GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:I said it before, and I'll restate it here...A rebuild is totally fine.  We have good prospects to build around, even without our 1st rounder in 2019.  But then why are we taking back a guy like Boedker when we trade Hoffman....sigh.  

Regardless, what DefenceWinsChampionships has stated as reasons for optimism are all good.  There are things to look forward to.  I am NOT looking forward to the weirdness involved with Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson all being FAs a year from now.  

They won't be going to FA with the Sens. I guarantee it.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:My guess is one of two things happens:

1) Melnyk sells. Karlsson is extended. Stone is extended. Duchene is extended. Ryan is bought out.
2) Melnyk does not sell. Karlsson is traded (for cents on the dollar). Stone is traded at deadline. Duchene is traded at the deadline. Full blown rebuild.

Full blown rebuild will never happen. Even if Melnyk doesn't sell.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
It's already happening. Stone's interview today sounded pretty bad. Haven't heard a thing about Duchene all summer. Karl will be traded for futures. Andy wants out. That's it. That's all of our vets except for Ryan and LTIR Gaborik.

I'm okay with a full rebuild. I am okay losing Stone, Duchene and Karlsson if we get good returns. What hurts is losing our 1st this year. No matter what any of those guys are moved for we're not getting a top-five pick in the draft. They will all be mid-to-late 1st rd picks or prospects.

I think the Sens will be exciting this year. Everyone has something to play for. New players want to stick, key guys are playing for lucrative contracts. The Sens won't be horrendous. People will go to games if the Sens do well. I'm more worried about the season after to be honest. We may push for a playoff spot this year. We just have to risk losing our best players for nothing, and tanking is a non option.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It's already happening. Stone's interview today sounded pretty bad. Haven't heard a thing about Duchene all summer. Karl will be traded for futures. Andy wants out. That's it. That's all of our vets except for Ryan and LTIR Gaborik.

I'm okay with a full rebuild. I am okay losing Stone, Duchene and Karlsson if we get good returns. What hurts is losing our 1st this year. No matter what any of those guys are moved for we're not getting a top-five pick in the draft. They will all be mid-to-late 1st rd picks or prospects.

I think the Sens will be exciting this year. Everyone has something to play for. New players want to stick, key guys are playing for lucrative contracts. The Sens won't be horrendous. People will go to games if the Sens do well. I'm more worried about the season after to be honest. We may push for a playoff spot this year. We just have to risk losing our best players for nothing, and tanking is a non option.

No, it really isn't happening at all. Until any of those core pieces are moved, there is no full rebuild taking place. I am with Lagoon - I don't see Karlsson being traded at all now. Anderson is also still a member of the team and nobody legit ever confirmed he wants out.

This is once again all media talk and no action. Nobody important has been traded/moved on from this off-season.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I agree that at this point karlsson not being moved is a little puzzling. It’s either highly incompetent management or something is up. It could also be that karlsson has destroyed any chances of being traded except for Tampa. Good luck to dorion after that getting a good return. 

I sincerely wish it was new ownership waiting to step in and the players know about it but let’s be honest, wouldn’t we have heard of an important leak by now? There’s been smoke but nothing is remotely close to eminent

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:I agree that at this point karlsson not being moved is a little puzzling. It’s either highly incompetent management or something is up. It could also be that karlsson has destroyed any chances of being traded except for Tampa. Good luck to dorion after that getting a good return. 

I sincerely wish it was new ownership waiting to step in and the players know about it but let’s be honest, wouldn’t we have heard of an important leak by now? There’s been smoke but nothing is remotely close to eminent

In my opinion if nothing was happening we would hear reports from garrioch denying stuff etc . He’s silent as well as all media now . Silence is telling.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Have it on good authority that both Stone and Karlsson are waiting to see what happens with ownership. No new ownership = both of them leaving. Duchene too, but the guy didn't specifically say him, just Stone and Karl.

I know the guy it's coming from and he knows Pageau well enough to be at a wedding party last week and that's the word.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:Have it on good authority that both Stone and Karlsson are waiting to see what happens with ownership.  No new ownership = both of them leaving.  Duchene too, but the guy didn't specifically say him, just Stone and Karl.

I know the guy it's coming from and he knows Pageau well enough to be at a wedding party last week and that's the word.

I have no doubt that this is the case. I mean, for sure kalrsson would like to be a legacy player but it’s obvious that under Melnyk this isn’t the climate where you can create a winning team. This all makes sense.

What’s left in all this is is there a chance Melnyk actually moves ahead with a sale before let’s say January?
Pressure is somewhat more on the fans and players than on Melnyk. If he has the money to still operate this team that is.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I agree that at this point karlsson not being moved is a little puzzling. It’s either highly incompetent management or something is up. It could also be that karlsson has destroyed any chances of being traded except for Tampa. Good luck to dorion after that getting a good return. 

In my opinion if nothing was happening we would hear reports from garrioch denying stuff etc . He’s silent as well as all media now . Silence is telling.

Or silence could mean that things have come to a standstill.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Have it on good authority that both Stone and Karlsson are waiting to see what happens with ownership.  No new ownership = both of them leaving.  Duchene too, but the guy didn't specifically say him, just Stone and Karl.

I have no doubt that this is the case. I mean, for sure kalrsson would like to be a legacy player but it’s obvious that under Melnyk this isn’t the climate where you can create a winning team. This all makes sense.

What’s left in all this is is there a chance Melnyk actually moves ahead with a sale before let’s say January?
Pressure is somewhat more on the fans and players than on Melnyk. If he has the money to still operate this team that is.

Yes, apparently greater than 50/50 at this point. Lots of rumbling but nothing substantial yet. This season may not be worth watching at all... Puking2

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yes, apparently greater than 50/50 at this point.  Lots of rumbling but nothing substantial yet.  This season may not be worth watching at all... Puking2

Regardless if he sells or not, Duchene stone and karlsson are highly motivated to have their best seasons ever . That will make the season worth watching on its own

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
True.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yes, apparently greater than 50/50 at this point.  Lots of rumbling but nothing substantial yet.  This season may not be worth watching at all... Puking2

Regardless if he sells or not, Duchene stone and karlsson are highly motivated to have their best seasons ever . That will make the season worth watching on its own
thats a very good point. And I don’t doubt that they will. I’m actually very interested in having lots of youth up here. I really don’t like what are D could look like(especially if we deal kalrsson) and that combined to if Anderson stinks it up could mark how we could finish bottom 5 but having some young forwards added to the mix could make for exciting hockey. Which is why I’m looking into getting Center ice/NHL tv or whatever they’ll call it now.
There could be exciting hockey. I’m just very unsure of the direction this team will be heading into the future. I would love to retain all three players.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cody Ceci's interview from TSN 1200 yesterday was funny. He said that he was waiting all summer for an offer that never came...and then arbitration was worse than he thought it would be and it left him sour.

I 100% don't blame Stone or Duchene for waiting things out here. Now we are just left hoping that Euge sells the team sooner rather than later, but you would think if it was going to happen that this summer would be the time to do it, and summer is running out....

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:Cody Ceci's interview from TSN 1200 yesterday was funny.  He said that he was waiting all summer for an offer that never came...and then arbitration was worse than he thought it would be and it left him sour.  

I 100% don't blame Stone or Duchene for waiting things out here.  Now we are just left hoping that Euge sells the team sooner rather than later, but you would think if it was going to happen that this summer would be the time to do it, and summer is running out....
When will players learn to not attend the arb hearings.

As for possible sale, the Lebreton deal adds a level of complexity to any deal. Buying a franchise takes a ton of due diligence without a massive real estate project tied to it. Does Melnyk want to maintain a share of the project and fund it with proceeds of selling the team ? Who knows but it is a complex transaction in any case.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
I haven’t been around much lately but keep an eye on a Ruddy, Greenberg and Fenway Sports trifecta of billions.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:I haven’t been around much lately but keep an eye on a Ruddy, Greenberg and Fenway Sports trifecta of billions.

Interesting one liner, but I take none of these rumours seriously after having been burned by them for the past year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Not sure what to think of Ceci's comments. When he asked for $6M his credibility went out the window. I don't think it was the case of no offer but, rather, no offer he felt (unrealistically) was high enough.

Once the ask/offer was put there he still had a couple days to negotiate before the hearing. I thought that half way (around $4.6M) was still too high, even though it was likely. In the end he got $300K *less* than the mood point, but in pretty sure he could have gotten that without going through the hearing.

So at best he could have hoped for an extra $300K and it cost him to find out. And if he really thought he had legitimate chance at $6M he needs to change his agent, and what he heard at the hearing is probably something he needs to hear

He has not been very good. Even accounting for the fact that he was not deployed correctly (as a shut down guy). He has to be either good defensively or contribute more offensively.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum