You are not connected. Please login or register

» Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 62 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Go away Melnyk.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I was told from one of Methot's friends a few years back that the ownership doesn't have a do what it takes to win mentality. Athletes want to win. It's a matter of time before the players start turning. Karlsson not re-signing or being traded could signal the exodus

Then the athletes are the biggest part of the problem. Take Vegas as an example right now. 68 million dollar payroll, do you think they Wing Dang Doodle and whine about dollars spent?

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Nope. But their team is talented. I blame management for dishing out bad contracts and signing bad players

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Purses could really have a $68M payroll of you take away the bad contracts. But that's not the point, really, is it?

Vegas is in a unique situation. Too many GMs gave up good young players on cheap contracts because they were afraid of losing that veteran who they thought they needed to get them to the post season. Or their hand was forced by No Move clauses. They got one legitimate superstar in Fleury and Pittsburgh were bending over backwards for them to take him because of their own cap issues. To complete the picture they got a very good coach who was willing to change his approach to the players he was given. The tragic events early in the season galvanized the team just like Nicholle's illness did last year for the Sens.

That salary structure is not maintainable as they will find out in year 2.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
No idea who this project Smith is not he's not Bobby Mac. Back up the salt truck.

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:No idea who this project Smith is not he's not Bobby Mac. Back up the salt truck.

I can confirm that I heard the same about 4 weeks ago from a reliable source. No money from Melnyk for months and the team was being bankrolled. Team could be sold by summer but the last thing the NHL wants during the playoffs is to address this. Besides my source I hadn't heard about it anywhere. If there's more talk about it next week hopefully someone will havr to address it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Wow. It’s pretty obvious what Ottawa needs is a hard reset.
With everything that’s going on behind the scene and with players. I mean, we’ll likely lose kalrsson unless new ownership can step in and even then.

Things that need to happen:
New ownership
New assistant management (looking like it might get forced anyways)
New management (bye bye Dorion, we don’t need a yes man to new ownership)
New coach(s)
New players (added)

And that’s in order of importance

Looks like a very hard reset to me from top to bottom.
I’d keep management till after the draft under new ownership with tight instructions on what to do on July 1st. If Dorion can’t deliver on everything that’s needed then he’s gone. Which likely means he’d be gone. This is what we probably need let’s face it.

Edit: oh and have Alfredsson back in the management structure.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Agree. I hope there is truth to the rumors. It looks like a new ownership group could immediately impact points 1,2 and 5 with 3 and 4 happening by the end of next season. Dorion Imo will always be remembered for the burrows trade no matter what he does going forward. The Duchene trade could equally blow up. Only time will tell. I believe Boucher is gone by the end of the year regardless of all of this

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Let's not anoint Alfie as a saint and saviour, yet. Held out twice, lost it on the bench (and on the ice, when he shot the puck at Niedermayer), left the team when he was disrespected with a low offer, threw his teammates under the bus by implying he had a better shot with Detroit, "probably not".

I still want him back but he has to earn his job and position, it can't be just given to him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I'd like to see him as AGM personally but not to Dorion - someone with pedigree

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Alfie did fine. If anything I respect him more for not towing the company line. Shows plenty more critical thinking.
I think he should be a AGM under a new GM. Eventually it will like ply happen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Anyway, you don't have to *toe* the company line; just don't make up excuses like he did. He basically implied that he didn't think he could win with the players on the roster. He also contradicted what Murray said, essentially calling him a liar.

There were many ways this could have been done differently, including keeping his mouth closed like Chara did.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Anyway, you don't have to *toe* the company line; just don't make up excuses like he did. He basically implied that he didn't think he could win with the players on the roster. He also contradicted what Murray said, essentially calling him a liar.

There were many ways this could have been done differently, including keeping his mouth closed like Chara did.

Not sure why you're STILL harping on this years later.

Anyway, we heard the Melnyk rumours months ago and nothing has happened yet. Hopefully it is all just being kept quiet until after the Finals are over, but I ain't holding my breath anymore.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Randy Lee got his passport back and will reappear in Buffalo court on June 22nd (round 1 of the draft).

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore
Was at a BBQ on the weekend and an interesting discussion came up. There was a lot of talk from this reporter, of talk around the NHL involving Methot and Karlsson, and how they are more linked at the hip than people might believe. The thought is that if Ottawa is able to keep Karlsson and get him signed, that Methot would be very open to coming home. He's made no secret of the fact he loved playing for his home town team, and with him being a UFA at the same time as Karlsson, it's very possible that if you can sign Karlsson you have a good chance of getting Methot back if you want at a cap friendly contract.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks, but I maintain (as others have said as well) if Ottawa takes a dman, then they know that they won't be keeping Karlsson. But if they take a fwd, then maybe you get Karlsson signed, and possibly Methot back.

This is all speculation but you then could Flip Ceci for a 1st round pick next year (that draft is looking crazy good) or the year after (it's even better looking right now), and you'd have the possibility of

Methot Karlsson
Claesson Chabot
Harpur/Boro Wolanin

Jaros/England (as the 7th)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I keep hearing about it because people keep canonizing Alfie and appointing him as the next owner, GM, franchise saviour.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I was never expecting Melnyk to be a good human being, so he never disappointed me. Did I hold the car higher for Alfie? Absolutely, and I was, consequently, very disappointed.

Last edited by wprager on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:Let's not anoint Alfie as a saint and saviour, yet. Held out twice, lost it on the bench (and on the ice, when he shot the puck at Niedermayer), left the team when he was disrespected with a low offer, threw his teammates under the bus by implying he had a better shot with Detroit, "probably not".

I still want him back but he has to earn his job and position, it can't be just given to him.

When did Alfie hold out...I don't remember it...at least if he held out it wasn't for more than training camp, I don't remember him missing league games. The losing it on the bench and on the Ice, every elite athlete is like that. The reason they are as good as they are is that they have a drive and an understanding of the game that others don't and as a result their frustration levels are higher. As for the contract and leaving for Detroit...well there was a lot of reasons for it, and business played a lot. Yes he felt disrespected by the offer from Ottawa (and I don't blame him) but there was another reason, why he left the country for 2 years before retiring.....if you do some digging I'm sure you'll find it, and it wasn't necessarily hockey related.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 62 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum