TV Boxes

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47775
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: TV Boxes

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Tried going back to Kodi because I couldn't find some shows on ShowBox. But the usual instructions for casting is to use LocalCast, and every single video I've tried so far results in either my lg tv saying the file is "invalid" or Chromecast saying the video format it's not supported. With ShowBox I was using All casting which didn't create issues with either the smart TV or Chromecast.

Any advice? What do I put in the playercorefactory.xml file for AllCast? Or is there a setting I can enable in LocalCast?

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Some Kodi related sites and hosts closed down abruptly. You may not be able to connect to your usual providers. One of my favourites, Phoenix, pulled the plug.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 am

I know I had issues installing Exodus. Saw a few recent notes in the instructions saying it's recently unavailable.

But the playback issue I had was something different.
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 801
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

Post by Hobiesens on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am

I noticed issues with my android box recently, seems like tvaddons is no longer viable.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/streaming-box-lawsuit-tvaddons-1.4165325
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am

I had no problem playing the video on question on my phone. The problem was with streaming it to either my Chromecast or LG smart TV. With ShowBox I use AllCast as the player, then select the device to cast to. With Kodi you end to using LocalCast. The configuration for (playerfactorycore.xml) does not include an entry for AllCast.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Not TV box related, but if you are planning on hanging your tv on the wall with cables running behind the wall, don't scrimp on the length. I was afraid of getting cables that were too thick (the cable conduit that Mattamy installed was very small and I had 4 HDMI ports plus the RJ5 cable). I ended up running just 3 HDMIs (figured if I ever used a 4th it will probably be a small TV box/Roku stick that will plug directly in with wifi/bt remote) but thinking longer cables might be thicker I got the 15' ones. Then I bought 3' extensions. Then finally 10' extensions. You have to attach the cables to the TV before you hang it. If it's sitting on the floor that's 6 feet down and a couple feet away from the wall. Even if you have something to rest it on or two guys holding it up at chest level while you're putting in the cables, you'll need 3-5' slack. And then, at the other end, you will likely need up to another 6' slack based on where your media stand sits relative to where the cables come out.

P.S. If anyone is in need of some short 93 foot) HDMI and RJ45 extensions (male-to-female) I've got a box.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Getting back on the topic of tv boxes, I recently discovered so-called "private channels" for the Roku. I really like the streaming stick. We've taken it with us when we've traveled and used it in hotels. The wifi remote (no line-of-sight needed) is great, and the TV automatically switches over to the Roku input when I hit the home button (I think the Roku goes into sleep mode -- there's no physical power swithc -- and hitting the home button twice powers it up, then HDMI-CEC takes over).

Anyhow, the first private channel I tried was UStv. With the free subscription I get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS and some others. With the paid one you get more channels plus ability to record shows (to cloud storage). There's a full guide and, while changing channels isn't instantaneous, it's pretty fast. PQ was pretty good, but at one point I started getting a lot of buffering (maybe one of the kids started streaming something, or maybe it's my wifi -- getting a bigger Roku with an RJ45 will probably help).

Still no Amazon Prime app (in Canada) and no CraveTV support or generic browser to access HGTV.ca. So I'm still looking.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12983
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:26 am

I heard roku is getting bad for streaming sports. You can't find all the games anymore.
    I'd rather not get cable this year because I'm moving in April and in Montreal, unless you're habs fan you have to get a very extensive package to get most sens games.

Im wondering what are my best options.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:41 am

Has anyone used set tv?

https://www.setvnow.com/

For 20$ a month it seems like a good deal. I could probably watch all the games on that thing
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Hobiesens wrote:I noticed issues with my android box recently, seems like tvaddons is no longer viable.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/streaming-box-lawsuit-tvaddons-1.4165325

You just have to do some digging for working addon repositories. I found Youtube a useful tool for finding new repositories. Takes some trial and error.

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Repositories. Add-ons. Yuck. I hate configuring Kodi. Kodi UI is pretty awful.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Ok, both TVs are now hanging on the wall. Put the bedroom set up today. Now that it's on the wall (about a foot further back than before) it is ridiculously too small.

My wife thinks the 55" above the fireplace is a little too big so I'm looking fur a 50" to replace it. Then the 55" would be perfect upstairs Smile

I was at Costco today as they have a 55" 4K tv for $450! Haier may not be Sony but it's about half the price fur the same features. Ridiculous.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:59 am

wprager wrote:Repositories. Add-ons. Yuck. I hate configuring Kodi. Kodi UI is pretty awful.

To each their own. While I don't mind adding repositories and so on, I've had the Ares Wizard and Pulse build on my machine for nearly a year and it's been smooth sailing.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

wprager wrote:Repositories. Add-ons. Yuck. I hate configuring Kodi. Kodi UI is pretty awful.

Totally worth it for free TV and movies IMHO.

- Unknown Author
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

To each their own. While I don't mind adding repositories and so on, I've had the Ares Wizard and Pulse build on my machine for nearly a year and it's been smooth sailing.

A friend of mine said it's getting harder and harder to get the games on kodi. You find any truth to this?

Im going to try the free 3 day trial for set tv for a pre season game and see if I like it.
    If not I think I'll try reinstalling the kodi app on my computer but I have no idea how to do the add ons. I tried last year and never figured it out.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 pm

ShowBox has almost as much free tv and movies and no setup needed. In addition to the somewhat complicated setup I find Kodi's menu system very convoluted.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Roku's private channels are kind of weird too, in that you have to go on the web to add them, and not from the device itself. But they are pretty simple beside that.

I wonder if there are any channels showing NHL games.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

wprager wrote:ShowBox has almost as much free tv and movies and no setup needed. In addition to the somewhat complicated setup I find Kodi's menu system very convoluted.
    For me it's 100% about the NHL games. I'm starting my CFA this week and I imagine that'll give me very little time for watching any TV.
    But I can't stand how hard it's become to find a decent stream. I need a solid provider without the hassle of cable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm