GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Disagree. Most GMs never win. There is only one winner per year. I think it's a crapshoot and other factors like city, taxes, and draft luck play in.

Yeah, cities and taxes are another factor I forgot.
Not to mention “constraints put in by ownership”

Of course there are some GMs that will never win because they are crap.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:Kuznetsov suspended from IIHF events for 4 years for cocaine. If these suspensions happened in the NHL, I think you’d only have 1 on 1 games between Rocco Grimaldi and Dan Hamhuis. I was going to say Fisher too, but he is retired. Interesting to note how devout the Predators are actually.

Yeah, agree. But is there enough done to curtail the use of cocaine in the NHL? I woke up this morning wondering what happened to Ribeiro and now this comes out.

I’m not foolish to think cocaine isn’t something that can be found in all walks of society but it Can become a destructive for many people and tends to tail spin out of control much faster than alcoholism.
Seems like it’s become more acceptable and more widespread amongst youth in the last 15 or so years.

I’m not for the level of criminalization of drugs for offenders under which we live but I feel like there’s not enough done to desuade young people of taking these hard drugs.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
What about the decriminalization of weed?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:What about the decriminalization of weed?
decriminalization or legalization.

I don't think all drugs should be lumped together. I think there's a huge difference between hard and soft drugs. i dont buy into that "gateway drug" idea. Alcohol is just as a gateway as cannabis IMO. and bothe arent

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I'm just saying with weed bring legal the user of cocaine might go down. Who needs to snort stuff when they're napping or snacking?

Speaking of decriminalization vs legalization, I guess this was from me reading up on what Jungle said on the SWP podcast about Portugal. They didn't legalize drugs but decriminalized them. Since then drug use had not dropped but deaths from overdoses, HIV infection rates and drug tested crime has gone way down. Very interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I'm just saying with weed bring legal the user of cocaine might go down. Who needs to snort stuff when they're napping or snacking?

Speaking of decriminalization vs legalization, I guess this was from me reading up on what Jungle said on the SWP podcast about Portugal. They didn't legalize drugs but decriminalized them. Since then drug use had not dropped but deaths from overdoses, HIV infection rates and drug tested crime has gone way down.   Very interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

Yeah I’m familiar with the portugese situation and it suggests many interesting solutions to problems.

I strongly believe that legalizing recreational cannabis is going to have many positive economical impacts for Canadians, and Canadian companies. I don’t think it’s a model for all drugs obviously (it would actually be a nightmare if they legalized hard drugs) but I think there is a mid ground between legalizing some drugs and decriminiizing other drugs.
For one this it will certainly free up the police force to focus on other problems. (Maybe missing native women, but that’s another story).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Gabriel Gagne signs with the Allen Americans ECHL team. Couldn’t even get an AHL contract. Can’t say I’m surprised. Never had the skating abilities to make the league.
Was a very questionable pick when the Sens took him as they passed by on guys that most fans recognized as much better.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
That’s been happening more and more lately, but by the time people realize our recent reaches amounted to nothing, Dorion will be scouting for the 67’s.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:That’s been happening more and more lately, but by the time people realize our recent reaches amounted to nothing, Dorion will be scouting for the 67’s.

I wonder if that’s why he prefers the safe bets. The reaches haven’t panned out all too often.

I’m worried about our pro scouting also. Abramov seems like a pro pick that was also questionable.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:That’s been happening more and more lately, but by the time people realize our recent reaches amounted to nothing, Dorion will be scouting for the 67’s.

I wonder if that’s why he prefers the safe bets. The reaches haven’t panned out all too often.

I’m worried about our pro scouting also. Abramov seems like a pro pick that was also questionable.

Abramov wouldn’t be pro scouting as much as amateur imo , they would have followed him for years as a prospect. IMO the pro scouting has been better lately, I like the trades we made this summer and a few guys last year like Gibbons etc

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Why we didn't re sign Gibbons is well beyond me.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ummm, because we have a half dozen guys trying to break into the NHL. Let's not forget Formenton started the year with Sens and Lajoie played half a season. Both of those guys as it stands don't project to make the team out of camp. Then add in Brown, Abramov, Balcers, Veronneau, Brannstrom, and Davidsson who may be all NHL ready. If that's not a good enough reason to avoid signing Gibbons then I don't know what to tell you lol

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
On that note, a lot of people seem to be really high on both Davidsson and Abramov (others not on Abramov). I don't know much about either aside from Davidsson being the last cut in Clb last year, and Abramov having a high ceiling.

Are both these guys dark horses to make the Sens out of camp?

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I imagine Pageau, Boedker, Ennis, and maybe even Tierney are gone at the deadline. Maybe even Duclair if he has a good season though I can see the Sens holding on to him.

I am cautiously excited to be a Sens fan come March/April. Until then, tank for Laf (or Byfield)

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I imagine Pageau, Boedker, Ennis, and maybe even Tierney are gone at the deadline. Maybe even Duclair if he has a good season though I can see the Sens holding on to him.  

I am cautiously excited to be a Sens fan come March/April. Until then, tank for Laf (or Byfield)
I can’t see Tierney being a Sens long term but I don’t know if they will trade him this season or next. I guess it depends on how well our C prospect do this year and how exploratory contract talks go. If they expect to high a number he’ll be gone by the deadline.
I think you’re right about the rest though and Hainsey too.
Although let’s wait to see if there’s even a market for Boedker and Ennis.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:Why we didn't re sign Gibbons is well beyond me.

Really no room for him. He's likely an AHL player this season

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I imagine Pageau, Boedker, Ennis, and maybe even Tierney are gone at the deadline. Maybe even Duclair if he has a good season though I can see the Sens holding on to him.  

Tierney and Duclair should be kept because they are RFA, no rush to trade them. Tierney wouldn't cost too much on his next deal since he won't score a lot of goals (I imagine).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:On that note, a lot of people seem to be really high on both Davidsson and Abramov (others not on Abramov). I don't know much about either aside from Davidsson being the last cut in Clb last year, and Abramov having a high ceiling.

Are both these guys dark horses to make the Sens out of camp?

I really doubt Abramov makes the team out of camp. I'm not convinced he'll ever be a regular NHLer, but there is some talent there. He was not very impressive with Belleville to finish the season last year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum