2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:A shoot first forward who isn't strong along the boards or defensively and hasn't scored 30 or more goals isn't what Ottawa can afford to keep right now if the plan is to re-sign Karlsson, Duchene and Stone while also absorbing Ryan's contract. Hoff will want $7M+ on his next contract which is too much for someone with his limited skillset and bad attitude

    Speed kills in this NHL, he is what he is, but defence first did absolutely nothing for us last year.  We have enough of those guys, we need a sniper.  If not him, then who?  Dzingel?  

    And I'm VERY pessimistic about signing Karlsson.  I love Duchene and consider him near as important as Karlsson, but they had better sign Karlsson or there's gonna be an apocalypse around Sens fans.  One that'll be felt everywhere, especially the box office.

    There should be an apocalypse.

    But then again, if we are up to the point where kalrsson doesn’t want to resign here. I personally wouldn’t blame him. Not under the current ownership.

    I think he’s gone.

    The only thing that can save this I think is the team being sold and the new ownership telling kalrsson they will go max cap and do what is needed to make this team competitive in a year or two. Like we originally were.

    The major blunder was Dorion not doing anything to make this team better in the off season and the few bad contracts he gave.
    Why did we need to give burrows those two years? What did we resign Anderson early? All those could have been avoided. And even with burrows, decent ownership would buy out that Dung.

    We need a saviour. We need Melnyk ran out of town by torches and pitchforks.

    I don't blame him for Anderson at all.  Burrows was ridiculous, but it's not an anchor or anything.  Ryan is an anchor.  Gaborik is an anchor, although, I believe both players are serviceable and if we can make the playoffs, they would contribute.

    You don’t blame him for Anderson?

    Was there any reason to sign Anderson last summer vs this summer? The guy is on the wrong side of 30, had one last year on his contract and was never gonna test FA if Ottawa offered him a fair contract this summer. He stunk this year and we could have easily offered him a much smaller contract this summer for a few mill less and possibly a one year basis.
    Absolutely stupid. I thought it was unnecessary when it happened and I hate it now.

    If new ownership comes in, I won’t be upset if Dorion gets fired.
    We don’t need owners lap dog to run our team.

    All the guys that turned down the position in Carolina? that’s what I want.

    There's really no reason to have thought Anderson would decline as he did - and I still think it was mostly the defence to blame. He's been our best goalie ever and you extend the olive branch to guys like that. It's loyalty and it means a lot.

    That's my take on it.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm

    I share Flo's sentiment and feel the same about the Boro and Harpur contracts. Signed these guys way too early with too much term. Harpur isn't NHL ready, and Boro is on borrowed time given his style of play. Not to mention the logjam of 5-6 pair dmen on this team. Made zero sense at the time and makes less sense now

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:22 pm

    It's good to have depth but not at the expense of not having the right players to play key positions or #1 LHD, #2 LW, etc
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:47 pm

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I share Flo's sentiment and feel the same about the Boro and Harpur contracts. Signed these guys way too early with too much term. Harpur isn't NHL ready, and Boro is on borrowed time given his style of play. Not to mention the logjam of 5-6 pair dmen on this team. Made zero sense at the time and makes less sense now

    Those are very literally the least of the Sens worries. Tiny contracts for 5/6 D-men for 2 million dollars combined means nothing - and both of those players can play a very serviceable role on the 3rd pairing IMO.

    Anderson is debatable, but again, he deserved the benefit of the doubt IMO.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13933
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:58 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I share Flo's sentiment and feel the same about the Boro and Harpur contracts. Signed these guys way too early with too much term. Harpur isn't NHL ready, and Boro is on borrowed time given his style of play. Not to mention the logjam of 5-6 pair dmen on this team. Made zero sense at the time and makes less sense now

    Those are very literally the least of the Sens worries.  Tiny contracts for 5/6 D-men for 2 million dollars combined means nothing - and both of those players can play a very serviceable role on the 3rd pairing IMO.  

    Anderson is debatable, but again, he deserved the benefit of the doubt IMO.

    Olive branches are held out to players you need to mend bridges with.

    Anderson and the Sens had a great working relationship. There was nothing to suggest we should be giving a guy 2 years more on top of the remaining year.
    The Sens could have just said we’ll keep you as long as you want to play and pay you fair value on your performance. It’s not like Anderson was going to walk out after. They way overpaid on Anderson judging on last years performance.
    We could have resigned him this year for a little over half of what he’s getting. And with a penny pinching owner like we have that’s mega important.

    This is a terrible move.

    And like all the other reasons I highlighted, I want him out if a ne ownership comes in.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I share Flo's sentiment and feel the same about the Boro and Harpur contracts. Signed these guys way too early with too much term. Harpur isn't NHL ready, and Boro is on borrowed time given his style of play. Not to mention the logjam of 5-6 pair dmen on this team. Made zero sense at the time and makes less sense now

    Those are very literally the least of the Sens worries.  Tiny contracts for 5/6 D-men for 2 million dollars combined means nothing - and both of those players can play a very serviceable role on the 3rd pairing IMO.  

    Anderson is debatable, but again, he deserved the benefit of the doubt IMO.

    Olive branches are held out to players you need to mend bridges with.

    Anderson and the Sens had a great working relationship. There was nothing to suggest we should be giving a guy 2 years more on top of the remaining year.
    The Sens could have just said we’ll keep you as long as you want to play and pay you fair value on your performance. It’s not like Anderson was going to walk out after. They way overpaid on Anderson judging on last years performance.
    We could have resigned him this year for a little over half of what he’s getting. And with a penny pinching owner like we have that’s mega important.

    This is a terrible move.

    And like all the other reasons I highlighted, I want him out if a ne ownership comes in.

    I wouldn't mind purging the head office completely, but I'm not sure Anderson and Harpur etc. are the moves to have him exterminated. The defence from last year - and his inability to add big D-men in the offseason should have been his job. He sold me on the fact that we had a young, promising D core, but I'm just a a fan. He should be held accountable for the defence and accountable for the Brassard trade for ZBad and the 2nd and the Burrows ridiculous trade.

    I'd think about axing him personally, but I'd also like to see Boucher gone.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 pm

    The point I'm making is he doesnt understand the meaning g of leverage and makes irrational decisions
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:39 pm

    He's a crappy trader....
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48895
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by wprager on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:05 pm

    Burrows trade wasn't bad. Dahlen has not done anything yet and Burrows was *supposed* to provide grit and leadershi (and hugs) in the playoffs. The problem was the 2-year extension.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:40 pm

    wprager wrote:Burrows trade wasn't bad.  Dahlen has not done anything yet and Burrows was *supposed* to provide grit and leadershi (and hugs) in the playoffs.  The problem was the 2-year extension.

    I hate that trade. Hate it. Dahlen is going to be a good player.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 pm

    I think it's more about what Dorion doesn't do than what he does when it comes down to it. He's a crappy trader thus far - although Duchene seems worth the price. But that defence last year is a fireable offence IMO. Oduya instead of a #3 D-man...gosh. That was the season right there. We were an injury away from being a disaster at all times. Oduya might have been perfect for the third pair, but Diddle...even that was a stretch most of the season.

    This off-season he better load up on D-men and get this team on the right track - quick. I figure he and Boucher have 15 game next year, maybe 20 max to prove they've pointed us back in the right direction.

    I still like the core of the team personally. If by some chance we sign Karlsson and Duchene, I think we're pointed in the right direction - although Dorion has to get creative and acquire someone for the back end and really think about who his 2C will be.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:20 am

    How? Karlsson, Harpur, Chabot, Boro are already signed with Ceci likely to be extended. That's five guys right there. Claesson will probably hit free agency and Wideman should be resigned although he probably won't. Not a lot of room to load up on D unless some trades start happening but who really wants Boro or Haprur? And Ceci statistically was one of the worst dmen in the league and will probably be resigned to some ludicrous contract

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 am

    Our only good dman (save Chabot) is on the trade block

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:22 am

    And I'm sorry but Ottawa got hosed on the burrows trade. Dorions legacy in Ottawa will always be remembered by that bonehead trade. And extending him after was idiotic as well. Not a good look. Dhalen will be a good player on Van City
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48895
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by wprager on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:48 am

    PTFlea wrote:
    wprager wrote:Burrows trade wasn't bad.  Dahlen has not done anything yet and Burrows was *supposed* to provide grit and leadershi (and hugs) in the playoffs.  The problem was the 2-year extension.

    I hate that trade.  Hate it.  Dahlen is going to be a good player.


    The next Peter Regin, no doubt, right?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:22 am

    Peter Regin > Alex Burrows (as a sen)
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54879
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by PTFlea on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 am

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:How? Karlsson, Harpur, Chabot, Boro are already signed with Ceci likely to be extended. That's five guys right there. Claesson will probably hit free agency and Wideman should be resigned although he probably won't. Not a lot of room to load up on D unless some trades start happening but who really wants Boro or Haprur? And Ceci statistically was one of the worst dmen in the league and will probably be resigned to some ludicrous contract

    Harpur and Boro can fight it out for the 6th spot, so really that's 4 spots with some huge holes. Just gaping wounds on that back end.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2429
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am

    Missing #1 LHD, #3 RHD, and arguably #2 RHD with #1 RHD on the trade block. I think the D is better with Karlsson retained and paired with another dman who can play 25 minutes a night in a shutdown role. I believe Calgary expressed interest in Hoffman. Wonder if someone like Brodie or Hamilton would be available

    Sponsored content

    Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 pm