Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 55262
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by PTFlea on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm

I can see both sides at this point. Maybe Karlsson has decided the grass is not always greener, maybe Alf has chatted with him, maybe he and duchene have chatted, maybe he's got some assurances that melnyk will be gone and maybe tampa said that hedman took a cut, if you want to play here, we can only offer 8 mil

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14353
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm

PTFlea wrote:I can see both sides at this point.  Maybe Karlsson has decided the grass is not always greener, maybe Alf has chatted with him, maybe he and duchene have chatted, maybe he's got some assurances that melnyk will be gone and maybe tampa said that hedman took a cut, if you want to play here, we can only offer 8 mil

Have you heard anything suggesting he might stay?

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2732
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 pm

I have not. My guess is talks have stalled all around for Dorion. If this gets into August we're in trouble on a Karlsson return. Nothing happens in August
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 849
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

Post by Lagoon on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I can see both sides at this point.  Maybe Karlsson has decided the grass is not always greener, maybe Alf has chatted with him, maybe he and duchene have chatted, maybe he's got some assurances that melnyk will be gone and maybe tampa said that hedman took a cut, if you want to play here, we can only offer 8 mil

I’ve been saying it for months, but no, nothing other than that.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Lagoon wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah but I’ve got you pegged under the “wishful thinking”category. Sarcasm
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Lagoon wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah but I’ve got you pegged under the “wishful thinking”category. Sarcasm

We shall see. Don’t really care if I’m right, I just hope I am.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Flo The Action wrote:

No, just saying there might be another side to this. It would be neat if they announced out of the blue that they had a deal worked out for him to stay.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2730
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 am

PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

No, just saying there might be another side to this.  It would be neat if they announced out of the blue that they had a deal worked out for him to stay.

Yeah. That would certainly make my day !
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

No, just saying there might be another side to this.  It would be neat if they announced out of the blue that they had a deal worked out for him to stay.

That’s always been my opinion. But at the worst, he will be here until at least around the deadline.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2207
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:17 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

I would prefer he was moved for a good return before the season, if not, deal him at the deadline. I don't think re-signing EK is a wise move for the org.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2732
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 pm

The MLB is a prime example of what happens when you sign players in their prime to long term deals. They have a few good years then you're stuck with ludicrous contracts you can't move. It happens to elite pitchers all the time. The sens would be best served to make a deal and move on
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 pm

I love seeing people finally realize Karlsson will probably be playing the majority of this year, and maybe beyond, for Ottawa. It was very obvious to me.
    Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Lagoon on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:23 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The MLB is a prime example of what happens when you sign players in their prime to long term deals. They have a few good years then you're stuck with ludicrous contracts you can't move. It happens to elite pitchers all the time. The sens would be best served to make a deal and move on

Comparing baseball to hockey which have complete opposites in athletic ability, training, length of season, length of offseason, training habits, eating habits, etc, isn’t the greatest of comparisons in my opinion.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Lagoon wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The MLB is a prime example of what happens when you sign players in their prime to long term deals. They have a few good years then you're stuck with ludicrous contracts you can't move. It happens to elite pitchers all the time. The sens would be best served to make a deal and move on

Comparing baseball to hockey which have complete opposites in athletic ability, training, length of season, length of offseason, training habits, eating habits, etc, isn’t the greatest of comparisons in my opinion.

You don't think it's an apt comparison? A couple of years ago Donaldson won the mvp, or was runner up, can't recall and the jays thought pretty carefully about a 30 million x 7 plus years this last off season and look at how bad things would have turned out.

Past 30 is PAST an athlete's prime, sign someone past the 30 and you're asking for trouble.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49342
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Lagoon wrote:I love seeing people finally realize Karlsson will probably be playing the majority of this year, and maybe beyond, for Ottawa. It was very obvious to me.

I *hope* you are right. But I am nearly positive that you aren't.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Lagoon wrote:I love seeing people finally realize Karlsson will probably be playing the majority of this year, and maybe beyond, for Ottawa. It was very obvious to me.
    Mmmmhhh who’s realizing this? If Dorion let’s this happen he’s terrible at making deals when the best returns are likely possible. My guess is kalrsson is gone at the latest by the end of training camp.

On another note I would love if we could resign him. To me he’s the kind of player that will be playing well for most of his next contract. His game isn’t overly physical. If he’s not asked to block shots he’ll be fine.

You guys are just preparing to accept what’s coming by playing down what he could mean for this team. Typical.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2207
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Mmmmhhh who’s realizing this? If Dorion let’s this happen he’s terrible at making deals when the best returns are likely possible. My guess is kalrsson is gone at the latest by the end of training camp.

On another note I would love if we could resign him. To me he’s the kind of player that will be playing well for most of his next contract. His game isn’t overly physical. If he’s not asked to block shots he’ll be fine.

You guys are just preparing to accept what’s coming by playing down what he could mean for this team. Typical.
    I have said the Sens should consider moving Karlsson for a while, well before there was any hint it might happen. I had no idea the offers would be such crap, but there is way too much risk signing a 29 year old to an 8 year deal. I’d also prefer to pay a higher price for Stone and Duchesne on a shorter term, although that would never fly with this owner. 10 x 5 for Duch and Stone would be a smart move.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17170
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 am

This is such a dumb take that you're obviously just trolling now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:06 pm