tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: ECFGDT#3: Pens @ Sens, May 17, 8:00 pm

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 18, 2017 8:12 am

Oglethorpe wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't count on Fleury letting in any softies.  It hasn't happened to this point, and it doesn't look like it's going to.  If the Sens can crowd his crease a bit, that would help tremendously.  He's not a very physical goalie, so a bit of bumping could go a long way.  

Getting a few PPs would be nice too, and for that to happen we need to get a bit more o-zone time.  

Should be a dandy tonight...The Sens have been great in these "swing" games.
    You were saying.

Yeah, WTF?? I don't really think the goals on Fleury were soft, other than the wrap-around maybe. The first one, Fleury was on his post, the puck just hit the bottom of his pad and deflected in. The second one took a couple ridiculous bounces too.

Anyway...that was awesome! I think the Penguins will go back to Fleury for the next game.

I also loved Stone going after whoever towards the end...just a fantastic game. The Penguins don't have the toughness to goon it up when a game's out of hand. Hopefully we have them a bit rattled and can pounce early again in game 4.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13587
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 am

First one Fleury could have had his pad hugging the post and not his skate and that wouldn't have had the space to go in, granted there wasn't much space to work with and it was a little fluky, second goal Fleury completely lost the puck and knocked it in with his own leg as a result of that. The D man should have been shouting it's in your pads, don't Cussing move or something though, the wraparound was hella awful.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 am

Props to oglethorpe. Really had a feeling we'd crush them. I think Pittsburgh is broken. Making is completely offf his game
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243

Post by PTFlea on Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 am

That game was madness to be at.  Complete domination for most of it.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 am

I wouldn't even say it was domination...we got a couple bounces and did a good job limiting their chances, and Anderson was great again. Shots were only 29-26 Ottawa. I don't think it was as lobsided as the scoreboard indicated.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am

Sens were in control of most of that game from what I saw on the CBC broadcast I was watching from the bar I was at.

- Unknown Author

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1886
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu May 18, 2017 10:22 am

Ev wrote:Props to oglethorpe. Really had a feeling we'd crush them. I think Pittsburgh is broken. Making is completely offf his game

I don't think Malkin or Kessel or very strong mentally. And of course neither is Fleury.

It looks like Phaneuf is doing a great job getting under Kessel's skin, Malkin as well. As for Crosby, 1 point in 3 games. The Pens definitely have better individuals but Ottawa is a more complete team - especially with all of Pitt's injuries. Even if Ottawa wins game 4, I think Pitt will be a very hard team to close out.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 am

Methot was doing a pretty good job on Crosby last night. Enjoyable to watch. Malkin was imploding and Kessel seemed not to really care.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am

tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't even say it was domination...we got a couple bounces and did a good job limiting their chances, and Anderson was great again.  Shots were only 29-26 Ottawa.  I don't think it was as lobsided as the scoreboard indicated.  

Shots in an early blowout are completely misleading. The team up 4-0 will definitely not be trying as hard and will sit back more. Karlsson was also rested. The Penguins, all series long, have not looked impressive or dangerous offensively.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 am

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Ev wrote:Props to oglethorpe. Really had a feeling we'd crush them. I think Pittsburgh is broken. Making is completely offf his game

I don't think Malkin or Kessel or very strong mentally. And of course neither is Fleury.

It looks like Phaneuf is doing a great job getting under Kessel's skin, Malkin as well. As for Crosby, 1 point in 3 games. The Pens definitely have better individuals but Ottawa is a more complete team - especially with all of Pitt's injuries. Even if Ottawa wins game 4, I think Pitt will be a very hard team to close out.

All the Penguins have on us is Crosby and Malkin. After that, their team is incredibly average.

Fact is the Penguins didn't deserve to move on to this round anyway. Washington was the better team almost all series long. Their luck is running out.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu May 18, 2017 11:58 am

Any team in the league, suffering the injuries in key parts of their lineup, like the Pens have, would be struggling mightely. The fact the Pens made it this far is pretty shocking actually.

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu May 18, 2017 12:29 pm

First one was flukey, no doubt. But Cullen broke his stick and went to the bench to get a new one, leaving the Sens 5 on 4. Daley and Bonnino *both* went after Turris at the circle. So there was general confusion. When Turris shot the puck Fleury was coming out to cut the angle, but the puck was deflected to his right and bounced off the backboards. Meanwhile Hoffman had no-one on him (Cullen just getting back trio the play, two his on Turris) as he skated in front of the crease looking for a deflection or rebound. It just happened that the puck bounced off the boards right to where he was, and Fleury did not have time to get back on the post.

Can't blame that on Fleury, even though he looked bad.

Weird how Cullen broke his stick even though it was Bonnino who took the draw.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm

tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't even say it was domination...we got a couple bounces and did a good job limiting their chances, and Anderson was great again.  Shots were only 29-26 Ottawa.  I don't think it was as lobsided as the scoreboard indicated.  

It was pretty dominant. I was there, and while I get nervous with a 10 goal lead, I was pretty confident watching that game. The Pens looked beaten for whatever reason - injuries, lack of depth, whatever. Their body language told a big story last night (as pointed out by DennyCrane, I rarely notice Dung like that).
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Methot was doing a pretty good job on Crosby last night.  Enjoyable to watch.  Malkin was imploding and Kessel seemed not to really care.  

He was amazing. Made me rethink the whole expansion thing where I was resigned to letting him go.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu May 18, 2017 12:50 pm

The second goal was some pinball action with the puck in Cole's feet to Fleury's left. Fleury just made a save and was, understandably, out of position. Had no idea where the puck was because it was to his left and between Cole's feet.

Hard to blame that one on him. He was scrambling because his D were playing really poorly. Not covering the right man, not clearing the puck.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Brassard goal there was nothing a goalie could do.

Wraparound, well, that one could have been played better, sure. But the D did nothing to shore Smith down. Just standing around.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Yeah, Fleury wasn't really at fault. The Pens D was horrific.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:29 pm