Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Share

    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 832
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Lagoon on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:40 pm

    If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 14288
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:01 pm

    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21497
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

    But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 pm

    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

    But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

    I was thinking the same. He has a real shot of turning pro next season and actually getting good minutes in the AHL
    Edit: In Ottawa's organization.


    Last edited by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 832
    Age : 31
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Lagoon on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 pm

    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

    But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

    You sound like you are ready to make Ottawa a development franchise for the NHL too. Wolanin is 23 in 5 days and a fourth round pick that has gotten better and bigger every year since Ottawa drafted him. He was the best player on the ice during Send development camp 3-on-3 scrimmages. He has potential and him walking away would hurt. You cant just replace him in the draft with another 18 year old draftee.

    What prime opportunity do you see in Ottawa and Belleville? Are you seeing young guys getting playing time in either league? Im not sure what you see but I can see what Wolanin is rumoured to see.

    Even if Belleville and Ottawa are giving young players shots, it is his right to become a UFA and go to many of the teams that arent a mess and also giving young players the chances that Ottawa actually isnt.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21497
    Age : 27
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:55 pm

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

    But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

    I was thinking the same. He has a real shot of turning pro next season and actually getting good minutes in the AHL
    Edit: In Ottawa's organization.

    Yup really no reason for him to not sign here other than if he wanted to play for his "home town" Wings. In that case I would not fault him for leaving, as I would want to play for the Sens if I was turning pro.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 pm

    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

    But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

    You sound like you are ready to make Ottawa a development franchise for the NHL too. Wolanin is 23 in 5 days and a fourth round pick that has gotten better and bigger every year since Ottawa drafted him. He was the best player on the ice during Send development camp 3-on-3 scrimmages. He has potential and him walking away would hurt. You cant just replace him in the draft with another 18 year old draftee.

    What prime opportunity do you see in Ottawa and Belleville? Are you seeing young guys getting playing time in either league? Im not sure what you see but I can see what Wolanin is rumoured to see.

    Even if Belleville and Ottawa are giving young players shots, it is his right to become a UFA and go to many of the teams that arent a mess and also giving young players the chances that Ottawa actually isnt.

    It's within his right, yes, but Ottawa has indicated to fans their intent of getting younger, faster, and rebuilding which means he won't be buried below veteran contracts. A 23 year old has a real shot to make the NHL nowadays. Maybe with a year of seasoning in Belleville (which isn't the worst place to play for a dual citizen with roots in Quebec and Michigan). Ottawa is stumbling into next year with a lot of holes in their blue line . He's got as a much of a shot as making the team as Jaros or Englund, and as far as I am concerned Chabot (and Harpur and Boro) are the only certainties on Ottawa's blueline next season.
    avatar
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 832
    Age : 31
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Lagoon on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:19 pm

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:If the media is to be believed, Wolanin may chose to become a UFA instead of signing with Ottawa. Who can blame him? Ripple-effect of the state of the entire organization.

    Great.... Facepalm

    Not sure he has any NHL upside, so not a big loss. Could replace him in any draft.

    But if I were in his shoes, it doesn't matter what the org is like. There is prime opportunity on D in Ottawa and Belleville.

    You sound like you are ready to make Ottawa a development franchise for the NHL too. Wolanin is 23 in 5 days and a fourth round pick that has gotten better and bigger every year since Ottawa drafted him. He was the best player on the ice during Send development camp 3-on-3 scrimmages. He has potential and him walking away would hurt. You cant just replace him in the draft with another 18 year old draftee.

    What prime opportunity do you see in Ottawa and Belleville? Are you seeing young guys getting playing time in either league? Im not sure what you see but I can see what Wolanin is rumoured to see.

    Even if Belleville and Ottawa are giving young players shots, it is his right to become a UFA and go to many of the teams that arent a mess and also giving young players the chances that Ottawa actually isnt.

    It's within his right, yes, but Ottawa has indicated to fans their intent of getting younger, faster, and rebuilding which means he won't be buried below veteran contracts. A 23 year old has a real shot to make the NHL nowadays. Maybe with a year of seasoning in Belleville (which isn't the worst place to play for a dual citizen with roots in Quebec and Michigan). Ottawa is stumbling into next year with a lot of holes in their blue line . He's got as a much of a shot as making the team as Jaros or Englund, and as far as I am concerned Chabot (and Harpur and Boro) are the only certainties on Ottawa's blueline next season.

    Well see what happens. I would like him to stay as he is a puck-moving, shot-driving defenceman much like Wideman. Their careers are similar actually and even though Ev has said Wolanin doesnt have NHL upside, he said the same about Wideman and also wanted Hoffman on waivers. We saw what happens when Wideman goes down (Boros injury hurt too) and we know what Hoffman brings.

    Wolanin would be sought-after by many teams if he were to be a UFA in my opinion. I think it would be a shame to lose him and to say he can be replaced at the draft is ridiculous. Thats a cycle that we should avoid for any chance at success.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

    The fact is Ottawa's ownership group and deployment of players is not enticing anyone to sign here. So for Wolanin to want to test out his other options - who can blame him.

    That said you want players to want to play for your organization. If he walks then it's another message to ownership and management that they're doing something wrong.

    They said the same thing about White last season. Sign this guy to an ELC, give him some games this year, and if he's unhappy trade him.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

    On the above note, I expect Ottawa's roster to be significantly different next season. I don't see Smith, Gaborik or Claesson back. I see Burrows here because Dorion brought him in. One of karlsson or ceci is probably gone too.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 14288
    Age : 42
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:33 pm

    It might be a good idea to resign paajarvi next season. Maybe he can play a decent secondary scoring role and definitely brings speed to the sens. Decent 3rd liner and probably a low cost signing.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49245
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 am

    I certainly like Paajarvi's speed and size, and he still has the moves that made him a top ten pick. But would he sign here for what they will offer?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49245
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:On the above note, I expect Ottawa's roster to be significantly different next season. I don't see Smith, Gaborik or Claesson back. I see Burrows here because Dorion brought him in. One of karlsson or ceci is probably gone too.

    I see why you are saying Claesson might be gone. But wouldn't the same apply to Ceci staying?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 55209
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 am

    I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 am

    wprager wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:On the above note, I expect Ottawa's roster to be significantly different next season. I don't see Smith, Gaborik or Claesson back. I see Burrows here because Dorion brought him in. One of karlsson or ceci is probably gone too.

    I see why you are saying Claesson might be gone. But wouldn't the same apply to Ceci staying?

    The organization seems intent on keeping one of Karlsson or Ceci. Not both. Claesson has had an atrocious season himself and has fallen out of favour with Boucher. As a 26 year old (next season) and pending RFA I am not sure he's worth the re-sign. Especially as a lefty where Ottawa seems to have the most depth. I see Wideman being re-signed on a cheap two year deal.

    The blueline is crowded with Chabot, Boro, and Harpur on the left with no real partner for Karlsson. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me unless they plan on playing Chabot with Karlsson going forward. But that really limits Chabot offensively.
    avatar
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 832
    Age : 31
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Lagoon on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

    PTFlea wrote:I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

    If Duchene sticks around, thats probably a good thing you like him more than Karlsson based on Bobby Ryans latest quote that went public.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 am

    PTFlea wrote:I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

    Me too. I see there being a difference between someone you can build a franchise around and someone who is an elite talent.

    Karlsson is an elite talent but I am not convinced he is someone you want to build a franchise around. Duchene seems to wear his heart on his sleeve and be an active member in the community. He seems like a true role model and a player that Ottawa has needed for a long time (since Fisher, Neil, and Alfie).

    I'm probably going to be berated for this, but it's like comparing the personalities of Spezza and Alfredsson. Spezza had more talent than Alfie but was a plug off the ice. Alfredsson was a legend both on and off the ice. Duchene seems like he airs more on the side of Alfie than Karlsson.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2680
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am

    Lagoon wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I think Duchene has passed Karlsson for me as my favourite player on Ottawa.

    If Duchene sticks around, thats probably a good thing you like him more than Karlsson based on Bobby Ryans latest quote that went public.

    The one about him and Karlsson being shipped out to the western conference?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 pm