You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
If we've known since the deadline, we're morons, although I would fully expect an opposing GM to do his homework when acquiring a player like Hoffman with term and $$ owed.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Things like this happen in the NHL all the time. Look back at Brind'amour & Lindros, Pronger, Spezza/Heatley (allegedly), etc.

This situation is a little different because it's between players' wives. I am sure in hockey circles wives may not like each other, they may talk dung behind their backs, trash-talk, etc. This is no different with the exception of it becoming public. Trolls like Hoffman's fiancé exist and are present online all the time. What's different is she got caught and the linkage between players is surprising. This probably would have been kept private or had a much smaller impact if Melinda didn't file until after Hoffman got traded. I believe this is a case of the media jumping over an opportunity to stick their noses in a private matter while kicking the Sens organization while they're down (and rightfully so).

The real question is whether or not Hoffman knew. People cheat on their wives and husbands all the time without their partner knowing. I'd argue that cyber-bullying is much easier to keep under wraps than physically cheating on a spouse. So it is quite possible he didn't know, or if he did, maybe he didn't know the severity or thought it was just normal beef. As per his comments, any of us would defend our spouses no matter what. That is until all facts were presented to us and we could make a rational decision. He may not have known everything - at the same time he may know everything.

My theory is this came to light after the trade deadline but before the season ended, and before the trading period re-opened earlier this week. They may already have a trade completed for Hoffman but were waiting for the draft to announce it because it included a pick. Would have made things more exciting and helped ratings. Hoffman will still get traded. His agent should be advising him to release a statement saying that he didn't know this was happening, he will cooperate in the investigation, and his fiancée will get the support she needs (ie: rehab, sensitivity/harassment training, etc) if this information is true. If he was a party to this and knew it was happening this could be the end of his NHL career.

Let's not forget P Kane punched a cabbie in the face, I believe one of the Staal brothers did something stupid, Heatley killed his best friend, E Kane is a prick, Emery was a drug addict, etc. Hockey memories are short and people move on. Hoffman will be traded, his fiance will get 'help' or will be thrown to the curb, and that'll be it.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, I think as far as Hoffman goes, he'll just deny knowing anything about it, get traded, and that will be that. This certainly hurts his trade value, as now it's clear that he HAS to leave Ottawa (kind of like the Heatley situation). So Dorion's not really in the driver seat.... Man I feel bad for Dorion. A donkey of an owner, a mess with his assistant GM, player issues up the ying yang, etc. And there's nothing he could really do about any of these things....

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I think as far as Hoffman goes, he'll just deny knowing anything about it, get traded, and that will be that.  This certainly hurts his trade value, as now it's clear that he HAS to leave Ottawa (kind of like the Heatley situation).  So Dorion's not really in the driver seat....  Man I feel bad for Dorion.  A donkey of an owner, a mess with his assistant GM, player issues up the ying yang, etc.  And there's nothing he could really do about any of these things....

I think he's responsible for some of it. He could have handled a lot of this differently.

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore
I was of the opinion that it's not the teams job to monitor the wives, but I stand corrected. Over the last 12 hours I've talked several friends who have played in the NHL, and they all concur on every team they belonged the team made efforts to be aware of issues with the players, and as I mentioned in my other post that includes kids, wives/girlfriends and parents.

The former players were all clear that there are almost always issues with personalities, not unlike issues between the players, but that the team had the issues dealt with. There is a hierarchy in the wives as well, a captain if you will that brings the wives together for events, and is the person they can go to when there are issues....

These former players made it clear that it is the teams responsibility to stick their nose in to make sure that issues between the players or their extended family are dealt with. They all agreed if the team didn't know it's because they either didn't care or didn't put in the effort to care but that falls on the GM and Owner.

They also made it clear that there is 0 chance that the the players and in turn the coaches/trainers were not aware of a conflict (whether they knew about the bullying is another thing) between the wives, and even if it was just as simple as a personality issue that it should have been dealt with. Keep in mind the Coaches wives are in the family room as well as the Gm's wife often. THey would be around the other wives as well.

They are a family, and really when you think about it, if your brother/sister had a significant other that was causing issues with someone else in the family you'd have it dealt with. Maybe not directly, but by mom and dad, or other members of the family would help intervene. Yes it can tear a family apart, but unlike blood, the solution has been and is to remove the problem by trading them.

So I was wrong saying the GM isn't responsible for knowing about this stuff. He should have, at least if they put the infrastructure in place to ensure that everyone was getting along and if not, deal with it before it grows to this point. Did they know back in November that it was as bad as it was no, but all the guys I talked to said that it would have been apparent back in November that there were issues however small by comparison they were.

I'll agree this thing needs a complete gutting.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I guess I'm old school, because I would sit down with players every couple of months and make sure things are going well. And I would have found this one out, I guarantee it.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
This all depends on when they found out about this. The org should be embarrassed if they knew before the deadline. If it was after then their hands could have been a bit more tied in moving Hoffman.

On a positive note, Ottawa Special Events tweeted something about a new Sens ownership change a few minutes ago. The tweet was liked by Alex Burrows (haha) and has since been deleted. Fingers crossed someone can come in and clean all of this up and bring respectability back to this organization.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Diddle, if there was ever a time to release the news of a sale of the team, DO IT NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Oh yes, please do!

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Just remember, the Hoffman-Karlsson issue is between their wives not them. I don't think this will hurt Hoffman's trade value if his agent advises him to say the right thing.

1. Not privy to all this information and information is currently unfounded
2. Will participate and cooperate with investigation
3. Fiance will get the help and support she requires, if required
4. She will not be using social media anymore
5. This will not impact my on-ice performance. I am committed to my career, winning, and being part of a good NHL culture

Hoffman's gets traded, the Order of Peace (or whatever it's called) gets issued, that's a wrap. Next team they go to will keep a very close eye on her.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Just remember, the Hoffman-Karlsson issue is between their wives not them. I don't think this will hurt Hoffman's trade value if his agent advises him to say the right thing.

There's no way that this hasn't and won't continue to affect the relationship between Karlsson and Hoffman. There is a 0% chance that they are on the same team to start next season. None.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Apparently this all started back in November (when the team was still in the hunt for 1st in the Atlantic) but the line was crossed (based on what Julie said) in April. Too late for deadline.

I bet something happened on the trip to Sweden. Did the wives travel with the team or stay back?

I'd like to review Hoffman's goals before and after and see if there's any change in how Karlsson congratulated him.

It's very odd, though, that it's only two ex Senators wives that have come out to say anything. I suspect they have been instructed by the team to keep mum.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Apparently this all started back in November (when the team was still in the hunt for 1st in the Atlantic) but the line was crossed (based on what Julie said) in April. Too late for deadline.

I bet something happened on the trip to Sweden. Did the wives travel with the team or stay back?

I'd like to review Hoffman's goals before and after and see if there's any change in how Karlsson congratulated him.

It's very odd, though, that it's only two ex Senators wives that have come out to say anything. I suspect they have been instructed by the team to keep mum.

It wouldn't really make anything better by having more current wives condemn Hoffman's girlfriend. Jason Labarbera's wife also tweeted negatively about Hoffman's girlfriend...so weird.

Anyway, the relationship between Karlsson and Hoffman is gone, and they won't be on the same team come next season.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yeah, she must have been known as a Class A Wing Dang Doodle. And Hoffman will never play here again, obviously.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I'm surprised there hasn't been a trade yet. Given all of this I sort of assumed that he'd be gone today. I'm sure the majority of NHL execs already knew about this so if there was a market for Hoffman I am sure it hasn't changed. Maybe they are waiting for the draft - I don't know - but I'd be surprised to see the NHL wait until then at this point.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been a trade yet. Given all of this I sort of assumed that he'd be gone today. I'm sure the majority of NHL execs already knew about this so if there was a market for Hoffman I am sure it hasn't changed. Maybe they are waiting for the draft - I don't know - but I'd be surprised to see the NHL wait until then at this point.

I think they knew about it and were offering very little and I don't think this changes anything. Who would want to acquire this guy anyway? At least until this has been looked into and his part in it either cleared or confirmed. He's owed 25 million or whatever, this is a HARD trade.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
PTFlea wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been a trade yet. Given all of this I sort of assumed that he'd be gone today. I'm sure the majority of NHL execs already knew about this so if there was a market for Hoffman I am sure it hasn't changed. Maybe they are waiting for the draft - I don't know - but I'd be surprised to see the NHL wait until then at this point.

I think they knew about it and were offering very little and I don't think this changes anything.  Who would want to acquire this guy anyway?  At least until this has been looked into and his part in it either cleared or confirmed.  He's owed 25 million or whatever, this is a HARD trade.

He's owed closer to $10M over the next two seasons. This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with his fiancé. This doesn't change the fact that he's a potential 30+ goal, 60+ point scorer with a lethal shot. I wouldn't even consider this much of a distraction to whatever team acquires him. His girlfriend, whether proven innocent or guilty, will be told by his agent to stay off of social media. This is Hoffman's career and livelihood. If she can't respect staying off of social media and getting help then Hoffman shouldn't be with her. It's as simple as that. Maybe she needs to be institutionalized? Maybe she's suffering from mental health issues? We don't know all of the details. I can't help but feel that Hoffman's trade value should not be impacted by this. Hoffman managed to still play with Karlsson and perform at the end of the season. I think his value will remain unchanged. It will suck to have an on-going NHL investigation around the team but there is no reason to think this investigation cannot be resolved over the course of the summer.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
I actually feel bad for Hoffman. I once dated a girl tha, let’s just says, had some mental health issues that made her bring toxicity in and around her. She thrives on talking, bringing up and getting negativity out. This kind of behaviour is very often part of borderline disorder. Now I’m not gonna advance that this is the case but there is treatment and therapy for this type of behaviour. In my case after dealing with it for years I put an end to the relationship and was much better off for it.

If the poor guy loves her then I feel really bad for him since it’s a toxic environment to be dragged in.

We’ll see what happens but as it’s been mentioned, he’s probably played his last game here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum