Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 794
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by Lagoon on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:16 am

I haven’t been around much lately but keep an eye on a Ruddy, Greenberg and Fenway Sports trifecta of billions.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17080
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 am

Lagoon wrote:I haven’t been around much lately but keep an eye on a Ruddy, Greenberg and Fenway Sports trifecta of billions.

Interesting one liner, but I take none of these rumours seriously after having been burned by them for the past year.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49136
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:45 am

Not sure what to think of Ceci's comments. When he asked for $6M his credibility went out the window. I don't think it was the case of no offer but, rather, no offer he felt (unrealistically) was high enough.

Once the ask/offer was put there he still had a couple days to negotiate before the hearing. I thought that half way (around $4.6M) was still too high, even though it was likely. In the end he got $300K *less* than the mood point, but in pretty sure he could have gotten that without going through the hearing.

So at best he could have hoped for an extra $300K and it cost him to find out. And if he really thought he had legitimate chance at $6M he needs to change his agent, and what he heard at the hearing is probably something he needs to hear

He has not been very good. Even accounting for the fact that he was not deployed correctly (as a shut down guy). He has to be either good defensively or contribute more offensively.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:56 pm

wprager wrote:Not sure what to think of Ceci's comments. When he asked for $6M his credibility went out the window.  I don't think it was the case of no offer but, rather, no offer he felt (unrealistically) was high enough.

Once the ask/offer was put there he still had a couple days to negotiate before the hearing. I thought that half way (around $4.6M) was still too high, even though it was likely.  In the end he got $300K *less* than the mood point, but in pretty sure he could have gotten that without going through the hearing.

So at best he could have hoped for an extra $300K and it cost him to find out. And if he really thought he had legitimate chance at $6M he needs to change his agent, and what he heard at the hearing is probably something he needs to hear

He has not been very good. Even accounting for the fact that he was not deployed correctly (as a shut down guy). He has to be either good defensively or contribute more offensively.

Dude. You can't hold Ceci's $6M ask against him. First of all, that's what his agent recommended they ask for, and #2, this is how NHL arbitration works (as we've discussed to death). It's in the best interest of both parties to be as extreme as possible.

Anyway, yeah, even $4M is likely a little high for the way the Sens use Ceci.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13636
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 pm

So, can we put the Karlsson trade rumors to bed now? Are we building around him or what? I assume if we still have a chance of locking up Karlsson that would help us also keep Stone and Duchene. We're not that far off if we can stay healthy. Let the young guys play more. and bring in another top 6 winger and top 6 D.

- Unknown Author
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So, can we put the Karlsson trade rumors to bed now?  

Definitely can't put them to bed.  It's been rumoured at two different points now (trade deadline and more recently in July) to have been very close to happening. Normally when we see those kinds of rumours, a trade is bound to happen eventually (see: Duchene, Matt; Drouin, Jonathan; that defenceman from the Islanders I can't remember right now; etc).
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14178
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So, can we put the Karlsson trade rumors to bed now?  Are we building around him or what?  I assume if we still have a chance of locking up Karlsson that would help us also keep Stone and Duchene.  We're not that far off if we can stay healthy.  Let the young guys play more. and bring in another top 6 winger and top 6 D.

There is definitely a holding pattern going on with Kalrsson and other players.
    It’s either because they can’t get what they want in a trade for Kalrsson or kalrsson is waiting for ownership to change to sign. Then there’s likely more players waiting to sign long term to see if kalrsson signs or possibly ownship changes...there’s a whole lot of waiting going on.

But I’ll tell you what. Theres two dominos in there. And once they fall you’ll see the rest unravel. And that’s likely change in ownership or a karlsson trade.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm

I want to add a theory in there. It seems the kalrsson trading rumours have died down a bit. It is possible that if there is some négociation on ownership happening, whatever new ownership is trying to buy has come out and said they want kalrsson to still be part of the franchise when the sale goes through. Melnyk seemed decided to have no big contracts moving forward but it seems like there’s been a halt on any of these things happening.

No matter what some people have previously said on here, Star NHL players have tremendous value when it comes to valuations a franchise in the now. Do away with those and you have less marketing power and the value of the franchise can be perceived as less to the buyer.

This is just an argument I’m making if there is a sale being negotiated this summer.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So, can we put the Karlsson trade rumors to bed now?  Are we building around him or what?  I assume if we still have a chance of locking up Karlsson that would help us also keep Stone and Duchene.  We're not that far off if we can stay healthy.  Let the young guys play more. and bring in another top 6 winger and top 6 D.

Yes. Could’ve put them to bed the instant we drafted Tkachuk.

If Melnyk is still the owner around the trade deadline, you can gladly start believing the media again.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 am

Flo The Action wrote:

There is definitely a holding pattern going on with Kalrsson and other players.
    It’s either because they can’t get what they want in a trade for Kalrsson or kalrsson is waiting for ownership to change to sign. Then there’s likely more players waiting to sign long term to see if kalrsson signs or possibly ownship changes...there’s a whole lot of waiting going on.

But I’ll tell you what. Theres two dominos in there. And once they fall you’ll see the rest unravel. And that’s likely change in ownership or a karlsson trade.

Yes, even though opinionated posters screamed otherwise on here, I said Stone wouldn’t sign long-term until he sees what happens with Karlsson and that basically happened.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2621
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am

So maybe something happens before the start of the season? None of this makes sense to me. With the current roster I am unsure how Ottawa can 'inject youth' into the lineup with every roster spot already assigned to someone on a one-way contract.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
    Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
    MPS-Smith-Gaborik
    McCormick-XXXXX-Pyatt
    Pushing for spots: Carey, White, Chlapik, Brown, Tkachuk, Formenton, Batherson, Paul

Chabot-Karlsson
    Harpur-Ceci
    Boro-Wideman
    Pushing for spots: Wolanin, Jaros

All Ottawa has done this off-season is buyout Burrows and move away from Claesson. They freed up potentially a few roster spots with press-box guys.

Maybe a new owner comes in and provides Dorion with direction? I thought there was a plan in place. So far no plan has been executed. I am so confused by all of this. Perhaps there is a push from within the organization to remain status quo until Melnyk is gone. Maybe Dorion is standing up for his players who in turn are not committing long-term to the organization until Melnyk is gone.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Well, I like the line of Dzingel-Duchene-Stone...I'll say that.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:51 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So maybe something happens before the start of the season? None of this makes sense to me. With the current roster I am unsure how Ottawa can 'inject youth' into the lineup with every roster spot already assigned to someone on a one-way contract.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
    Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
    MPS-Smith-Gaborik
    McCormick-XXXXX-Pyatt
    Pushing for spots: Carey, White, Chlapik, Brown, Tkachuk, Formenton, Batherson, Paul

Chabot-Karlsson
    Harpur-Ceci
    Boro-Wideman
    Pushing for spots: Wolanin, Jaros

All Ottawa has done this off-season is buyout Burrows and move away from Claesson. They freed up potentially a few roster spots with press-box guys.

Maybe a new owner comes in and provides Dorion with direction?I thought there was a plan in place. So far no plan has been executed. I am so confused by all of this. Perhaps there is a push from within the organization to remain status quo until Melnyk is gone. Maybe Dorion is standing up for his players who in turn are not committing long-term to the organization until Melnyk is gone.

Please tell me you meant “Maybe a new owner comes in and hires a new GM that has their own direction and the balls to follow it?”
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I legitimately don't think Dorion is a bad GM. He may not be a great GM, but I don't think he's bad. I think he's in a terrible situation with a cheap, maniacal boss, and no support staff to lean on.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2621
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Agreed with Tim. I know a few players within the organization who have stated Dorion was really good to them. All minor leaguers. Don't know much about the going-ons of the big club.
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 600
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

Post by 22_4_ever on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Lagoon wrote:

If Melnyk is still the owner around the trade deadline, you can gladly start believing the media again.

Please tell me you don't believe that drafting Tkachuk has meant Karlsson won't be traded. The two are unrelated, as they were using the draft pick regardless of whether Karlsson was traded or not. Ottawa is not even close to signing Karlsson. There has not be a single conversation between the agent and the team in the last 3 weeks, and Karlsson is still not even considering staying in Ottawa long term.

Stone won't address long term future in Ottawa, and his signing of a 1 year deal likely means he's decided to leave if the team doesn't improve it's future (either by trading EK and getting an impact package back, or keeping EK and Duchene). Add to that, there is talk among wives that Melinda and EK hired a realestate consultant to provide them with a list of potential houses in the Tampa Area.

I believe EK will be here at least until December, long enough to ensure Ottawa's standings are high enough to ensure they are not bottom 3 in the league. They will still have to ask him for his no trade list and from what I understand they are toying with the idea of playing dirty pool and putting teams on it they know want to make a deal with Ottawa, so that the only team realistically that will trade for him is Tampa.

As it stands today, EK will be a lightning next July 2, regardless of what Ottawa does with him. He has zero plans to resign in Ottawa or any other team except Tampa if he's traded there. But then again, apparently I'm full of Dung.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:02 pm

22_4_ever wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:

Please tell me you don't believe that drafting Tkachuk has meant Karlsson won't be traded.  The two are unrelated, as they were using the draft pick regardless of whether Karlsson was traded or not.  Ottawa is not even close to signing Karlsson.  There has not be a single conversation between the agent and the team in the last 3 weeks, and Karlsson is still not even considering staying in Ottawa long term.

Stone won't address long term future in Ottawa, and his signing of a 1 year deal likely means he's decided to leave if the team doesn't improve it's future (either by trading EK and getting an impact package back, or keeping EK and Duchene).  Add to that, there is talk among wives that Melinda and EK hired a realestate consultant to provide them with a list of potential houses in the Tampa Area.  

I believe EK will be here at least until December, long enough to ensure Ottawa's standings are high enough to ensure they are not bottom 3 in the league.  They will still have to ask him for his no trade list and from what I understand they are toying with the idea of playing dirty pool and putting teams on it they know want to make a deal with Ottawa, so that the only team realistically that will trade for him is Tampa.

As it stands today, EK will be a lightning next July 2, regardless of what Ottawa does with him.  He has zero plans to resign in Ottawa or any other team except Tampa if he's traded there.  But then again, apparently I'm full of dung 
    Logic dictates this outcome anyways. I don’t know how we didn’t pull the trigger on the last negotiations with Tampa. It’s only been suggested or speculated what was offered back but it’s a whole lot more than the little we will have at the trade deadline. 
    If I was dorion I’d be talking to Salic about getting our pick back in a package for stone.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49136
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Not sure what to think of Ceci's comments. When he asked for $6M his credibility went out the window.  I don't think it was the case of no offer but, rather, no offer he felt (unrealistically) was high enough.

Once the ask/offer was put there he still had a couple days to negotiate before the hearing. I thought that half way (around $4.6M) was still too high, even though it was likely.  In the end he got $300K *less* than the mood point, but in pretty sure he could have gotten that without going through the hearing.

Dude.  You can't hold Ceci's $6M ask against him.  First of all, that's what his agent recommended they ask for, and #2, this is how NHL arbitration works (as we've discussed to death).  It's in the best interest of both parties to be as extreme as possible.

Anyway, yeah, even $4M is likely a little high for the way the Sens use Ceci.

My beef is that he got butthurt doing this on purpose. I'm sure he could have signed for $4M without going through the hearing. He wanted to get that extra $650K (to midpoint; which he didn't get in the end).

We've all heard how bad it can get. Hard to feel sorry for someone who one this going in and still followed through to try to get a little more scratch to which he wasn't entitled!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 pm