Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13649
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:57 am

Anyone thinking we should have picked up Petersson instead of Tkcachuk?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 55270
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Anyone thinking we should have picked up Petersson instead of Tkcachuk?

After 2 games? Who knows. Tkatchuk is going to help this team in front of the net and on the forecheck while having high levels of skill, I think they knew what they were doing.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49355
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Yes based on the 2 games he played and the 2 Tkachuk missed we should have drafted the undersized Swede.

Seriously, Cap, is the snow getting to you? It was Tkachuk or Zadina; Peterson was not in the conversation.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21545
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Anyone thinking we should have picked up Petersson instead of Tkcachuk?

They were in two different drafts lol
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14356
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:59 pm

um... they didn't go in the same draft. Petersson was last year's draft and he went 5th overall.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Hey Clutch, you just pulled a *me*!

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2207
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:53 am

Jaros and Paul called up with Formenton, Dzingle and Ceci out. Hopefully Jaros replaces Ceci or at least Boucher goes 7 D.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2739
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am

Still a forward short. I imagine they go 7D and 11F with Paul getting virtually no playing time and White being used sparingly unless he's replacing Dzingel in the top-six (White-Smith-Stone combo).

Logan Brown injured in Belleville apparently. Not sure what the extent of the injury is.

Good opportunity for Jaros to show that he's worthy of playing in the NHL. May lead to an eventual Ceci trade (hopefully) if he can show he's better defensively.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Does anyone else think Ottawa won the Hoffman and Karlsson trades? I know it's early and things will 100% change but I've actually liked Boedker's game thus far. Despite him not scoring a goal yet, he's come close and he's able to play well in all three zones.

Karlsson has looked completely out of place in San Jose and I really can't picture him re-signing there. Meanwhile Tierney and De Melo have been good, Norris is still projected to be a good prospect, we have some picks, and Balcers also projects to be a good player.

Add a d-man or two to a young core of Lajoie, Chabot, Wolanin, get Stone and Duchene signed and scoring, and all of a sudden the Sens are looking pretty good.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14356
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:21 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Does anyone else think Ottawa won the Hoffman and Karlsson trades? I know it's early and things will 100% change but I've actually liked Boedker's game thus far. Despite him not scoring a goal yet, he's come close and he's able to play well in all three zones.

Karlsson has looked completely out of place in San Jose and I really can't picture him re-signing there. Meanwhile Tierney and De Melo have been good, Norris is still projected to be a good prospect, we have some picks, and Balcers also projects to be a good player.

Add a d-man or two to a young core of Lajoie, Chabot, Wolanin, get Stone and Duchene signed and scoring, and all of a sudden the Sens are looking pretty good.

Nope!

To be fair. We’re not 5 games into the season.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:40 pm

You can't win either trade, you can only hope to survive it and, perhaps, get a little "addition by subtraction" to offset the losses.

On the other hand, looking at $$ in versus $$ out Melnyk won both trades.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 pm

I have to admit, DeMelo has been a very pleasant surprise; a near perfect complement to Chabot. He knows he's not there to rack up the points but to keep the house clean while Hotsam is being Hotsam.

And Lajoie has been a huge over-achiever; not sure how long this will last but enjoy it while it does.

Tierney has had an excellent start but I seriously doubt he will continue to be the top-scoring center on this team for much longer. Duchene and Stone have been quiet but that's not going to go on for very long.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Boucher has already said that Harpur will get his first start, but it's still not clear if Jaros will play (if he does, they go with 7D/11F and Paul or Carey sit).

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2207
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:16 pm

wprager wrote:I have to admit, DeMelo has been a very pleasant surprise; a near perfect complement to Chabot.  He knows he's not there to rack up the points but to keep the house clean while Hotsam is being Hotsam.

And Lajoie has been a huge over-achiever; not sure how long this will last but enjoy it while it does.

Tierney has had an excellent start but I seriously doubt he will continue to be the top-scoring center on this team for much longer.  Duchene and Stone have been quiet but that's not going to go on for very long.
    I disagree on Tierney. 40 points last year paying 3rd and 4th line minutes with 14:58 TOI. I would say 55 points wouldn’t be a huge shock to me.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:17 pm

wprager wrote:I have to admit, DeMelo has been a very pleasant surprise; a near perfect complement to Chabot.  He knows he's not there to rack up the points but to keep the house clean while Hotsam is being Hotsam.

Tierney has had an excellent start but I seriously doubt he will continue to be the top-scoring center on this team for much longer.  Duchene and Stone have been quiet but that's not going to go on for very long.

Things reach equilibrium where over-achievers and under-achievers normalize to where they should be. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Boedker to be within +/- 10 points from Hoffman by the end of the year. Hoffman isn't the go-to in Florida and Boedker is playing top line minutes. It is very possible Boedker outscores him while bringing a better defensive game at a cheaper cost.

As for Karlsson, he may very well score in the 60-70 point range again. Add maybe 40 for Tierney, 15 for De Melo, and all the picks and prospects for one year of Karlsson? It's a win. If anyone thinks the Sens would be doing any better with Karlsson right now they'd be wrong and paying him the type of money he wants for the game he brings just simply isn't worth it. I'd much rather Duchene or Stone long-term over Karlsson. And if he does sign in Tampa he'll take a discount which is not something he was willing to do here so that's a moot point.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:

I disagree on Tierney.  40 points last year paying 3rd and 4th line minutes with 14:58 TOI.  I would say 55 points wouldn’t be a huge shock to me.  

He's much better than I thought he'd be. I am really not concerned about the Sens scoring goals. They will continue to struggle defensively. If Brown continues to be an injury risk I can definitely see him being shopped for some help. Or they hold on to what they have and at the deadline move Wideman and Ceci. At that point they can probably use Harpur, Wolanin and Jaros to close out the season
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I said he is not going to continue being the highest scoring center on the team. Not sure what you disagree with.

Hoffman was not very good defensively but he was still a game-breaker, which Boedker is not. Hoffman got people in the seats (and out of them); no-one pays money to watch a defensively responsible forward. Also it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Dorion took less to move him out West, and he lost big when Wilson moved him right back to the Atlantic.

As for Karlsson, of course it's a given that he wasn't going to sign here, so if you take that into account it's a win. But if you are trading a once-in-a-generation type player under 30 you are not winning anything.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17175
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

Nick Paul and Jaros returned to Belleville today. The Sens somehow don't play again until Saturday.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm