You are not connected. Please login or register

» Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 39 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Our lineup going into next season:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
MPS-Smith-Gaborik
McCormick-White-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

This is a horrible team. Melnyk and Dorion should be ashamed of themselves.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Our lineup going into next season:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
MPS-Smith-Gaborik
McCormick-White-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

There was a quote from Boucher during the dev camp that there will likely be a “young player” on each line next season. I have no idea what qualifies a player as “young” in this scenario, but if the one rookie we have in the lineup is White, as is the case in these lines, then I’m not really sure what to think.

In my opinion, looking at the forwards, we have two legit top 6 guys in Stone and Duchene, with Dzingel being on the fringe, although certainly deserving a spot in our top 6. And then we have two legit top 4 D in Chabot and Karlsson.

I think it’s tough to just look at our roster today and make lines out of it. I have little doubt that we’ll see a couple prospects start the year with the team (Formenton or Brown or Chlapik or whoever) and hopefully get some meaningful icetime.

Really, what point is there in trotting out a guy like Gaborik if it’s at the expense of playing time for a younger player. But then it comes back to we have to pay Gaborik anyway, so we might as well use him to plug a hole….

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I don’t doubt Dorion has a plan. But the problem is his plan was win now up until a little while ago and now we have to live with that failed plan while the new plan gets put into motion. The new plan is obviously rebuild and they’ve taken steps in that direction but without our 1st next year and the team we will likely have we likely won’t have what would be extremely useful which is IMO a top 5 pick.
Sadly if we do rebuild we should be trading more players. But Dorion hasn’t proven to us he can even orchestrate good trades. I’m scarred on the returns. If stone takes a one year, we’ll be at the mercy of where he’s willing to resign. Same for duchene. This is sloppy asset management. There’s no way we should have been walking into a summer with so many important players with one year remaining on their contract.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:I don’t doubt Dorion has a plan. But the problem is his plan was win now up until a little while ago and now we have to live with that failed plan while the new plan gets put into motion. The new plan is obviously rebuild and they’ve taken steps in that direction but without our 1st next year and the team we will likely have we likely won’t have what would be extremely useful which is IMO a top 5 pick.
Sadly if we do rebuild we should be trading more players. But Dorion hasn’t proven to us he can even orchestrate good trades. I’m scarred on the returns. If stone takes a one year, we’ll be at the mercy of where he’s willing to resign. Same for duchene. This is sloppy asset management. There’s no way we should have been walking into a summer with so many important players with one year remaining on their contract.

But we still have a couple months of off-season. So don't panic about this stuff yet...lots of players sign deals in the days leading up to arbitration, and Stone could very well do the same. For Duchene, there's also time to work out a new contract. Again, the holdup might be Karlsson. Maybe there's faint hope to resign him which could then affect the deals offered to Stone or Duchene. Maybe Stone and Duchene are waiting to see what happens with EK before committing to new contracts. It can't be all pinned on Dorion right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Our lineup going into next season:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
MPS-Smith-Gaborik
McCormick-White-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

There was a quote from Boucher during the dev camp that there will likely be a “young player” on each line next season.  I have no idea what qualifies a player as “young” in this scenario, but if the one rookie we have in the lineup is White, as is the case in these lines, then I’m not really sure what to think.

In my opinion, looking at the forwards, we have two legit top 6 guys in Stone and Duchene, with Dzingel being on the fringe, although certainly deserving a spot in our top 6.  And then we have two legit top 4 D in Chabot and Karlsson.  

I think it’s tough to just look at our roster today and make lines out of it.  I have little doubt that we’ll see a couple prospects start the year with the team (Formenton or Brown or Chlapik or whoever) and hopefully get some meaningful icetime.  

Really, what point is there in trotting out a guy like Gaborik if it’s at the expense of playing time for a younger player.  But then it comes back to we have to pay Gaborik anyway, so we might as well use him to plug a hole….

These are all guys on one-way contracts (White is the exception) so how does Boucher possibly think he's going to have a 'young guy' on every line? Does he mean he's not going to convince Dorion to pick up guys like DiDo and Dumont? I still expect Gaborik and Smith to be gone so maybe that opens up positions but as it stands they're still on the roster.

As for defense, Wolanin is going to end up getting buried behind Harpur and Boro on the left-side which is also a shame.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Here's the article with the Boucher quote:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/sens-boucher-still-accentuating-the-positives

“I’m looking forward to, if we can, have a young guy on every line. It depends on how they do, but I would love to have the greatest number of young guys make our team.”

Seems like a total 180 on how he's used the young guys previously, so I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in that quote.

Just let things play out for another couple months and then we can rip management apart again for how the roster is put together....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
They need to have White centering Brown and Tkachuk. When they got the ice the dj will play We're the Kids in America.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
There's another buyout window when they see their arbitration case. One for each case, I think. Gabo should be gone in one of them.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I feel like if Gaborik were going to be bought out it would have happened already. I'm not sure if it's ever been confirmed that Gaborik is healthy following his off-season back surgery either, so that would make a buyout impossible.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I'd be more inclined to move Gaborik's contract than Ryan's if someone is going to be included in a Karlsson trade.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'd be more inclined to move Gaborik's contract than Ryan's if someone is going to be included in a Karlsson trade.

That's an interesting idea and I wonder why that hasn't been discussed more as an alternative to including Bobby's contract.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Probably because our GM isn't good at his job.

But if Gaborik is on LTIR (unlike Bobby) insurance picks up a large portion of his salary making him significantly cheaper to keep on the books.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Probably because our GM isn't good at his job.

But if Gaborik is on LTIR (unlike Bobby) insurance picks up a large portion of his salary making him significantly cheaper to keep on the books.

You're assuming our GM hasn't investigated this possibility, which is likely false. With Melynk ruling over things, you can bet your Donkey Dorion is investigating every method of getting Gaborik off the payroll.

And yeah, LTIR would work, but I imagine Gaborik will want to keep playing hockey and will not go along with that option.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Depends if he thinks he can make more money in the KHL, which he probably would and could.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Depends if he thinks he can make more money in the KHL, which he probably would and could.

I don't think you can have a player on LTIR that is then playing in a different league..?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
He also makes all of his salary while on LTIR. I don't think he would fight this like Lupul did.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
They brought Gaborik here to save on Phaneuf salary. Buying him out would save even more. Having him on LTIR with insurance covering 80% would be even better.

I don't see how or why they would play him unless he really improves after his surgery (like Alfie did, if you recall). If he can share like he did 3 years ago there might be some takers. They could move him by reading salary and save as much as they would with a buyout, while getting a pick in return.

But LTIR is the best case scenario.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Then again, he scored 4 goals and 7 points in 16 games. That's 20/35 over a full season. If the surgery helps him skate even a little better 25 goals isn't out of the question, and with better linemates the assist total should be better as well.

Guess we'll have to see how he skates at camp.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 39 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum