GDT: Senators @ Ducks - Dec 6, 2017, 10:00pm

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21282
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: GDT: Senators @ Ducks - Dec 6, 2017, 10:00pm

Post by Ev on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Letís get a few things clear here. Iím not a naive fan neither am I missing the big picture. Contrary to what you are saying this situation isnít resting on kalrsson (or necessarily on duchene).

This whole mess falls on this group and management and to an equal extent ownship.

The fact that a drop in kalrssonís ability coincides with a drop in the teamís winning is worrisome to say the least. We should be more than a one man team. The fact that management thought that by replacing an equally good player as Turris by a guy like duchene also points to their im ability to see or adress the glaring holes in this line-up. Adding duchene would have been great, replacing Turris for duchene is a sideways move at best. This also signaled that the org is still working under an internal budget. And if you think kalrsson hasnít figured that one out then youíre largely mistaken. If anything heís voiced his displeasure at ownership several times throughout his tenure here. So letís not be surprised if Now there are rumblings of him wanting to hit FA. This does fall on ownership and management. Yes it was their job to make this team competitive to show him we could compete but still decided to do it on a budget. Iím sorry but going all in often requires he team to max themselves to the cap. That hasnít been shown yet.
    I fear that if a change in ownership doesnít happen more or less by July we might as wel l kiss our chance to resign him (and duchene). Where would that leave us? Well Iím not sure but unlike a lot of people Iím not comfortable with a reset, or rebuild. It seems like management has put their eggs in on basket and is hoping to win the cup. Iím sure we could recoup some assets from karlsson and duchene. But itís unlikely we could walk away with a generational talent. Those seem to wind up winning cups in the end. I also donít think this is it for kalrsson as a top player. Iím not sure this injury will hamper him forever but Iím not a doctor. All I know is trading kalrsson will not do this fan base any favours, will not sell tickets and will downvalue the worth of this franchise. I lo think that the make-up of this team, the age of its players and the age of their prospect place them Ina win now mode and not a restart.

If this organization is to maximize its value it needs to go all in in the long run(not really just this year) it needs to acquire players that can compete now and can add not switch sideways players in the line-up. We need upgrades. Boucher is playing guys that he is given. He canít make create miracles. Like all coaches we can disagree with some decisions(mainly oduya) but if that means we are losing a game then we arenít built to win anyhow.
    Iíll repeat. We need a top 4 Dman added and a top 6 forward. Iím a strong believer that even if we miss the playoffs, if we can finish the year strong of competing for a spot it will go a long ways to resigning both duchene and kalrsson. But the thing I want the most is a change in ownership. Melnyk has poisoned this team and the players for years with what his statement and the style of management heís imposed on this team to the point where itís reflected in what players say.

Let's get one thing straight, Karlsson has no impact on the future value of the franchise. Players come and go, he will be replaced eventually, and new stars emerge. The franchise value is not dictated by a Swedish defenceman who has never won a Cup.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54862
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Let's put this all to rest and win 8 in a row.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13915
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Iím Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Letís get a few things clear here. Iím not a naive fan neither am I missing the big picture. Contrary to what you are saying this situation isnít resting on kalrsson (or necessarily on duchene).

This whole mess falls on this group and management and to an equal extent ownship.

The fact that a drop in kalrssonís ability coincides with a drop in the teamís winning is worrisome to say the least. We should be more than a one man team. The fact that management thought that by replacing an equally good player as Turris by a guy like duchene also points to their im ability to see or adress the glaring holes in this line-up. Adding duchene would have been great, replacing Turris for duchene is a sideways move at best. This also signaled that the org is still working under an internal budget. And if you think kalrsson hasnít figured that one out then youíre largely mistaken. If anything heís voiced his displeasure at ownership several times throughout his tenure here. So letís not be surprised if Now there are rumblings of him wanting to hit FA. This does fall on ownership and management. Yes it was their job to make this team competitive to show him we could compete but still decided to do it on a budget. Iím sorry but going all in often requires he team to max themselves to the cap. That hasnít been shown yet.
    I fear that if a change in ownership doesnít happen more or less by July we might as wel l kiss our chance to resign him (and duchene). Where would that leave us? Well Iím not sure but unlike a lot of people Iím not comfortable with a reset, or rebuild. It seems like management has put their eggs in on basket and is hoping to win the cup. Iím sure we could recoup some assets from karlsson and duchene. But itís unlikely we could walk away with a generational talent. Those seem to wind up winning cups in the end. I also donít think this is it for kalrsson as a top player. Iím not sure this injury will hamper him forever but Iím not a doctor. All I know is trading kalrsson will not do this fan base any favours, will not sell tickets and will downvalue the worth of this franchise. I lo think that the make-up of this team, the age of its players and the age of their prospect place them Ina win now mode and not a restart.

If this organization is to maximize its value it needs to go all in in the long run(not really just this year) it needs to acquire players that can compete now and can add not switch sideways players in the line-up. We need upgrades. Boucher is playing guys that he is given. He canít make create miracles. Like all coaches we can disagree with some decisions(mainly oduya) but if that means we are losing a game then we arenít built to win anyhow.
    Iíll repeat. We need a top 4 Dman added and a top 6 forward. Iím a strong believer that even if we miss the playoffs, if we can finish the year strong of competing for a spot it will go a long ways to resigning both duchene and kalrsson. But the thing I want the most is a change in ownership. Melnyk has poisoned this team and the players for years with what his statement and the style of management heís imposed on this team to the point where itís reflected in what players say.

Let's get one thing straight, Karlsson has no impact on the future value of the franchise. Players come and go, he will be replaced eventually, and new stars emerge. The franchise value is not dictated by a Swedish defenceman who has never won a Cup.
    Are you kidding me? In every valuation of any company you can put the value of key employees under contract in it. ANY VALUATION! Of course having a karlsson signed as a player long term can increase the price someone has to pay for a franchise. Thatís the most ridiculous thing youíve said in weeks. These are marketable assets and they impact the success and revenues of a team. Seriously
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

I canít see Boucher getting fired, neither can I see Dorion getting fired. If we are this close to an ownership change as we might be I doubt Melnyk spends any money that will undoubtedly have little impact on the franchise. I could in the extremes see Crawford replace Boucher but it wouldnít and shouldnít happen. Ottawaís coaching carrousel has to stop! This is on either management and /or players.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21282
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Iím Ev wrote:

Are you kidding me? In every valuation of any company you can put the value of key employees under contract in it. ANY VALUATION! Of course having a karlsson signed as a player long term can increase the price someone has to pay for a franchise. Thatís the most ridiculous thing youíve said in weeks. These are marketable assets and they impact the success and revenues of a team. Seriously

I disagree. The life of an nhl player is slim. If Karlsson never leaves the sens, he still has ten more years at best . Valuing a franchise is for the next 25+ years. The players arenít what makes a franchise valuable. Look st the rangers , they have no stars at all right now. This is a team game and one player doesnít drastically change the business value of a franchise. Nobody even cares about Karlsson outside of Ottawa compared to other stars
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Iím Ev wrote:

I disagree. The life of an nhl player is slim. If Karlsson never leaves the sens, he still has ten more years at best . Valuing a franchise is for the next 25+ years. The players arenít what makes a franchise valuable. Look st the rangers , they have no stars at all right now. This is a team game and one player doesnít drastically change the business value of a franchise. Nobody even cares about Karlsson outside of Ottawa compared to other stars

Iím not saying players make or break the value of a franchise but they absolutely impact the value. Itís called human capital. Wether it is secured or not makes a great difference in the value when acquisitions happen. Itís a lot easier to secure thatís value in player contracts. In companies outside of sports it is a large part of the valuation prospect to understand if there will be a brain drain due in part on if human capital decides to leave. Some companies might lose over half their value even since it can be monetized how much human capital brings. In the case of hockey it could easily be valued how much certain players mean in terms of revenues or potential success. Of course you canít place exact value because as in business these are only assumptions but all valuations are made on assumptions. Take Crosby out of Pittsburg and see how hard it would become to sell that franchise.
    Players can play a very big role in valuation.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13630

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Is this year's draft looking any good? Time to jump on the Tank Train?

- Unknown Author
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54862

Post by PTFlea on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 am

I dislike everything about Burrows and Oduya. Go away.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48895
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:13 am

Wow, no GDT?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content