You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 14]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Forgot to mention White. He's been very solid, leads the team in faceoff percentage, and has decent offensive numbers (imagine if he played with better linemates).

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Simmer just said if Chabot keeps this up he's in the Norris consideration. He's not wrong. That's a big *IF*, though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:I still think Karlsson will rebound. But Chabot has been lights out.   He certainly wouldn't have been anywhere near this level if Karlsson was still here.

I said all along that taking Karlsson out of our PP will likely make it better. I did not expect this level of production from Tierney and Lajoie and Tkachuk.

Sadly, we're still in the weeds when it comes to playing against the big teams in our own end. Let's not forget that the Devils played the night before and are a .500 team.

If Tkachuk comes back someone will need to slide down the lineup. They may break up the Stone-Duchene line as a result but White is making a case to stay at center. I'd personally like to see Batherson up here sooner than later, though Paul has done a nice job filling in. Not sure what the lines will looks like. My guess is:

Dzingel-Duchene-Boedker
Tkachuk-Tierney-Stone
Paul-White-Ryan
Paajarvi-McCormick-Pyatt

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Our 4th line is little more than a waste of icetime. No identity, no offense.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I just watched that Uber video. Unbelievable! They actually said "praccy" and "twiggy"! I thought that was just a joke on Letterkenny.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I really look forward to seeing or hearing how Brown does when he gets back from injury. He might take some time to scclinstize to the pros, but he's got major potential.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I provided projections of Chabot's productivity last year and compared them to Sergachev's over the course of a season. I don't think anyone would have projected this. Pretty incredible what Chabot is doing.

Looking back at the Karlsson trade:

- De Melo has been a decent pick up. Not flashy but leads the Sens in +/-
- Tierney has been paired with new linemates almost every game and is still 4th in team scoring. More importantly he seems to be getting productivity out of Ryan who is on pace for a 50 pt season. He should crush his totals from last year and the year before.
- Josh Norris is scoring at more than 1 ppg and leads Michigan in scoring. He's on pace to triple his points total from last year.  Should be a force at the WJHC
- Balcers has been playing on the BSens top line and is second on the team in scoring. He's on pace to significantly outscore his last year's totals. Also seems to be developing quite the chemistry with Batherson.

Meanwhile in San Jose:

- Erik Karlsson played 20 minutes last night and did not record a point.
- He sports one of the worst +/- in the league
- Has 11 less points than Burns, 13 less than Chabot
- They are giving up a minimum of a 1st rd and 2nd rd pick for someone who looks destined to sign elsewhere in the off-season

All this Uber stuff aside, the Karlsson trade looks extremely one-sided right now. Hat-tip to Dorion for getting players and prospects that can contribute, high draft picks, virtually no salary back, and proving all us haters wrong.

Anyone seen Lagoon lately?

it's too early. I don't think he's going to sign in SJ though. He will most likely still outpoint every piece in the trade this year as he should.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Every piece individually or collectively? I individually is not that big of an accomplishment, since Tierney is a 40ish point guy and DeMelo less than that. And I assume Balcers' AHL points aren't in the conversation.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I think Josh Norris projects to be a top-two center and there is still a 1st and 2nd rd pick. The depth down the middle: Duchene, Tierney, Pageau, Smith, Brown, Norris with Stone, Dzingel, Ryan, Tkachuk, White, Boedker, Batherson, Balcers, Chlapik on the wings.

Right now the problem is on defence. The Sens need to kill penalties and be better 5 on 5. Period. Having Karlsson on the team wouldn't have made this any better. Nor would Phaneuf who is second worst in the league at -12 and 0 points. Karl is close behind at -9.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, that was everyone's #1 concern coming into this season: defense. I don't think there's going to a be a quick fix for this one...might take a couple years.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
The quick fix is to trade some pieces for d-men. Carolina is looking for a forward. Maybe something can be done there

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The quick fix is to trade some pieces for d-men. Carolina is looking for a forward. Maybe something can be done there

I'm not sure we need to pull the trigger on anything yet. I don't think it's worth bringing in a band-aid solution at this point - we ain't going anywhere this season. Moving into next season, Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, and Ceci need to get sorted out in addition to some sort of defence solution. And then we have a bunch of D prospects that'll need ongoing evaluation.... So unless some sort of trade materializes that is too good to turn down, I wouldn't worry about it for now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Depends what they want to do at the deadline. Boedker, Ryan, Smith, Ceci, Harpur, Boro, Pyatt, Paajarvi, McCormick, Wideman will probably all be on the block.

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran
it seems they do better on defense with ceci and boro out and even wideman isnt help either. the young ones are learning but i like what i see from the group and they will have to learn from their mistakes. i would wait Lajoie is solid and jaros is going to be very good as well its the growing pains of a young team but i like what I see from the young group and have been impressed by demelo. The penalty kill is a whole other problem they need someone who can do a better job coaching them on the penalty kill

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
And don't forget Wolanin. He showed last year that he's ready to play in this league. If he wasn't a leftie (and we didn't have Harpur/Boro under contract) he'd be in the lineup.

Boro is still valuable as a deterrent. He's also good at keeping the other guys in check. Ceci, though, has made our defense worse when he plays. Sure, it's partially because he's not a shutdown or even a defensive player, it regardles, the team thrived without him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I'd argue that Ceci isn't an offensive dman either. He fumbles the puck all the time, can't make or take clean passes, and rarely gets his shots through.

Not sure why Dorion likes him so much. A team may be willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for him. They should seriously consider it

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
He was certainly an offensive threat in Junior and when he first came to the NHL. He can get that touch back.

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran
Drake batherson with 1 goal and 5 assists in Belleville.win last night. Wolanin also ha 1 goal and 4 assists. Batherson has be playing well and and getting loads of points.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum