You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I keep hearing about it because people keep canonizing Alfie and appointing him as the next owner, GM, franchise saviour.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I was never expecting Melnyk to be a good human being, so he never disappointed me. Did I hold the car higher for Alfie? Absolutely, and I was, consequently, very disappointed.

Last edited by wprager on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:Let's not anoint Alfie as a saint and saviour, yet. Held out twice, lost it on the bench (and on the ice, when he shot the puck at Niedermayer), left the team when he was disrespected with a low offer, threw his teammates under the bus by implying he had a better shot with Detroit, "probably not".

I still want him back but he has to earn his job and position, it can't be just given to him.

When did Alfie hold out...I don't remember it...at least if he held out it wasn't for more than training camp, I don't remember him missing league games. The losing it on the bench and on the Ice, every elite athlete is like that. The reason they are as good as they are is that they have a drive and an understanding of the game that others don't and as a result their frustration levels are higher. As for the contract and leaving for Detroit...well there was a lot of reasons for it, and business played a lot. Yes he felt disrespected by the offer from Ottawa (and I don't blame him) but there was another reason, why he left the country for 2 years before retiring.....if you do some digging I'm sure you'll find it, and it wasn't necessarily hockey related.

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore
Flo The Action wrote:
Who is this projects smith?

And Iím surprised this info wouldnít have leaked sooner.
Would this be a complete sale or partial sale? If Melnyk canít handle making paiements then I would imagine it would have to be a complete sale.

Sooo...this is what I'm referring to. I don't know who this guy is, but I heard it from a friend who works for the NHL. For me the shocker is Mark Cohodes, he is a well respected investment analyst, and yes he is traditionally a pessimist, but when he sees something that he calls out (corrupt business practices, fraud, or companies being run poorly) he'll short the hell out of the company.

He's been calling out Melnyk for a long long long time and recently he's been exposing "the gene" and his lack of wealth and business ethics. Do some reading, and you'll see how bad a financial situation they are in.

If what I'm told is true, the Sens have 0 cash which is why their front office and team management have been reduced so significantly because they don't have the money to pay them. Hell I know a player that is part of the organization and he told me that the players on one of the farm teams, have to buy their own water bottles.......

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Of course they have zero cash. Melnyk is up to his eyes in debt. This isn't a secret and hasn't been for years. There's a reason Melnyk made the City of Belleville give him a $10M loan as part of the agreement of moving the B-Sens there.

If people have links discussing what a bad financial situation the Euge/Sens are in, they should be posting them here instead of saying things like "do some reading"....the internet is a vast space and finding specific things can be very difficult.

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore
tim1_2 wrote:Of course they have zero cash. †Melnyk is up to his eyes in debt. †This isn't a secret and hasn't been for years. †There's a reason Melnyk made the City of Belleville give him a $10M loan as part of the agreement of moving the B-Sens there. †

If people have links discussing what a bad financial situation the Euge/Sens are in, they should be posting them here instead of saying things like "do some reading"....the internet is a vast space and finding specific things can be very difficult.

Unfortunately if I post the links or information I have I'll be outing myself and at least one person I know who works in the NHL. I stayed quiet for the last couple of years because I have a child approaching a level of hockey that might make him of interest in the NHL. I'm not about to potentially put his future at risk and I know it's a bit paranoid, but the hockey world is punishing to those they feel are outing them. Search and you'll find all the information you're looking for, that or catch me walking down the street and I can fill you in and you can post it....

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
22_4_ever wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Of course they have zero cash. †Melnyk is up to his eyes in debt. †This isn't a secret and hasn't been for years. †There's a reason Melnyk made the City of Belleville give him a $10M loan as part of the agreement of moving the B-Sens there. †

Unfortunately if I post the links or information I have I'll be outing myself and at least one person I know who works in the NHL. †I stayed quiet for the last couple of years because I have a child approaching a level of hockey that might make him of interest in the NHL. †I'm not about to potentially put his future at risk and I know it's a bit paranoid, but the hockey world is punishing to those they feel are outing them. †Search and you'll find all the information you're looking for, that or catch me walking down the street and I can fill you in and you can post it....

The good news is that if Melnyk is bleeding money uncontrollably there is no way he will continue owning the teM for much longer. He might be trying to position himself to try to get more in a sale but thatís it. The Sens donít make money enough to finance the leverage Melnyk supposedly is in.

Hopefully this comes to pass sooner rather than later.

On another side note, if the primary buyers are to be Circe du soleil, then be prepared to have the in game entertainment to go up several notches. Iím not saying theyíll be circus acts in between periods but it is part of the business capabilities to work on using the entertainment levels. Also they are amazing branding experts and if they are interested in purchasing expert then I expect them to try and bring the product passed the boundaries of the Ottawa valley and make the senators a recognizable brand in hockey aimed in developing interest in a much wider field.

It would be all good things.
Now if itís not cirque du soleil but just Guy Lalibertť than Iím not sure. Heís got the same business savvy than the cirque but it is a one man show.
Guy has remained a minority owner of cirque du soleil but heís no longer a key contributor to business operation. So itís much bigger stretch to expect these types of changes.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
So Randy Lee is married with kids? What a ****ing mess. Actually strike the "married" tag. His bio on the Sens website says he lives in Ottawa with his 3 kids.

You would think, if this is how he is, in his previous roles there would have been tons of opportunities for this kind of behavior. For the Sens to not immediately suspend him is very disturbing. Could be that they know he's innocent. Could also be they want to dismiss any notion that they knew about his "preferences". †If this has happened in the past I suspect there will be some legal actions soon.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:So Randy Lee is married with kids? What a ****ing mess. Actually strike the "married" tag. His bio on the Sens website says he lives in Ottawa with his 3 kids.

You would think, if this is how he is, in his previous roles there would have been tons of opportunities for this kind of behavior. For the Sens to not immediately suspend him is very disturbing. Could be that they know he's innocent. Could also be they want to dismiss any notion that they knew about his "preferences". †If this has happened in the past I suspect there will be some legal actions soon.

In this case I think itís best to let die process takes its course. Itís not like this is a civil matter where there could be an off court settlement. This is a criminal proceeding.
Iíd hold off putting blame until the story clears up. Lots of hear sayat this point.

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
I think it is indefensible for the Sens to take the route they are with Lee. What has come out, he should at least be put on a leave. This season keeps getting worse and Iím sure we thought the only thing that could make it worse was Karlsson leaving.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
As much as I understand and support the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", I still think the best step would have been to place him on administrative leave. He won't be there for day or if there draft and they *certainly* can't have him interviewing 18 year old prospects. So there is nothing for him to do "at the office".

If they are so confident of his innocence - the guy he's been in the organization for 24 years, they should be fairly sure one way or the other - then why didn't they come out and say so?

This smells really, really bad.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:As much as I understand and support the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", †I still think the best step would have been to place him on administrative leave. He won't be there for day or if there draft and they *certainly* can't have him interviewing 18 year old prospects. So there is nothing for him to do "at the office".

If they are so confident of his innocence - the guy he's been in the organization for 24 years, they should be fairly sure one way or the other - then why didn't they come out and say so?

This smells really, really bad.

Well of course they can't come out and say they think he's innocent or they think he's guilty. Have you ever seen an organization do that while someone is under investigation?

Yeah, placing him on leave would've been the wisest choice from a PR perspective.

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:So Randy Lee is married with kids? What a ****ing mess. Actually strike the "married" tag. His bio on the Sens website says he lives in Ottawa with his 3 kids.

In this case I think itís best to let die process takes its course. Itís not like this is a civil matter where there could be an off court settlement. This is a criminal proceeding.
Iíd hold off putting blame until the story clears up. Lots of hear sayat this point.

Agreed, if they release him based on the charge and he's proven innocent then a major lawsuit could be filed against the Sens and they are already bleeding money and having to scramble. Plus they would have lost a valuable asset. I know (if true) his actions should result in his dismissal but he is a top notch hockey asset, and right now the Sens need as many as they can get.

I suspect even if found guilty, they'll keep him and announce he taking a leave of absence (after the draft) and getting help.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Agreed, if they release him based on the charge and he's proven innocent then a major lawsuit could be filed against the Sens and they are already bleeding money and having to scramble. †Plus they would have lost a valuable asset. †I know (if true) his actions should result in his dismissal but he is a top notch hockey asset, and right now the Sens need as many as they can get.

I suspect even if found guilty, they'll keep him and announce he taking a leave of absence (after the draft) and getting help.

Yeah that sounds about right. As far as PR, I think the damage is already done. If heís innocent it will look like the Sens stood by their man, if heís guilty they they will cut ties and ďdo the right thingĒ. Iím sure heíll keep a low profile until a resolution happens.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Top notch hockey asset? You do realize that he had been the Bingo/Belleville GM the last 3-4 seasons. And prior to that he was in charge of player development, including they likes of JOB, Cowen, Lehner, Lazar, Wiercioch, Puempel.

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:Top notch hockey asset? You do realize that he had been the Bingo/Belleville GM the last 3-4 seasons. And prior to that he was in charge of player development, including they likes of JOB, Cowen, Lehner, Lazar, Wiercioch, Puempel.

If only the job was just running Bingo/Belleville. There's a lot more to it than that, and yes I call him a top notch NHL mind. He was instrumental for the development of the team that went to the Stanley Cup, and I don't remember anyone Wing Dang Doodle about him then. Losing Randy Lee will have a huge affect on this frachise, he's been around for 20 years, and in charge of development for more than 10 years...

So I guess the sens haven't developed players for the last 20 years... Don't be so short sighted. Just because he isn't in the paper every day or on the Radio doesn't mean he isn't a big part of the team.

I stand by my stance that if he's guilty, he'll be sent away on administrative leave for however long to get "help" and then he'll be back. This isn't as big a black eye for the association as you might think. It's not even an offense that will go on his record...hell Melnyk himself has been found guilty or more egregious actions by the OSC and was banned from holding board positions for more than 5 years.

Is it reprehensible what he did, yes...but why would you fire a good employee because of something that doesn't result in a criminal record.

Fire him because he's not doing his job...but don't use this as an excuse.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I had an incredibly vivid dream that Eugene sold the Sens. I opened up tsn.ca and there was a big picture of The Alfie speaking at a podium announcing the sale of the team to a group that included Minto and a couple other companies (not the Cirque de Soleil group from what I remember). In my dream, I cried tears of joyÖit was so ridiculous. The worst part was waking up and coming to the realization that it was just a dream. Oh well, hopefully dreams do come true and the rumours of the NHL holding off announcing anything until after the Stanley Cup Finals are true.

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
If found guilty, he probably wonít be allowed to work around kids or boys, so thereís that. His leave wonít be an excuse, it would probably be ordered by a judge. Iíve been around the court system, it is not a surprise to me that he wonít be allowed to attend the draft without major inconveniences.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum