You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 25 of 67]

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

Great.... Facepalm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

Great.... Facepalm

Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Great.... Facepalm

Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

I was thinking the same. He has a real shot of turning pro next season and actually getting good minutes in the AHL
Edit: In Ottawa's organization.

Last edited by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Great.... Facepalm

You sound like you are ready to make Ottawa a development franchise for the NHL too. Wolanin is 23 in 5 days and a fourth round pick that has gotten better and bigger every year since Ottawa drafted him. He was the best player on the ice during Send development camp 3-on-3 scrimmages. He has potential and him walking away would hurt. You canít just replace him in the draft with another 18 year old draftee.

What prime opportunity do you see in Ottawa and Belleville? Are you seeing young guys getting playing time in either league? Iím not sure what you see but I can see what Wolanin is rumoured to see.

Even if Belleville and Ottawa are giving young players shots, it is his right to become a UFA and go to many of the teams that arenít a mess and also giving young players the chances that Ottawa actually isnít.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Great.... Facepalm

I was thinking the same. He has a real shot of turning pro next season and actually getting good minutes in the AHL
Edit: In Ottawa's organization.

Yup really no reason for him to not sign here other than if he wanted to play for his "home town" Wings. In that case I would not fault him for leaving, as I would want to play for the Sens if I was turning pro.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Great.... Facepalm

You sound like you are ready to make Ottawa a development franchise for the NHL too. Wolanin is 23 in 5 days and a fourth round pick that has gotten better and bigger every year since Ottawa drafted him. He was the best player on the ice during Send development camp 3-on-3 scrimmages. He has potential and him walking away would hurt. You canít just replace him in the draft with another 18 year old draftee.

What prime opportunity do you see in Ottawa and Belleville? Are you seeing young guys getting playing time in either league? Iím not sure what you see but I can see what Wolanin is rumoured to see.

Even if Belleville and Ottawa are giving young players shots, it is his right to become a UFA and go to many of the teams that arenít a mess and also giving young players the chances that Ottawa actually isnít.

It's within his right, yes, but Ottawa has indicated to fans their intent of getting younger, faster, and rebuilding which means he won't be buried below veteran contracts. A 23 year old has a real shot to make the NHL nowadays. Maybe with a year of seasoning in Belleville (which isn't the worst place to play for a dual citizen with roots in Quebec and Michigan). Ottawa is stumbling into next year with a lot of holes in their blue line . He's got as a much of a shot as making the team as Jaros or Englund, and as far as I am concerned Chabot (and Harpur and Boro) are the only certainties on Ottawa's blueline next season.

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Great.... Facepalm

It's within his right, yes, but Ottawa has indicated to fans their intent of getting younger, faster, and rebuilding which means he won't be buried below veteran contracts. A 23 year old has a real shot to make the NHL nowadays. Maybe with a year of seasoning in Belleville (which isn't the worst place to play for a dual citizen with roots in Quebec and Michigan). Ottawa is stumbling into next year with a lot of holes in their blue line . He's got as a much of a shot as making the team as Jaros or Englund, and as far as I am concerned Chabot (and Harpur and Boro) are the only certainties on Ottawa's blueline next season.

Weíll see what happens. I would like him to stay as he is a puck-moving, shot-driving defenceman much like Wideman. Their careers are similar actually and even though Ev has said Wolanin doesnít have NHL upside, he said the same about Wideman and also wanted Hoffman on waivers. We saw what happens when Wideman goes down (Boroís injury hurt too) and we know what Hoffman brings.

Wolanin would be sought-after by many teams if he were to be a UFA in my opinion. I think it would be a shame to lose him and to say he can be replaced at the draft is ridiculous. Thatís a cycle that we should avoid for any chance at success.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
The fact is Ottawa's ownership group and deployment of players is not enticing anyone to sign here. So for Wolanin to want to test out his other options - who can blame him.

That said you want players to want to play for your organization. If he walks then it's another message to ownership and management that they're doing something wrong.

They said the same thing about White last season. Sign this guy to an ELC, give him some games this year, and if he's unhappy trade him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
On the above note, I expect Ottawa's roster to be significantly different next season. I don't see Smith, Gaborik or Claesson back. I see Burrows here because Dorion brought him in. One of karlsson or ceci is probably gone too.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
It might be a good idea to resign paajarvi next season. Maybe he can play a decent secondary scoring role and definitely brings speed to the sens. Decent 3rd liner and probably a low cost signing.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I certainly like Paajarvi's speed and size, and he still has the moves that made him a top ten pick. But would he sign here for what they will offer?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:On the above note, I expect Ottawa's roster to be significantly different next season. I don't see Smith, Gaborik or Claesson back. I see Burrows here because Dorion brought him in. One of karlsson or ceci is probably gone too.

I see why you are saying Claesson might be gone. But wouldn't the same apply to Ceci staying?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:On the above note, I expect Ottawa's roster to be significantly different next season. I don't see Smith, Gaborik or Claesson back. I see Burrows here because Dorion brought him in. One of karlsson or ceci is probably gone too.

I see why you are saying Claesson might be gone. But wouldn't the same apply to Ceci staying?

The organization seems intent on keeping one of Karlsson or Ceci. Not both. Claesson has had an atrocious season himself and has fallen out of favour with Boucher. As a 26 year old (next season) and pending RFA I am not sure he's worth the re-sign. Especially as a lefty where Ottawa seems to have the most depth. I see Wideman being re-signed on a cheap two year deal.

The blueline is crowded with Chabot, Boro, and Harpur on the left with no real partner for Karlsson. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me unless they plan on playing Chabot with Karlsson going forward. But that really limits Chabot offensively.

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
PTFlea wrote:I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

If Duchene sticks around, thatís probably a good thing you like him more than Karlsson based on Bobby Ryanís latest quote that went public.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
PTFlea wrote:I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

Me too. I see there being a difference between someone you can build a franchise around and someone who is an elite talent.

Karlsson is an elite talent but I am not convinced he is someone you want to build a franchise around. Duchene seems to wear his heart on his sleeve and be an active member in the community. He seems like a true role model and a player that Ottawa has needed for a long time (since Fisher, Neil, and Alfie).

I'm probably going to be berated for this, but it's like comparing the personalities of Spezza and Alfredsson. Spezza had more talent than Alfie but was a plug off the ice. Alfredsson was a legend both on and off the ice. Duchene seems like he airs more on the side of Alfie than Karlsson.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:

If Duchene sticks around, thatís probably a good thing you like him more than Karlsson based on Bobby Ryanís latest quote that went public.

The one about him and Karlsson being shipped out to the western conference?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 25 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum