GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » What is Karlsson's Worth To You?

What is Karlsson's Worth To You?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 am

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Trade or keep?

If trade, when and for what.

If keep, for how long and what dollar value.

2What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
To trade him, I'd want something incredible in return. For example, if traded to the Leafs (would never happen, but just for example), I'd want Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly, and another top prospect or a couple first round picks. The return has to be huge, almost to the point where it's actually an over-payment.

That said, my preference is to keep him. He's a generational talent. I agree this year he's been way off where he normally is, but I think that's a Boucher/Melnyk issue more than anything, and he'll return to form once those issues are dealt with. I'd sign him for 8 years at $12-$13M per.

3What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:To trade him, I'd want something incredible in return.  For example, if traded to the Leafs (would never happen, but just for example), I'd want Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly, and another top prospect or a couple first round picks.  The return has to be huge, almost to the point where it's actually an over-payment.  

That said, my preference is to keep him.  He's a generational talent.  I agree this year he's been way off where he normally is, but I think that's a Boucher/Melnyk issue more than anything, and he'll return to form once those issues are dealt with.  I'd sign him for 8 years at $12-$13M per.  

No way IMO. Boucher loves Karlsson, he's one of his guys. Karlsson had his best year last year, nothing has changed since then in regards to the "Melnyk issue". It's pretty obvious he isn't the same player he was due to the surgery. And he may never be again. Right now, he is not a generational talent. My preference is to trade him if he remains the same, because I think his contract would be crippling. We cannot have him playing 25+ mins a night if he is this much of a liability. We should see what he's like at the start of next season after a summer of rehab.

4What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 am

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
Preference is to sign but at a reasonable price.  

Sign 8 x 10 based on injury risk.  

Trade - I’d need a young top 6 centre with #1 potential, 2 x 1st round picks for 2019 and 2020.  Deal early in the summer. 

Ex: Draisitl, Barkov, Eichel.  Never going to happen but it’s what I’d ask.

5What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
I sort of hope it becomes public knowledge that Karlsson is requesting a trade. It would give Dorion green light to trade him. I do really think the Sens should trade him and spread that money/skill out over other areas of the team. On the flip side it would also make the fan base hate Melnyk more which could play out in a lot of different ways (some good, some bad).

If Karlsson actually wants to stay here then you sign him to a 8 x $10M and you clean house in other areas. Rather than selling off assets for futures, I hope Dorion uses the trade deadline this year to improve his team.

Examples:

a) Can the Sens make a move for OEL with a combo of players such as Brass/Ceci?
b) Would the Sens be willing to trade Anderson for an injured Corey Crawford? Provide Chicago with cap relief and insurance if they're serious about a playoff run, while getting Crawford off their books.
c) Can the Sens free cap space or trade Ceci for Gudbransson?
d) Can the Sens move Phaneuf to LA for Pearson+Gaborik?

Adding futures right now doesn't make sense for Ottawa. If they trade Karlsson then yes, blow it up, but if he's going to re-sign use this year as an off-year and try to make some 2 for 1 trades to set up for next year and beyond

6What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I sort of hope it becomes public knowledge that Karlsson is requesting a trade. It would give Dorion green light to trade him. I do really think the Sens should trade him and spread that money/skill out over other areas of the team. On the flip side it would also make the fan base hate Melnyk more which could play out in a lot of different ways (some good, some bad).

If Karlsson actually wants to stay here then you sign him to a 8 x $10M and you clean house in other areas. Rather than selling off assets for futures, I hope Dorion uses the trade deadline this year to improve his team.

Examples:

a) Can the Sens make a move for OEL with a combo of players such as Brass/Ceci?
b) Would the Sens be willing to trade Anderson for an injured Corey Crawford? Provide Chicago with cap relief and insurance if they're serious about a playoff run, while getting Crawford off their books.
c) Can the Sens free cap space or trade Ceci for Gudbransson?
d) Can the Sens move Phaneuf to LA for Pearson+Gaborik?

Adding futures right now doesn't make sense for Ottawa. If they trade Karlsson then yes, blow it up, but if he's going to re-sign use this year as an off-year and try to make some 2 for 1 trades to set up for next year and beyond

There's no way he would sign a $10 million deal.

Ceci for Gudbranson is terrible, bigdown grade.

LA wouldn't trade Pearson in that deal.

7What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
You would have to put a gun to my head to give Karlsson 11 per. You’d have to pull the trigger to go past 11.

8What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Kalrsson will get more than 10 per year. You can bet on that. Either here or elsewhere.

I’d hate to lose Kalrsson but I’m very afraid of this injury and how it’s affected his play. Then again, we faced the same problem when he got his foot cut last time and bionic man came back stronger.

If he’s dealt then this ain’t a retool. If he’s dealt then I’m sure the blame and hopefully the sword falls on melnyk. I can’t wait for that guy to be gone.

I can’t see Edmonton trading draisitel for hoff and Ceci. Chichi would get crucified.

9What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:Kalrsson will get more than 10 per year. You can bet on that. Either here or elsewhere.

I’d hate to lose Kalrsson but I’m very afraid of this injury and how it’s affected his play. Then again, we faced the same problem when he got his foot cut last time and bionic man came back stronger.

If he’s dealt then this ain’t a retool. If he’s dealt then I’m sure the blame and hopefully the sword falls on melnyk. I can’t wait for that guy to be gone.

I can’t see Edmonton trading draisitel for hoff and Ceci. Chichi would get crucified.

I wouldn't blame Melnyk for Karlsson wanting more than his worth.
Edmonton would be hard pressed to get a better deal than Hoff and Ceci. Our impression of Ceci as fans is far lower than other GMs. RHS 2nd pairing D men who are still in their RFA years AND can chew up 25 minutes of ice time are very, very hard to come by. If we didn't have a top pairing RHS dman eating up around 28 minutes I wouldn't even think of dealing him. I have a feeling Ceci will do very well with a fresh start.

10What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
My guess is Dorion starts sizing up his options during the All Star game with changes starting next week. At this point I think everyone is on the table aside from Duchene, Stone, and the prospects. Doesn't mean everyone will be traded but if something incredible is offered for Karlsson (established top NHLers with term and high-end prospects) then you consider it. The Sens cannot afford another Spezza like trade.

11What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
He’s my favourite player, so to answer the question, he is untradeable.

12What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
After thinking more about it the smart move is to cash in on EK this summer. What we see this year is likely what you will get in years 5-8 even if he returns to form next year. Let someone else deal with that anchor of a contract in 5 years.

13What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
At this point a top 5 pick seems all but a lock. How would you draft the top 5 prospects in terms of ranking relative to need?

14What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:At this point a top 5 pick seems all but a lock. How would you draft the top 5 prospects in terms of ranking relative to need?

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk
Boqvist

probably right now for me.

15What is Karlsson's Worth To You? Empty Re: What is Karlsson's Worth To You? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:At this point a top 5 pick seems all but a lock. How would you draft the top 5 prospects in terms of ranking relative to need?

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk
Boqvist

probably right now for me.

What's the upside of Svechnikov over Zadina and Tkachuk?

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum