Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49049
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by wprager on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Holy Diddle he *is* Notch, isn't he.

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2193
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:It would be so typical if Raddysh was asked for instead of Foote by Ottawa. Yzerman is a genius.

Yzerman:”Ok, we’re so close on a deal, if you really need one more prospect I can give you Foote, but there is no way we will part with Raddysh”
    Dorion: “We want Raddysh”
    Yzerman: “Ok, fax over the offer, we’ll sign it”

The Yzerman is a genius meme needs to die. He’s a good manager but hasn’t got his team over the top just yet, and gives out NTCs like candy

In that case I’m just wondering what Dorion has done for your constant praise? Tell me you’d rather have Dorion GMing a Karlsson trade over Yzerman...please, say it.

What a ridiculous comparison. Dorion is in this situation because of Melnyk, Caryk, Lee and Canadia taxes and weather.

It's not all Stevie Y.  Couple years ago he was this close to blowing the Drouin trade into the kid was finally put into the lineup and played lights out in the playoffs. The Habs got excited at the prospect of a francophone superstar not even in his prime yet. They overpaid huge. Yzerman was very lucky, IMO.

Haha. What comparison? Nice reach. The comparison that Yzerman is a much better and actual GM over Dorion, yeah. If you want to call that a comparison, go ahead. It sure isn’t a fair one though. Keep trying or stop.
    Why is it so hard for you to understand that any GM would be successful in Tampa with the current situation and Sam Pollack would be hard pressed to do any better than Dorion in Ottawa right now.

Crazy owner
    Small budget
    No support staff, not even an AGM at the moment
    Highest taxes w/Toronto in the entire league

Come on you are either blind or irrational.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14115
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am

wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:It would be so typical if Raddysh was asked for instead of Foote by Ottawa. Yzerman is a genius.

Yzerman:”Ok, we’re so close on a deal, if you really need one more prospect I can give you Foote, but there is no way we will part with Raddysh”

The Yzerman is a genius meme needs to die. He’s a good manager but hasn’t got his team over the top just yet, and gives out NTCs like candy

In that case I’m just wondering what Dorion has done for your constant praise? Tell me you’d rather have Dorion GMing a Karlsson trade over Yzerman...please, say it.

What a ridiculous comparison. Dorion is in this situation because of Melnyk, Caryk, Lee and Canadia taxes and weather.

It's not all Stevie Y.  Couple years ago he was this close to blowing the Drouin trade into the kid was finally put into the lineup and played lights out in the playoffs. The Habs got excited at the prospect of a francophone superstar not even in his prime yet. They overpaid huge. Yzerman was very lucky, IMO.

You feel a sergachev trade for Drouin was an overpayment?
    I think Drouin is much better than he’s shown in Mtl, he’s just not utilized correctly. I knew it was a mistake to try and make him a C. Plus they’ have a crap team with a few good players. He’d be much better elsewhere.

Speaking of Mtl, how about that Pacioretty situation? They sure are making a mess of it. What is it with our eastern Canada team when Toronto is the only team that looks right. World upside down.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 am

Oglethorpe wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Haha. What comparison? Nice reach. The comparison that Yzerman is a much better and actual GM over Dorion, yeah. If you want to call that a comparison, go ahead. It sure isn’t a fair one though. Keep trying or stop.
    Why is it so hard for you to understand that any GM would be successful in Tampa with the current situation and Sam Pollack would be hard pressed to do any better than Dorion in Ottawa right now.  

Crazy owner
    Small budget

I admit that the situation in Ottawa is ridiculously hard to work within but I’m not sure Dorion is doing himself right. He’s being a yes man. The right GM in Ottawa needs to know how to work Melnyk like BM did or needs a backbone to stand up to him. His legacy will be terrible if he can’t do any of those things.
    Even if everyone knows Melnyk is Dung on his on plate.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 am

Ev wrote:
    22_4_ever wrote:So I've been quiet since I caused a lot of trouble for my close friend last week.  Here is the story, choose to believe it or not.

1.  last week Melnyks new GF (a local woman) made it known at a party that EK had talked and agreed in principle with TB to sign an extension.
    2.  Ottawa and TB work on a deal...here is where things go sideways.

Eventually around 9pm on Thursday night TB and Ott agreed to a deal...Originally I was told the deal was Sergechev and Foote Plus (don't know what the plus was).  In order to make the deal work TB had to clear cap for next year...they have enough cap in the 2019-2020 season for the extension but not next year for the current contract.  In order to make room TB had to work out another deal to trade an existing roster player, and they engaged with the NYR to make that deal.

This is where I should have waited, but my close friend who works in the NHL head office told me the deal was done pending the trade call.  I assumed it would happen right away, but I was unaware that TB needed to work out a deal with NYR first.  I went on to state the deal was done, as did a couple of other people (who did so on twitter).  

The trade call never happened, and I'm told by the time TB managed to work out a deal with NYR to clear the room, when they went back to Ottawa they got cold feet and decided to change the deal.  Ottawa decided they wanted more and wanted Radysh instead of Foote.

I was confused when I was told the deal was Serg and Foote, and then a couple of hours later it was Serg and Raddysh.  When I saw the tweets from other sources I assumed the picks were correct.  My friend has since relayed to me that the original deal he received from someone in TB whereas the second package 2 hours later was from a Sens source.  He says it's obvious Ottawa changed their minds before TB could get back to them.

TB was not happy and I'm told that right now Dorion is the one with cold feet and that TB might be willing to tell them to go to hell, as they know EK will be willing to sign next year.....why not get him for nothing next July 1st.

Anyway, that's what happened, and whether you believe it or not I wanted to clear the air on why I posted it was confirmed and why it hasn't happened.

This sounds believable. Personally I never doubted that you had solid connections. No reason to just make things up otherwise.

Personally I think if Karlsson makes it to camp without being traded, he'll be here beyond next season.

The only remote chance this happens is if we have another ownership in place that makes all kinds of assurances. Otherwise you’re being delusional.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17024
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 am

There's a 0.0000001% chance Karlsson is here to start the season, but I appreciate the wishful thinking.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21415
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    22_4_ever wrote:So I've been quiet since I caused a lot of trouble for my close friend last week.  Here is the story, choose to believe it or not.

1.  last week Melnyks new GF (a local woman) made it known at a party that EK had talked and agreed in principle with TB to sign an extension.
    2.  Ottawa and TB work on a deal...here is where things go sideways.

Eventually around 9pm on Thursday night TB and Ott agreed to a deal...Originally I was told the deal was Sergechev and Foote Plus (don't know what the plus was).  In order to make the deal work TB had to clear cap for next year...they have enough cap in the 2019-2020 season for the extension but not next year for the current contract.  In order to make room TB had to work out another deal to trade an existing roster player, and they engaged with the NYR to make that deal.

This is where I should have waited, but my close friend who works in the NHL head office told me the deal was done pending the trade call.  I assumed it would happen right away, but I was unaware that TB needed to work out a deal with NYR first.  I went on to state the deal was done, as did a couple of other people (who did so on twitter).  

The trade call never happened, and I'm told by the time TB managed to work out a deal with NYR to clear the room, when they went back to Ottawa they got cold feet and decided to change the deal.  Ottawa decided they wanted more and wanted Radysh instead of Foote.

I was confused when I was told the deal was Serg and Foote, and then a couple of hours later it was Serg and Raddysh.  When I saw the tweets from other sources I assumed the picks were correct.  My friend has since relayed to me that the original deal he received from someone in TB whereas the second package 2 hours later was from a Sens source.  He says it's obvious Ottawa changed their minds before TB could get back to them.

TB was not happy and I'm told that right now Dorion is the one with cold feet and that TB might be willing to tell them to go to hell, as they know EK will be willing to sign next year.....why not get him for nothing next July 1st.

Anyway, that's what happened, and whether you believe it or not I wanted to clear the air on why I posted it was confirmed and why it hasn't happened.

This sounds believable. Personally I never doubted that you had solid connections. No reason to just make things up otherwise.

Personally I think if Karlsson makes it to camp without being traded, he'll be here beyond next season.

The only remote chance this happens is if we have another ownership in place that makes all kinds of assurances. Otherwise you’re being delusional.

I am confident there will be a new owner before July 1, 2019
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:24 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Crazy owner
    Small budget

I admit that the situation in Ottawa is ridiculously hard to work within but I’m not sure Dorion is doing himself right. He’s being a yes man. The right GM in Ottawa needs to know how to work Melnyk like BM did or needs a backbone to stand up to him. His legacy will be terrible if he can’t do any of those things.
    Even if everyone knows Melnyk is Dung on his on plate.

I think anyone one of us would accept being a GM for 3 years guaranteed even if it meant the owner meddles in a few things. I would gladly be a yes man.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 761
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

Post by Lagoon on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 am

I smile everyday that Karlsson is still a Sen. Many more coming too.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2556
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am

I think after poor attendance this year we will see Melnyk sell
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 am

I randomly thought about MacArthur this morning. Maybe there's a chance he comes back.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am

Ev wrote:I randomly thought about MacArthur this morning. Maybe there's a chance he comes back.
    More wishful thinking
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:I randomly thought about MacArthur this morning. Maybe there's a chance he comes back.
    More wishful thinking

Maybe he comes back and tries. It would benefit him.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17024
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm

As much fun as pointlessly debating how much longer Karlsson will be a Senator (won't make it to training camp) and if MacArthur will come back (he won't), here's an article about Yzerman adding another big contract in Tampa:

https://www.tsn.ca/yzerman-not-impossible-to-add-a-big-contract-1.1136313

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 pm

tim1_2 wrote:As much fun as pointlessly debating how much longer Karlsson will be a Senator (won't make it to training camp) and if MacArthur will come back (he won't), here's an article about Yzerman adding another big contract in Tampa:

https://www.tsn.ca/yzerman-not-impossible-to-add-a-big-contract-1.1136313

He was pressed by reporters. And yeah, I’m sure he’d be able to fit kalrsson in. Just depends on price again.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49049
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:

I think Drouin is much better than he’s shown in Mtl, he’s just not utilized correctly. I knew it was a mistake to try and make him a C. Plus they’ have a crap team with a few good players. He’d be much better elsewhere.

Speaking of Mtl, how about that Pacioretty situation? They sure are making a mess of it. What is it with our eastern Canada team when Toronto is the only team that looks right. World upside down.

Sorry, not overpayment (except in hindsight, perhaps) but they treated away a high prospect plain a position in need and got a good winger to join a decent roster of wingers.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 pm

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Sorry, not overpayment (except in hindsight, perhaps) but they treated away a high prospect plain a position in need and got a good winger to join a decent roster of wingers.
    Yes that part was very questionable. Especially that they thought they could make him a centre
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 55160
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Hindsight on that one though. Drouin has the tools.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:04 pm