2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:20 pm

    I'd think about ryan, but methot will be there and he's easy to trade

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by wprager on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 am

    Is he, though? Wasn't very long ago we were questioning his health and commitment when he had that hip issue that went on day to day for a month. He hasn't been using his hip check very much the last couple of years. Wonder if that's related.

    It's clear that Phaneuf/Ceci is the shutdown pairing on this team. Methot's game has been reduced to staying back while Erik does his thing. It's reflected in his offensive stats (playing with Erik should give you some easy points just bring in the ice).

    Methot may have been worth his salary for the Sens when signed (Karlsson was comfortable playing with him and he was a tough guy to play against) but I'm not sure he's worth that on another team, and since his play has changed.

    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by tim1_2 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:44 am

    Looking at the list of available players, Vegas isn't going to be very good initially. A lot will be left up to the free agents they can sign and other trades they can make. They will have at least 3 to 4 first rounders from the sound of it, so there's nothing stopping them from flipping one or two of those for quality players. I haven't done any mock drafts, but I wonder how easy it is for them to hit the cap floor by just drafting the best team they can, or if they actually need to worry about picking guys with bigger cap hits?
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47671
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by wprager on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 am

    I tried the draft tool at Cap Friendly and teaching the floor will not be all that hard.

    With 30 players.

    With a roster of 23 you would have to take a few over priced contracts.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10037
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by spader on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 pm

    wprager wrote:I tried the draft tool at Cap Friendly and teaching the floor will not be all that hard.

    With 30 players.

    With a roster of 23 you would have to take a few over priced contracts.

    They have all summer to get compliant. They only need to reach $43.8 million in the expansion draft. They don't need to be cap compliant until the season. They'll have no trouble getting to their expansion floor.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm

    I would assume Dorion has this all worked out, what will happen in each scenario. I thought he'd have a deal worked out with vegas and he might, who knows. I'd certainly consider giving up Wideman and a 2nd or dzingel and a 2nd to leave our core Dmen alone, but if not I'm sure Dorion is looking into trade options.

    I'm concerned, but I'm possibly more concerned about our distinct lack of a game breaking forward up front, perhaps stone and Hoffman aside. We need a game breaker, a Duchene or someone of the sort. Badly.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16254
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by tim1_2 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm

    I look at Hoff and Stone as "game breakers"...and then we have a complimentary cast that can score too. There was something up with Stone in the playoffs, and I look forward to a return of the normal Stone come next season.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12924
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:20 pm

    Everyone I read talking about the expansion is talking protecting their players. I don't understand why we don't go after a bigger fish! You look at who's available as an upgrade over Methot instead of paying to protect him. That way you add instead of substracting and still losing another valuable piece.

    There are some quality Dmen out there. Maybe you go after dumba(if Vegas listens) that way it makes Ceci expendable to trade for that forward we want.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10037
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by spader on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:Everyone I read talking about the expansion is talking protecting their players. I don't understand why we don't go after a bigger fish! You look at who's available as an upgrade over Methot instead of paying to protect him. That way you add instead of substracting and still losing another valuable piece.

    There are some quality Dmen out there. Maybe you go after dumba(if Vegas listens) that way it makes Ceci expendable to trade for that forward we want.

    Unless they swing a trade for picks only, they'll have to subtract to add. You think we can get an upgrade on Methot for free?
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:I look at Hoff and Stone as "game breakers"...and then we have a complimentary cast that can score too. áThere was something up with Stone in the playoffs, and I look forward to a return of the normal Stone come next season.

    They're on the verge of game breakers, but they aren't the huge top liner we've wanted here for a while. Basically since the loss of the 'good' Heatley and the 'good' Spezza and Alfie.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10037
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by spader on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:11 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I look at Hoff and Stone as "game breakers"...and then we have a complimentary cast that can score too. áThere was something up with Stone in the playoffs, and I look forward to a return of the normal Stone come next season.

    They're on the verge of game breakers, but they aren't the huge top liner we've wanted here for a while. Basically since the loss of the 'good' Heatley and the 'good' Spezza and Alfie.

    I'd agree, basically. They aren't superstars, but they can definitely put the odd game on their backs. It would be great to get a premier puck moving center to hopefully help them to the next level though.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm

    spader wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I look at Hoff and Stone as "game breakers"...and then we have a complimentary cast that can score too. áThere was something up with Stone in the playoffs, and I look forward to a return of the normal Stone come next season.

    They're on the verge of game breakers, but they aren't the huge top liner we've wanted here for a while. áBasically since the loss of the 'good' Heatley and the 'good' Spezza and Alfie.

    I'd agree, basically. They aren't superstars, but they can definitely put the odd game on their backs. It would be great to get a premier puck moving center to hopefully help them to the next level though.

    Or a big, burly winger with a ton of skill. Like a Rick Nash or a Voracek.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10037
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by spader on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:38 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    spader wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I look at Hoff and Stone as "game breakers"...and then we have a complimentary cast that can score too. áThere was something up with Stone in the playoffs, and I look forward to a return of the normal Stone come next season.

    They're on the verge of game breakers, but they aren't the huge top liner we've wanted here for a while. áBasically since the loss of the 'good' Heatley and the 'good' Spezza and Alfie.

    I'd agree, basically. They aren't superstars, but they can definitely put the odd game on their backs. It would be great to get a premier puck moving center to hopefully help them to the next level though.

    Or a big, burly winger with a ton of skill. Like a Rick Nash or a Voracek.

    No thanks on Nash. Voracek would be hella expensive. I'm guessing Brown, 1st, and a legit player (like Dzingel) still wouldn't get it done.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20773
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by Ev on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 pm

    Voracek is pretty soft lol. I would do anything to get a prime Lucic and Landeskog
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:56 pm

    Ev wrote:Voracek is pretty soft lol. I would do anything to get a prime Lucic and Landeskog

    He is, but he's that speedy, big winger that has loads of skill.

    Right now we should be looking at a deal with Colorado for Duchene or Landeskog, but with Chabot off the table I wonder if there's even a point.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12924
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm

    spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Everyone I read talking about the expansion is talking protecting their players. I don't understand why we don't go after a bigger fish! You look at who's available as an upgrade over Methot instead of paying to protect him. That way you add instead of substracting and still losing another valuable piece.

    There are some quality Dmen out there. Maybe you go after dumba(if Vegas listens) that way it makes Ceci expendable to trade for that forward we want.

    Unless they swing a trade for picks only, they'll have to subtract to add. You think we can get an upgrade on Methot for free?
    No but if it costs us a first to protect Methot and we still wind up losing claesson I say we let them have Methot and trade a first and a decent prospect for a guy like dumba.
    It costs us more but we get more.
    We worry about filling methot' shoes if claesson (or possibly Phaneuf) isn't suited to that top pairing. But we upgrade on Ceci so dumba can be paired with chabot down the road or claesson or whoever we wind up picking up in FA. There are options. What I'm saying is instead of just thinking about protecting our line-up we should focus on making it better.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12924
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    Ev wrote:Voracek is pretty soft lol. I would do anything to get a prime Lucic and Landeskog

    He is, but he's that speedy, big winger that has loads of skill.

    Right now we should be looking at a deal with Colorado for Duchene or Landeskog, but with Chabot off the table I wonder if there's even a point.
    We missed the boat on Drouin. I wonder how much more than Ceci it would have taken to get him? Ceci and a B level prospect?
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Ev wrote:Voracek is pretty soft lol. I would do anything to get a prime Lucic and Landeskog

    He is, but he's that speedy, big winger that has loads of skill.

    Right now we should be looking at a deal with Colorado for Duchene or Landeskog, but with Chabot off the table I wonder if there's even a point.
    We missed the boat on Drouin. I wonder how much more than Ceci it would have taken to get him? Ceci and a B level prospect?

    Chabot or bust I think. They waited and waited and waited to get the Russian kid out of Montreal. Basically waited for one of us to blink IMO

    Sponsored content

    Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm