TV Boxes

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48480
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: TV Boxes

Post by wprager on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 pm

ShowBox has almost as much free tv and movies and no setup needed. In addition to the somewhat complicated setup I find Kodi's menu system very convoluted.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Roku's private channels are kind of weird too, in that you have to go on the web to add them, and not from the device itself. But they are pretty simple beside that.

I wonder if there are any channels showing NHL games.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13484
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

wprager wrote:ShowBox has almost as much free tv and movies and no setup needed.  In addition to the somewhat complicated setup I find Kodi's menu system very convoluted.
    For me it's 100% about the NHL games. I'm starting my CFA this week and I imagine that'll give me very little time for watching any TV. 
    But I can't stand how hard it's become to find a decent stream. I need a solid provider without the hassle of cable.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 pm

I think I mentioned this earlier, but I'm looking for a 50"-ish tv to replace the 55" we have currently in the family room.  My wife insists that she wants something a little smaller hanging above the fireplace.  I am primarily looking at UHD for future-proofing (and who knows, maybe the up-scaling from 1080 actually makes a difference).  

Just saw a very intriguing option over on Dell.ca.  The TCL 49S405 is a 49" UHD TV for just $360.  It has a surprisingly favorable review on [url=http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405]rtings.com[/quote].  Very good lag figures (for gaming) and good low-light performance, but not as good when it's bright or when viewing at an angle.  Given that the kids mostly watch in the evenings, we have shutters, and the room is not wide, I think I can live with the limitations.  

And it has Roku built-in.

I'm going to jump at this deal.  The 55" then moves upstairs to the bedroom so I finally don't have to squint at the guide.

Edit: CRAP!!!! Although I used Dell.ca as the starting point, I think that's a US deal. Filling out the address there is only Ohio and not Ontario. I see a country switcher near the bottom of the main page, when I switch to Canada my shopping cart is empty. I'm pretty sure that it used to be, when you entered dell.ca as the URL it would automatically give you the Canadian site. Guess that's changed.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2068
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm

wprager wrote:I think I mentioned this earlier, but I'm looking for a 50"-ish tv to replace the 55" we have currently in the family room.  My wife insists that she wants something a little smaller hanging above the fireplace.  I am primarily looking at UHD for future-proofing (and who knows, maybe the up-scaling from 1080 actually makes a difference).  

Just saw a very intriguing option over on Dell.ca.  The TCL 49S405 is a 49" UHD TV for just $360.  It has a surprisingly favorable review on [url=http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405]rtings.com.  Very good lag figures (for gaming) and good low-light performance, but not as good when it's bright or when viewing at an angle.  Given that the kids mostly watch in the evenings, we have shutters, and the room is not wide, I think I can live with the limitations.  

And it has Roku built-in.

I'm going to jump at this deal.  The 55" then moves upstairs to the bedroom so I finally don't have to squint at the guide.

Edit: CRAP!!!!  Although I used Dell.ca as the starting point, I think that's a US deal.  Filling out the address there is only Ohio and not Ontario.  I see a country switcher near the bottom of the main page, when I switch to Canada my shopping cart is empty.  I'm pretty sure that it used to be, when you entered dell.ca as the URL it would automatically give you the Canadian site.  Guess that's changed.

If the deal is that good you may want to get it shipped to Ogdensburg. The dollar isn't terrible right now. It probably still works out to $500 for as 50". Not a bad deal.

I paid $950 for my 49" but it was a SMART tv with built-in Android capability. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Sounds like you got a Sony. It's not just Android, it's Android TV (a branch of Android customized for being a smart TV engine). You can also buy a Mi Box international version for around $80 and it also rubs Android TV. But having it built in saves you an HDMi port, a power outlet and ab extra remote.

How is the Sony remote for the Android stuff? Or did you get an air mouse?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't already have an Ogdensburg mail box and I don't think I'd be getting one just for this. I might drink by Factory Direct on Merivale and see if they have anything.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16583
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:07 am

wprager wrote:I don't already have an Ogdensburg mail box and I don't think I'd be getting one just for this.  I might drink by Factory Direct on Merivale and see if they have anything.  

You can get stuff delivered to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg. They charge a $5 fee.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:I don't already have an Ogdensburg mail box and I don't think I'd be getting one just for this.  I might drink by Factory Direct on Merivale and see if they have anything.  

You can get stuff delivered to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg.  They charge a $5 fee.
    Yeah that works well. Especially when companies like ups can charge an arm and a leg on border fees if they deliver it to your home.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Checked out Factory Direct on Merivale. They didn't have the Vizio 50" (only 55") and the models they had on 50" were not inspiring.

Guess I'll wait for Black Friday.

How does that UPS store thing work? I believe there is no import duties on TVs, but they will charge sales tax and GST, right? Then there's the 2 hours driving and likely another hour or more waiting at the borders.

Not sure it's worth it, to be honest.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:34 pm

wprager wrote:Checked out Factory Direct on Merivale. They didn't have the Vizio 50" (only 55") and the models they had on 50" were not inspiring.

Guess I'll wait for Black Friday.

How does that UPS store thing work?  I believe there is no import duties on TVs, but they will charge sales tax and GST, right?  Then there's the 2 hours driving and likely another hour or more waiting at the borders.

Not sure it's worth it, to be honest.  

I think it’s only worth it with items you decide not to declare.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Hard to not declare a big box that sitting on top of the folded down rear seats.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 am