ash extremely short list: WeTek Play 2 and Xiaomi Mi Box, running Nougat (7.x) and equipped with a USB ATSC tuner.

The WeTek box appears to have a single tuner (cannot record/watch multiple channels). For the Mi Box the officially supported tuners are the same (one channel at a time). I find a Hauppage tuner that is dual, and it should work. But it's not cheap and I still don't know if tuner support in nougat works with dual tuners.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat May 20, 2017 8:00 pm

I finally got a mini keyboard remote after over a year of owning an android box. It's a Rii i8+. This manufacturer has a variety of mini keyboard/remote combos.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun May 21, 2017 7:17 am

All the cool kids are using an air mouse and voice interface, old man.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:54 am