Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14356
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by Flo The Action on Tue May 01, 2018 6:07 pm

So apparently Boucher will be back next year. (Melnyk opened up hos penny wallet and decided he couldnt afford another coach)

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 pm

There is a silver lining. KK is gone in belvo

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49363
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 pm

I like the idea that they are not saying it was all the coach's fault. The players have largely escaped with no consequences for a very long time (back when they *were* spending to the cap more than lately). And I am not shocked Boucher is back because that's what all the media have been saying (to the point that I now think this was Dorion testing the waters). But I am surprised the entire coaching team survived.

I get it that firing the assistants doesn't solve anything, but in this case we had two *associate* coaches. I thought the reason for having the two was exactly this situation - fire the coach but keep some continuity.

Oh well, guess we'll see.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Flo The Action on Tue May 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Well with Boucher taking over the PP I guess hes putting the noose around his neck. If it fails to click then its a quick pull of the chair from dorion. If we wind up in the top half of the league then he might secure a one or two year extension.

The one thing I remember about Boucher coaching minor is how great a teacher he was. Look at any quotes from his past players. If he can change his philosophy to a development coach again then he might do quite well in Ottawa. Even have success again.
    I guess well see.

Glad to hear speed is gonna be a central theme again. With all the youth thats likely gonna be on the team its a good identity to have and reinforce.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

Post by Lagoon on Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 pm

We will see if speed is a theme when we see what they do with Karlsson. Im confident he stays until at least the trade deadline. Speed and an agressive onslaught of a forecheck would be a good start.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13652
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed May 02, 2018 12:30 am

Pesky Sens needs to be their identity again.

- Unknown Author
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17184
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am

I'm glad the Sens are finally sticking with a coaching staff, but I'm just not sure if this is the right staff. Oh well, there's going to be lots of player turnover, so we'll see how it all shakes out.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 am

tim1_2 wrote:I'm glad the Sens are finally sticking with a coaching staff, but I'm just not sure if this is the right staff. Oh well, there's going to be lots of player turnover, so we'll see how it all shakes out.
    Ou her has his flaws but if any of the past coaches since BM is smart enough to adjust, its him.
    Hes still the most capable coach weve had in 10 years.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I'm glad the Sens are finally sticking with a coaching staff, but I'm just not sure if this is the right staff. Oh well, there's going to be lots of player turnover, so we'll see how it all shakes out.
    Ou her has his flaws but if any of the past coaches since BM is smart enough to adjust, its him.

I agree that Boucher might be the most skilled coach we've had in a long time, but if the team has tuned him out, that's not something that can be corrected, no matter how much Boucher changes (and I doubt he's going to change much).
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

I agree that Boucher might be the most skilled coach we've had in a long time, but if the team has tuned him out, that's not something that can be corrected, no matter how much Boucher changes (and I doubt he's going to change much).

Maybe its time for the team to learn to tune him back in.

I think thats the whole problem in Ottawa.

Besides, I dont think that was the whole point. Exit interviews didnt suggest the players had anything against Boucher.
    If anything its the lack of quality players inserted in the off season that messed us up.

Boucher tried his best. Maybe he was told by management that burrows and oduya had to be played.
    I mean, especially with burrows. Benching a guy that Dorion hand picked to be on the team...
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Besides, I dont think that was the whole point. Exit interviews didnt suggest the players had anything against Boucher.

Do you really think that the info would come out publicly if the players said bad things about Boucher in exit interviews?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed May 02, 2018 5:59 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

Do you really think that the info would come out publicly if the players said bad things about Boucher in exit interviews?

Not completely directly but there were th8bgs said in other years that let you feel they were dissatisfied. This year many players have come out and said it was on them. I dunno. Feels different.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri May 04, 2018 10:48 am

Colin White centering Team USAs top line with Gaudreau and Patty Kane. Good thing Boucher or KK isnt their coach. What a dogfuck our coaches were.

Id like him to center our L2 as of right now. Boucher better be able to change.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:15 am

Lagoon wrote:Colin White centering Team USAs top line with Gaudreau and Patty Kane. Good thing Boucher or KK isnt their coach. What a dogfuck our coaches were.

Id like him to center our L2 as of right now. Boucher better be able to change.

That's quite something.

At least Dorion acknowledged publicly that one of the thing's Boucher would have to change is his usage of the young guys. Now, it could be out of necessity if they continue gutting the team, but we should see guys like White in more prominent roles come October.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri May 04, 2018 1:34 pm

No points for White or Chabot. White had the more prominent role even though he switched lines sometime late in the second period it seemed. White looked good. Chabot was out with McDavid and RNH in OT and it was beautiful.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri May 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Pokka to the KHL. Big loss for Belleville in my opinion. Lost Dido for nothing.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri May 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Lagoon wrote:Pokka to the KHL. Big loss for Belleville in my opinion. Lost Dido for nothing.

Since he's a RFA, I guess we retain his NHL rights or something like that?
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Fri May 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Yeah, Dido is a UFA if I remember correctly, but it was still a surprisingly low return on Dido. We do indeed retain Pokkas rights however. Shocking to me that he never once got to see NHL action in his 4 years since being drafted. He is what he is and thats an offensive Dman and PP quarterback that has but up 30+ points in all 4 pro seasons hes had. Id like to see what they do in Belleville next season and how players are used. There were a lot of questionable decisions down there and with callups here. Im not suggesting a one game callup could have kept him in NA, but if he was in their plans for 2019, I couldnt have hurt. I mean its not like our right side didnt need help at the end of the year when Karlsson was out and we had callups to burn. Watch him have an excellent World Championships now. Hes the lone Dman on PP1 and ahead of Honka who is on PP2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 pm