You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Random Thoughts - NON Hockey talk » TV Boxes

TV Boxes

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

61TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
ShowBox has almost as much free tv and movies and no setup needed. In addition to the somewhat complicated setup I find Kodi's menu system very convoluted.

62TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:04 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
Roku's private channels are kind of weird too, in that you have to go on the web to add them, and not from the device itself. But they are pretty simple beside that.

I wonder if there are any channels showing NHL games.

63TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Flo The Action


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:ShowBox has almost as much free tv and movies and no setup needed.  In addition to the somewhat complicated setup I find Kodi's menu system very convoluted.
For me it's 100% about the NHL games. I'm starting my CFA this week and I imagine that'll give me very little time for watching any TV. 
But I can't stand how hard it's become to find a decent stream. I need a solid provider without the hassle of cable.

64TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I think I mentioned this earlier, but I'm looking for a 50"-ish tv to replace the 55" we have currently in the family room.  My wife insists that she wants something a little smaller hanging above the fireplace.  I am primarily looking at UHD for future-proofing (and who knows, maybe the up-scaling from 1080 actually makes a difference).  

Just saw a very intriguing option over on Dell.ca.  The TCL 49S405 is a 49" UHD TV for just $360.  It has a surprisingly favorable review on [url=http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405]rtings.com[/quote].  Very good lag figures (for gaming) and good low-light performance, but not as good when it's bright or when viewing at an angle.  Given that the kids mostly watch in the evenings, we have shutters, and the room is not wide, I think I can live with the limitations.  

And it has Roku built-in.

I'm going to jump at this deal.  The 55" then moves upstairs to the bedroom so I finally don't have to squint at the guide.

Edit: CRAP!!!! Although I used Dell.ca as the starting point, I think that's a US deal. Filling out the address there is only Ohio and not Ontario. I see a country switcher near the bottom of the main page, when I switch to Canada my shopping cart is empty. I'm pretty sure that it used to be, when you entered dell.ca as the URL it would automatically give you the Canadian site. Guess that's changed.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

65TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:I think I mentioned this earlier, but I'm looking for a 50"-ish tv to replace the 55" we have currently in the family room.  My wife insists that she wants something a little smaller hanging above the fireplace.  I am primarily looking at UHD for future-proofing (and who knows, maybe the up-scaling from 1080 actually makes a difference).  

Just saw a very intriguing option over on Dell.ca.  The TCL 49S405 is a 49" UHD TV for just $360.  It has a surprisingly favorable review on [url=http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405]rtings.com.  Very good lag figures (for gaming) and good low-light performance, but not as good when it's bright or when viewing at an angle.  Given that the kids mostly watch in the evenings, we have shutters, and the room is not wide, I think I can live with the limitations.  

And it has Roku built-in.

I'm going to jump at this deal.  The 55" then moves upstairs to the bedroom so I finally don't have to squint at the guide.

Edit: CRAP!!!!  Although I used Dell.ca as the starting point, I think that's a US deal.  Filling out the address there is only Ohio and not Ontario.  I see a country switcher near the bottom of the main page, when I switch to Canada my shopping cart is empty.  I'm pretty sure that it used to be, when you entered dell.ca as the URL it would automatically give you the Canadian site.  Guess that's changed.

If the deal is that good you may want to get it shipped to Ogdensburg. The dollar isn't terrible right now. It probably still works out to $500 for as 50". Not a bad deal.

I paid $950 for my 49" but it was a SMART tv with built-in Android capability. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

66TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Sounds like you got a Sony. It's not just Android, it's Android TV (a branch of Android customized for being a smart TV engine). You can also buy a Mi Box international version for around $80 and it also rubs Android TV. But having it built in saves you an HDMi port, a power outlet and ab extra remote.

How is the Sony remote for the Android stuff? Or did you get an air mouse?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

67TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I don't already have an Ogdensburg mail box and I don't think I'd be getting one just for this. I might drink by Factory Direct on Merivale and see if they have anything.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

68TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:07 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I don't already have an Ogdensburg mail box and I don't think I'd be getting one just for this.  I might drink by Factory Direct on Merivale and see if they have anything.  

You can get stuff delivered to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg. They charge a $5 fee.

69TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:I don't already have an Ogdensburg mail box and I don't think I'd be getting one just for this.  I might drink by Factory Direct on Merivale and see if they have anything.  

You can get stuff delivered to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg.  They charge a $5 fee.
Yeah that works well. Especially when companies like ups can charge an arm and a leg on border fees if they deliver it to your home.

70TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Checked out Factory Direct on Merivale. They didn't have the Vizio 50" (only 55") and the models they had on 50" were not inspiring.

Guess I'll wait for Black Friday.

How does that UPS store thing work? I believe there is no import duties on TVs, but they will charge sales tax and GST, right? Then there's the 2 hours driving and likely another hour or more waiting at the borders.

Not sure it's worth it, to be honest.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

71TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Checked out Factory Direct on Merivale. They didn't have the Vizio 50" (only 55") and the models they had on 50" were not inspiring.

Guess I'll wait for Black Friday.

How does that UPS store thing work?  I believe there is no import duties on TVs, but they will charge sales tax and GST, right?  Then there's the 2 hours driving and likely another hour or more waiting at the borders.

Not sure it's worth it, to be honest.  

I think it’s only worth it with items you decide not to declare.

72TV Boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: TV Boxes on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Hard to not declare a big box that sitting on top of the folded down rear seats.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum