Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49363
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am

Tkachuk will sign a pro contract. He's informed BU coach of his intention.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21547
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:02 pm

The right move. Never made sense to play in Boston again

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Ev wrote:The right move. Never made sense to play in Boston again

I keep agreeing with you. Stop it!

In all seriousness, though, because he can play in either London or Belleville (if he's not ready for the NHL) it made very little sense to return to BU. If he was a second rounder and not pretty much guaranteed to be a full time NHLer then getting a college education would be the right move. But in his case, almost a no brainier. Besides, do we even know what he was studying? If anything?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14356
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:28 pm

wprager wrote:

I keep agreeing with you. Stop it!

In all seriousness, though, because he can play in either London or Belleville (if he's not ready for the NHL) it made very little sense to return to BU. If he was a second rounder and not pretty much guaranteed to be a full time NHLer then getting a college education would be the right move. But in his case, almost a no brainier. Besides, do we even know what he was studying? If anything?

And i hope you’re right. I would love to see him in the AHL. It be great for Belleville too.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Did anyone hear anything else than what was reported on the Watson-Melnyk meeting?

Certainly didn’t sound like there would be a sale eminent. Certainly didn’t sound like there was a good working relationship between the two leading up to this meeting either.

What the Diddle is Melnyk doing? Nothing of this man’s activity makes any sense. Poor businessmanship
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21547
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Dancing Dumbo
    Flo The Action wrote:Did anyone hear anything else than what was reported on the Watson-Melnyk meeting?

Certainly didn’t sound like there would be a sale eminent. Certainly didn’t sound like there was a good working relationship between the two leading up to this meeting either.

What the Diddle is Melnyk doing? Nothing of this man’s activity makes any sense. Poor businessmanship

Actually everybody was impressed with Melnyk after yesterday. What exactly happened that made no sense or displayed poor businessmanship? There was nothing but positives yesterday as they work towards lebreton
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Ev wrote: Dancing Dumbo
    Flo The Action wrote:Did anyone hear anything else than what was reported on the Watson-Melnyk meeting?

Actually everybody was impressed with Melnyk after yesterday. What exactly happened that made no sense or displayed poor businessmanship? There was nothing but positives yesterday as they work towards lebreton
    I was referencing to the fact that he’s not had continuous discussions with Watson on the lebreton deal and according to Watson himself seemed to waiver on his comittal to the project.
    Of course we could point to his running of a franchise also and delivery and sale of a product but we should probably stay on track on the relationship with city on this one.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Because Watson is running a l
    major city - a capital, even. And there were very many things that needed to be done, and still more to do. I'm sure 100s of hours have been logged behind the scenes, and lots of meetings between various City reps and Rendezvous people. This was just a meeting to update on the progress. Watson, of course, already knew everything, the update was just for the media.

Lagoon
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2018-01-26

Post by Lagoon on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Even with his decision to leave college, I just don’t see him as a full time Sen yet. Boston or London were and are both better options than Ottawa this year. I’d like to see him at the main camp however.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17184
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 am

Yeah, there was no real concrete plans or developments, but at least everyone left the meeting saying things are heading in a positive direction.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Hey, Tim, how was the Lynx game?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:10 pm

wprager wrote:Hey, Tim, how was the Lynx game?
    The lynx still exist?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    The lynx still exist?

Apparently Tim still thought so:

22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 601
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 am

The meeting wasn't so much for Melnyk but it was for Ruddy to make sure the City was on board with his plan. Melnyk owns the team, but Ruddy and his company are the $$$ behind the development. Melnyk and the Sens will be a less than 30% partner in the new development, but he does own the team. Much like Ruddy is the $$$ behind the Landsdowne redevelopment but doesn't own the team.

If Ruddy had left that meeting with an uneasy feeling (like he had after Melnyk shot his mouth off) he would have walked away from the deal and Melnyk would be out of luck with his Labreton Vision. It's funny hearing Melnyk talk about "We are fully capable of funding our portion of what we need to accomplish”

It's not his money, but Ruddy has it and is the $$$. This is where the potential sale of the team hinges...if Ruddy walks the team is gone. On a flip side, it's rumored that Ruddy had a conversation with Melnyk about getting his and Dung together and put a proper management team in place. Ruddy knows that Labreton hinges on a pro team playing in the stadium that fans would come see. The vision is to make $$$ from the other businesses, especially on game nights and that doesn't work with 10k people showing up.

If it's true, then Ruddy is driving the ship now, and while Melnyk owns the team, as long as Ruddy controls the $$$ around the Labreton venture Melnyk has to play by his rules. Hopefully this will mean an improved front office staff, and in turn hockey operations. I guess we'll see.

Oh and btw. Ruddy and Alfie are members at the same golf club, so........
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17184
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    The lynx still exist?

Apparently Tim still thought so:

There were actually a lot of people there, but everyone was sitting up behind me in the second deck in the shade.

Not quite as cheap as I would like for whatever league the Champions play in (food prices are almost CTC levels).  My youngest kid was free and the older one was something like $7.  Me and my wife were $14 each, but we had a 2-for-1 coupon, so it was $14 for both of us.  Parking was $5.  

It's a beautiful place to watch a ball game though; I've always loved the stadium.  It had been a long time since I had been there....  Sundays are "Family Days" and I'm not sure what that means exactly but my kids got to run the bases after the game and they thought that was super cool.  

The Champions lost 6-0 or something, but the bright side is that the game was over in 2 1/2 hours so I got home in plenty of time to watch Tiger and the rest of the boring golfers finish up the PGA Championship.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:26 pm

22_4_ever wrote:

The meeting wasn't so much for Melnyk but it was for Ruddy to make sure the City was on board with his plan.  Melnyk owns the team, but Ruddy and his company are the $$$ behind the development.  Melnyk and the Sens will be a less than 30% partner in the new development, but he does own the team.  Much like Ruddy is the $$$ behind the Landsdowne redevelopment but doesn't own the team.

If Ruddy had left that meeting with an uneasy feeling (like he had after Melnyk shot his mouth off) he would have walked away from the deal and Melnyk would be out of luck with his Labreton Vision.  It's funny hearing Melnyk talk about "We are fully capable of funding our portion of what we need to accomplish”

It's not his money, but Ruddy has it and is the $$$.  This is where the potential sale of the team hinges...if Ruddy walks the team is gone.  On a flip side,  it's rumored that Ruddy had a conversation with Melnyk about getting his and Dung together and put a proper management team in place.  Ruddy knows that Labreton hinges on a pro team playing in the stadium that fans would come see.  The vision is to make $$$ from the other businesses, especially on game nights and that doesn't work with 10k people showing up.  

If it's true, then Ruddy is driving the ship now, and while Melnyk owns the team, as long as Ruddy controls the $$$ around the Labreton venture Melnyk has to play by his rules.  Hopefully this will mean an improved front office staff, and in turn hockey operations.  I guess we'll see.

Oh and btw.  Ruddy and Alfie are members at the same golf club, so........

All very interesting. Melnyk doesn’t strike me as a guy that works well with other though. Has there never been any conversations about Rubby buying the team?

There being split partnerships in lebreton doesn’t bode well for my understanding of team ownership changing hands. It complicates things. I think the lebreton deal makes this franchise very attractive in terms of revenue from the whole project but if it only involves buying the Sens without too much of the other profits then I’m not sure.

I’m obviously not in the know so it’s hard for me to grab the whole picture behind this. But it doesn’t make me feel like we’re anywhere near a change in ownership.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2746
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:52 pm

So here is my interpretation of what is happening.

Melnyk remains owner of the Sens but a partial owner of the LeBreton project. If he were to sell he would be looking at a team valuation + the appraised value of partial ownership of a real estate project. Ruddy has a proven track record. So his appraisal of $700M+ is probably pretty accurate ($500M franchise fee + real estate opportunity). This also explains why Melnyk doesn't care to spend or compete right now. To him, the success of the franchise doesn't matter. Whether the Sens win or lose the valuation of the team stays relatively the same. Similar to the RedBlacks the ownership group makes more money on the real estate opportunity at Lansdownse than it does from the Redblacks.  The team's success is negligible in comparison to revenues generated from rent/leasing and revenue streams from other means.  

I personally think there is more money to be made if Ruddy were to own the team. The negative connotations associated with Melnyk would no longer exist and fans would go to more games. But from a business perspective Ruddy doesn't need to own the team to make money on this deal so maybe buying the team from Melnyk is seen as a sunk-cost and a lot of problems that Ruddy just simply doesn't need.

As I stated before Melnyk may be here to stay. Ruddy will make a ton of money by developing the land while Melnyk will make a ton of money by generating a revenue stream at LeBreton. I am curious to know what arrangement they have, ie: who is paying for the stadium and are the Sens going to lease a stadium from Ruddy or own it?

My guess is there will be a formal acquisition of the Sens with Ruddy as a minority partner. For example, Melnyk could sell 40% of the team to Ruddy for $350M which would pay for approx. 50% of a new arena. Ruddy could invest the other 50% but find alternative ways generate money out of Lebreton. Melnyk would retain majority ownership and control of the team, while Ruddy would get the lucrative real estate deal, own a portion of the team, and not have to deal with the day-to-day problems of owning a franchise.
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 601
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So here is my interpretation of what is happening.

Melnyk remains owner of the Sens but a partial owner of the LeBreton project. If he were to sell he would be looking at a team valuation + the appraised value of partial ownership of a real estate project. Ruddy has a proven track record. So his appraisal of $700M+ is probably pretty accurate ($500M franchise fee + real estate opportunity). This also explains why Melnyk doesn't care to spend or compete right now. To him, the success of the franchise doesn't matter. Whether the Sens win or lose the valuation of the team stays relatively the same. Similar to the RedBlacks the ownership group makes more money on the real estate opportunity at Lansdownse than it does from the Redblacks.  The team's success is negligible in comparison to revenues generated from rent/leasing and revenue streams from other means.  

I personally think there is more money to be made if Ruddy were to own the team. The negative connotations associated with Melnyk would no longer exist and fans would go to more games. But from a business perspective Ruddy doesn't need to own the team to make money on this deal so maybe buying the team from Melnyk is seen as a sunk-cost and a lot of problems that Ruddy just simply doesn't need.

As I stated before Melnyk may be here to stay. Ruddy will make a ton of money by developing the land while Melnyk will make a ton of money by generating a revenue stream at LeBreton. I am curious to know what arrangement they have, ie: who is paying for the stadium and are the Sens going to lease a stadium from Ruddy or own it?

My guess is there will be a formal acquisition of the Sens with Ruddy as a minority partner. For example, Melnyk could sell 40% of the team to Ruddy for $350M which would pay for approx. 50% of a new arena. Ruddy could invest the other 50% but find alternative ways generate money out of Lebreton. Melnyk would retain majority ownership and control of the team, while Ruddy would get the lucrative real estate deal, own a portion of the team, and not have to deal with the day-to-day problems of owning a franchise.

Just making something clear...in no way am I suggesting Ruddy is trying to buy or take over the team. It's my opinion that he has zero interest in owning a sport franchise. He is a developer, that's it! He was only involved in Landsdowne for the development opportunities, and wanted nothing to do with the team. The same goes for LeBreton...i don't believe that there is any interest in owning the team. There is an interest in making sure the team is viable from a fans standpoint, and as long as he controls the investment and development $$$ he's going to keep a tight leash on Melnyk.

On the flip side, Melnyk is smart enough to know he has to play nice at least until the development is done and then he can do what he wants.

What I do know, is there have been several offers to Melnyk for the team, and is holding fast (whether his believe or by the urging of the NHL) to the Franchise fee valuation of 500 million. The NHL will not allow a team to be sold for less than the franchise fee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm