R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16493
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm

Post by tim1_2 on Fri May 05, 2017 11:17 am

PTFlea wrote:Boucher had to adapt too, they can't let NY have free reign like the last 2 games

True. Alain Vigneault obviously lit a fire under his team, because they looked totally different in games 3 and 4 than they did in 1 and 2. I have no doubt Boucher will say the right things and make whatever adjustments...and then it's up to the players to actually execute.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48303
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am

I think Turris, Stone, Ryan, Hoffman can easily fit in the category of "legit, top-three scorer". If you are looking for a first-overall type, generational or at least elite player then, no. What we need to instill in these players is the Pageau like attitude. Hoffman has been very disappointing. I've been a big supporter of his in the past but he is not doing anywhere near enough. Last night there was a play where he circles back and plays the puck off his skate to his stick -- a real fancy move that will get oohs and aahs from the 10-year olds at the outdoor rinkl. When you are the last guy between the puck and your goalie you simply can't do that, certainly not when games are as important as in the playoffs. That's an attitude change. You are not there to put on a show; you are there to do everything you can do for the team to win. But Hoffman is not the only one like that. Too many quite content to carry the puck in, curl to the side boards and look for a pretty pass, and not enough willing to drop the shoulder down, stick out their leg to protect the puck, and cut inside toward the net. Yes, you will get slashed, yes you might get hit by the other defenseman or a back-checking forward. But if you are not willing to take the punishment then step aside for someone who is.

I disagreed with taking Claesson out instead of Harpur yesterday and after watching the game, I stand by my initial reaction. Harpur did well early on but he has not been good the last two games. He needs a reminder that he's there because he can match the Rangers' forward size. He needs to initiate hits, clear out the crease, be strong on the puck carrier (not like G3 when he let Zibanejad skate around and pass out front to Zucarello) and he needs to stick up for his team mates (like when Turris got manhandled last night). He is only in the lineup because of what he was doing in Bingo, and the last two games he has not done that. And not that Claesson is a big tough SOB, either, but I just felt that Harpur started playing soft, going back to his comfort zone.

Need a fresh outlook, at this time. If Neil comes in, so be it. I still think White would be a better option, now that they have home ice and can manage his match-ups. But even with Neil, you don't want him our there with Grabner/Zucarello, maybe, but you absolutely want him out against Nash, Zibanejad as well as Hayes/Glass types.

I've also been saying for a while (since game 2) how we are missing Boro a lot more than many here care to admit. The Rangers started skating down that right side completely unopposed and unafraid. You'd think stepping up at the far blue line or at center ice is a simple play, but in the last three games I saw Phaneuf do it *once* and nobody else. Our right-side D has gone really soft (and, no, slapping Zucarello on the side of the head like Methot did to draw the roughing penalty is not it).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48303
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri May 05, 2017 11:34 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Boucher had to adapt too, they can't let NY have free reign like the last 2 games

True.  Alain Vigneault obviously lit a fire under his team, because they looked totally different in games 3 and 4 than they did in 1 and 2.  I have no doubt Boucher will say the right things and make whatever adjustments...and then it's up to the players to actually execute.

You can add game 2 as well. Hank was awful.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16493
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri May 05, 2017 12:05 pm

wprager wrote:I think Turris, Stone, Ryan, Hoffman can easily fit in the category of "legit, top-three scorer".  If you are looking for a first-overall type, generational or at least elite player then, no.  What we need to instill in these players is the Pageau like attitude.  Hoffman has been very disappointing.  I've been a big supporter of his in the past but he is not doing anywhere near enough.  Last night there was a play where he circles back and plays the puck off his skate to his stick -- a real fancy move that will get oohs and aahs from the 10-year olds at the outdoor rinkl.  When you are the last guy between the puck and your goalie you simply can't do that, certainly not when games are as important as in the playoffs.  That's an attitude change.  You are not there to put on a show; you are there to do everything you can do for the team to win.  But Hoffman is not the only one like that. Too many quite content to carry the puck in, curl to the side boards and look for a pretty pass, and not enough willing to drop the shoulder down, stick out their leg to protect the puck, and cut inside toward the net.  Yes, you will get slashed, yes you might get hit by the other defenseman or a back-checking forward.  But if you are not willing to take the punishment then step aside for someone who is.

I disagreed with taking Claesson out instead of Harpur yesterday and after watching the game, I stand by my initial reaction.  Harpur did well early on but he has not been good the last two games.  He needs a reminder that he's there because he can match the Rangers' forward size.  He needs to initiate hits, clear out the crease, be strong on the puck carrier (not like G3 when he let Zibanejad skate around and pass out front to Zucarello) and he needs to stick up for his team mates (like when Turris got manhandled last night).  He is only in the lineup because of what he was doing in Bingo, and the last two games he has not done that.  And not that Claesson is a big tough SOB, either, but I just felt that Harpur started playing soft, going back to his comfort zone.

Need a fresh outlook, at this time.  If Neil comes in, so be it.  I still think White would be a better option, now that they have home ice and can manage his match-ups.  But even with Neil, you don't want him our there with Grabner/Zucarello, maybe, but you absolutely want him out against Nash, Zibanejad as well as Hayes/Glass types.  

I've also been saying for a while (since game 2) how we are missing Boro a lot more than many here care to admit.  The Rangers started skating down that right side completely unopposed and unafraid.  You'd think stepping up at the far blue line or at center ice is a simple play, but in the last three games I saw Phaneuf do it *once* and nobody else.  Our right-side D has gone really soft (and, no, slapping Zucarello on the side of the head like Methot did to draw the roughing penalty is not it).  

Yep, all good points. I am a big Boro fan. It's a shame he is injured. If they did put Neil in, at least it's a home game and they'd have last change to control who he was out against for the most part.

Hoffman was pretty bad last night and made a bunch of soft plays.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13352
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I can't comment on White having not had a big enough sample size to compare him to other players, but you're right. Zac Smith has been a train-wreck, Burrows has done nothing, Wingels at least hit people but doesn't bring much to the table.  

Fact is, the Sens will be a much different team at home. They won't play like this in front of their home crowd. However, even if we lose to the Rags, the Sens IMO over-achieved this year. If anything, this shows what kind of team we have and where we need to improve in the off-season.

Team needs:

1) Team toughness (keep Boro as a 5-6 d-man and add a banger on the 4th line)
    2) Defencemen (need a puck-mover not named Karlsson)
    3) Legit top-three scorer (we need a game changer, not 2-3 'solid' lines)

Areas 1 and 2 can be addressed internally. Area 3 - not sure how to accomplish that.

This is a growing team. I would love to make it to the next round but we already well by getting here. I agree that a lot of the help will come internally and to some extent. I think Ceci is that puck mover but we'll see if he's still around at the start of next season. And that is closely linked to your 3rd point. Which I agree, we need more scoring power. Mind you I think mark stone is injured right now but still, we need another top LW.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13352
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri May 05, 2017 12:14 pm

wprager wrote:I think Turris, Stone, Ryan, Hoffman can easily fit in the category of "legit, top-three scorer".  If you are looking for a first-overall type, generational or at least elite player then, no.  What we need to instill in these players is the Pageau like attitude.  Hoffman has been very disappointing.  I've been a big supporter of his in the past but he is not doing anywhere near enough.  Last night there was a play where he circles back and plays the puck off his skate to his stick -- a real fancy move that will get oohs and aahs from the 10-year olds at the outdoor rinkl.  When you are the last guy between the puck and your goalie you simply can't do that, certainly not when games are as important as in the playoffs.  That's an attitude change.  You are not there to put on a show; you are there to do everything you can do for the team to win.  But Hoffman is not the only one like that. Too many quite content to carry the puck in, curl to the side boards and look for a pretty pass, and not enough willing to drop the shoulder down, stick out their leg to protect the puck, and cut inside toward the net.  Yes, you will get slashed, yes you might get hit by the other defenseman or a back-checking forward.  But if you are not willing to take the punishment then step aside for someone who is.

I disagreed with taking Claesson out instead of Harpur yesterday and after watching the game, I stand by my initial reaction.  Harpur did well early on but he has not been good the last two games.  He needs a reminder that he's there because he can match the Rangers' forward size.  He needs to initiate hits, clear out the crease, be strong on the puck carrier (not like G3 when he let Zibanejad skate around and pass out front to Zucarello) and he needs to stick up for his team mates (like when Turris got manhandled last night).  He is only in the lineup because of what he was doing in Bingo, and the last two games he has not done that.  And not that Claesson is a big tough SOB, either, but I just felt that Harpur started playing soft, going back to his comfort zone.

Need a fresh outlook, at this time.  If Neil comes in, so be it.  I still think White would be a better option, now that they have home ice and can manage his match-ups.  But even with Neil, you don't want him our there with Grabner/Zucarello, maybe, but you absolutely want him out against Nash, Zibanejad as well as Hayes/Glass types.  

I've also been saying for a while (since game 2) how we are missing Boro a lot more than many here care to admit.  The Rangers started skating down that right side completely unopposed and unafraid.  You'd think stepping up at the far blue line or at center ice is a simple play, but in the last three games I saw Phaneuf do it *once* and nobody else.  Our right-side D has gone really soft (and, no, slapping Zucarello on the side of the head like Methot did to draw the roughing penalty is not it).  

Our backchecking leaves much to be desired. I'm not sure if it's because so many players are injured but we aren't bribing it like in the 1st series.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54631
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Fri May 05, 2017 12:20 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

True.  Alain Vigneault obviously lit a fire under his team, because they looked totally different in games 3 and 4 than they did in 1 and 2.  I have no doubt Boucher will say the right things and make whatever adjustments...and then it's up to the players to actually execute.
    I thought boucher would have changed it up for game 4.  I thought it would be a trap game for us

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 am