You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Lagoon

Sophomore
Sophomore
PTFlea wrote:Oh man, demelo only makes 900k, I thought he made 3 million for some reason. †I'd have him as my 7th d man without hesitation. †Maybe a 6, but that's stretching it imo

Like Iíve said before, that trade was simply about getting the cheapest rostered forward and defenceman combined with longest contract control. Those were the two players on San Jose and it had nothing to do with skills or lack thereof.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
One of the reasons Gaborik was not bought out is that his salary helps them get to the floor and will be covered by insurance (or 80% of it will be). MacArthur's situation is the same. Wonder if they plug that hole in the next CBA. †If a player's salary can, effectively, not count toward the cap ceiling (when on LTIR), why would it count toward the floor? At the very least, remove the portion covered by insurance.

Otherwise you'll always have teams with money burying bad contracts in Arizona. Or, now, Ottawa.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Oh man, demelo only makes 900k, I thought he made 3 million for some reason. †I'd have him as my 7th d man without hesitation. †Maybe a 6, but that's stretching it imo

Like Iíve said before, that trade was simply about getting the cheapest rostered forward and defenceman combined with longest contract control. Those were the two players on San Jose and it had nothing to do with skills or lack thereof.

Well, let's hope the prospects work out because they got two nothing roster players it appears

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
SensHulk wrote:Melnyk indicated this would happen last December (that parliament hill rant is the gift that keeps on giving) where if the crowds don't improve, player salaries would be cut. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy

Behold! †Hoff-Machine is now SensHulk.

Yess! Thanks Prags. No more player related handles for me.

I'll be around this season GMH

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I haven't been blown away by Tierney either. It's unfortunate that the Karlsson trade yielded two players who are now blocking good prospects from getting ice time.

White should be in the top-six not on the 4th line. Boucher's one young player on every line has actually turned into Ryan on the top line, Smith on the second line (albeit with Tkachuk), Formenton on what appears to be a disjointed 3rd line, and White cemented between Paajarvi, Pyatt and McCormick if White even cracks the roster. He's better off in Belleville developing chemistry with Brown, Batherson, Chlapik and Balcers. He's going to have virtually no offense come Christmas and the fan base are going to start comparing him to Lazar.

As for Wolanin and Lajoie, being penciled in behind De Melo and Harpur is a prime example of poor asset evaluation.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Meanwhile Tatar looked okay with Mtl and Suzuki scored a hat-trick vs the 67s

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I haven't been blown away by Tierney either. It's unfortunate that the Karlsson trade yielded two players who are now blocking good prospects from getting ice time.

White should be in the top-six not on the 4th line. Boucher's one young player on every line has actually turned into Ryan on the top line, Smith on the second line (albeit with Tkachuk), Formenton on what appears to be a disjointed 3rd line, and White cemented between Paajarvi, Pyatt and McCormick if White even cracks the roster. He's better off in Belleville developing chemistry with Brown, Batherson, Chlapik and Balcers. He's going to have virtually no offense come Christmas and the fan base are going to start comparing him to Lazar.

As for Wolanin and Lajoie, being penciled in behind De Melo and Harpur is a prime example of poor asset evaluation.

Tierney isnít blocking anybody imo. Again I have to stress that pre season is meaningless for actual nhl players with spots locked up. There is no reason for any veteran to play super hard , and a guy like Tierney who was literally just traded here will take a while to get used to a completely new team . Heís going to put up the same kind of numbers he did last year and contribute at both ends of the ice. Heís nothing special obliviously. The picks and prospects were the primary part of that deal.

Wolanin and Lajoie are not competing with DeMelo. they are LD and DeMelo is RD. Iíve liked what Iíve seen from DeMelo, calm game and doesnít make a ton of mistakes. Good as the 6th d. You just complained about a guy like White being better off in belleville, which I donít agree with, but if thatís your opinion than your comment about Wolanin and Lajoie doesnít make sense because theyíd both be playing low minutes in the NHL on a bottom pair. Thatís why harpur is still here. To be the guy in the press box.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I haven't been blown away by Tierney either. It's unfortunate that the Karlsson trade yielded two players who are now blocking good prospects from getting ice time.

Tierney isnít blocking anybody imo. Again I have to stress that pre season is meaningless for actual nhl players with spots locked up. There is no reason for any veteran to play super hard , and a guy like Tierney who was literally just traded here will take a while to get used to a completely new team . Heís going to put up the same kind of numbers he did last year and contribute at both ends of the ice. Heís nothing special obliviously. The picks and prospects were the primary part of that deal.

Wolanin and Lajoie are not competing with DeMelo. they are LD and DeMelo is RD. Iíve liked what Iíve seen from DeMelo, calm game and doesnít make a ton of mistakes. Good as the 6th d. You just complained about a guy like White being better off in belleville, which I donít agree with, but if thatís your opinion than your comment about Wolanin and Lajoie doesnít make sense because theyíd both be playing low minutes in the NHL on a bottom pair. Thatís why harpur is still here. To be the guy in the press box.

I should have elaborated on my point that Tierney+Smith is leading White to a 4C role vs a top-six or top-nine role. I suppose White's roster spot will depend on what they decide to do with Formenton. He could slot to RW on L3 if Formenton gets sent down.

Good point re: De Melo being a RHD. I am supporter of the let your best players play mentality and think Wolanin is better than both Harpur and De Melo.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Boy, Ev, if you think Demelo doesn't make a ton of mistakes, I'm scared to think of your version of a guy who does make a ton of mistakes.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Tierney is fine, I'm not blown away but we'll see as the season progresses.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:Boy, Ev, if you think Demelo doesn't make a ton of mistakes, †I'm scared to think of your version of a guy who does make a ton of mistakes.

I didnít see him make a lot of them. Heís ceetainly an upgrade on what we had as bottom our d last few years. Again though Iím not saying heís anytning special. Obviously just a bottom pair replacement level type d.

But again heís a guy who you donít judge until 10 games into the year

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I didn't know the numbers but wasn't impressed with #2. It was only later I saw it was DeMelo. Wasn't impressed. But given that it's either him or Jaros it's easy to figure out what Boucher will do.

As for Harpur, the only reason he's here is to save paying Wolanin an NHL salary. Wolanin is clearly the better choice, otherwise. With any luck he'll play some soft minutes and get some GM excited about his size.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I didn't know the numbers but wasn't impressed with #2. It was only later I saw it was DeMelo. †Wasn't impressed. But given that it's either him or Jaros it's easy to figure out what Boucher will do.

As for Harpur, the only reason he's here is to save paying Wolanin an NHL salary. †Wolanin is clearly the better choice, otherwise. †With any luck he'll play some soft minutes and get some GM excited about his size.

Wolanin being down has nothing to do with money. Itís about ice time

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I know what you're saying - he'd be the 7D, so better Harpur sitting in the pressbox. But we have Chabot and Boro, and then it's Lajoie and Harpur. Are you saying Lajoie plays a regular shift ahead of Harpur? Is Lajoie ahead of Wolanin?

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I know what you're saying - he'd be the 7D, so better Harpur sitting in the pressbox. But we have Chabot and Boro, and then it's Lajoie and Harpur. Are you saying Lajoie plays a regular shift ahead of Harpur? †Is Lajoie ahead of Wolanin?

It seems like the answer is yes to both of those questions. If they felt Wolanin was ahead, they would have made that decision.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Chabot paired with Wideman at practice today
Boro with Ceci and Lajoie with De Melo
Harpur Jaros the 7/8 pair

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran
I like those d pairs

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:I like those d pairs

You do? I personally donít think having a bottom 6 forward on every pairing a good solution.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum