You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 24]

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
PTFlea wrote:He's gone for sure. †He's good, but he's a supporting scorer that wont be worth 5.5 or whatever he'll get
I was just thinking that. He might actually net a first.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:He's gone for sure. †He's good, but he's a supporting scorer that wont be worth 5.5 or whatever he'll get
I was just thinking that. He might actually net a first.

I think there's a chance, yeah. Or a 2nd and a good prospect.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran
SpezzD. †This is for you

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Wouldn't that be something if we ended up picking higher with San Jose's pick than Colorado does with ours. I really don't see that happening...but...dare to dream.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
2 points back of Montreal for a wildcard spot.

Mind you, the last team in the East is 6 back with 2 games in hand

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Oglethorpe wrote:SpezzD. †This is for you

Lol, dare to dream indeed

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I still doubt this would happen (mainly because I do believe smoke that a lot of players donít like him) but if karlsson were to sign under new ownership then we basically got a bunch of assets for free

Imagine sharks miss playoffs, their pick becomes top 3, sens sign karlsson.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:I still doubt this would happen (mainly because I do believe smoke that a lot of players donít like him) but if karlsson were to sign under new ownership then we basically got a bunch of assets for free

How long can Eugene hold on to the team is the main question in Sens land these days.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:I still doubt this would happen (mainly because I do believe smoke that a lot of players donít like him) but if karlsson were to sign under new ownership then we basically got a bunch of assets for free

How long can Eugene hold on to the team is the main question in Sens land these days.

Several years and I expect him to dig in his heels. However, that $700m number isn't random. That's a clear signal to any potential bidders that the asking price has been set.

Failing that, Euge will follow the lead of his pals at OSEG and slap some paint on the CTC and call it "PalladiumLive!"

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Several years and I expect him to dig in his heels. However, that $700m number isn't random. That's a clear signal to any potential bidders that the asking price has been set.

Failing that, Euge will follow the lead of his pals at OSEG and slap some paint on the CTC and call it "PalladiumLive!"

Which will probably shelve any downtown arena for a while. A big draw of selling this team at that price would have been that downtown arena. No way he gets 700M for a Kanata arena/team.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Expansion fees *were* $500M 2 years ago. They have the best rookie corps in the league, plus Stone Duchene, Chabot. A serviceable arena that can accommodate 18K+and doesn't need any major renovations (yet). An established brand in a good hockey market.

$700M would be the low end.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't doubt it to be honest. I think the elite players can really be controversial figures. There are stars like Stone who just want to go out and win and play hard, then there are stars who have addition things going on. I can see it wearing on players, but I know nothing about it.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Expansion fees *were* $500M 2 years ago. They have the best rookie corps in the league, plus Stone Duchene, Chabot. A serviceable arena that can accommodate 18K+and doesn't need any major renovations (yet). An established brand in a good hockey market.

$700M would be the low end.

But on the downside one could argue the marketís willingness to support the team, low attendance and stalled growth of the franchise while using existing numbers to make forecasts as opposed to a place like Vegas that did not have comparables. Just hypotheticals. Itís easier to sell ona market that doesnít have such things than one that has negative numbers.

Not saying it wonít sell at a good price, just saying a potential owner has more ammunition to try and bring the price down.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
It's well documented that attendance woes were tied to two things: early 2000s high tech meltdown and Melnyk. Melnyk would not be there and high tech has recovered to levels higher than before (spending won't ever return to the late 90s levels, but the size of the high tech industry is greater).

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:It's well documented that attendance woes were tied to two things: early 2000s high tech meltdown and Melnyk. Melnyk would not be there and high tech has recovered to levels higher than before (spending won't ever return to the late 90s levels, but the size of the high tech industry is greater).

I find it interesting that so many people seem to believe that attendance has never been an issue and it's all Melnyk's fault.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:It's well documented that attendance woes were tied to two things: early 2000s high tech meltdown and Melnyk. Melnyk would not be there and high tech has recovered to levels higher than before (spending won't ever return to the late 90s levels, but the size of the high tech industry is greater).

I find it interesting that so many people seem to believe that attendance has never been an issue and it's all Melnyk's fault.

What I don't get is, people say as soon as Melnyk is gone attendance will go up to 100%, but then the same people say the team needs to move from Kanata for attendance to be better. So which is it? Kanata wasn't an issue when the team was good.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Well, attendance will go up when Melnyk is gone, and attendance will REALLY go up when the team moves downtown. Both will have positive impacts.

Although I gotta say, drawing 12,000 a game does wonders for getting out the parking lot after the game!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:

That's only half of what I said, and not even the first half.

Back in the early-to-mid 90s attendance was not a problem. First they were in the 10K seat arena and then when they moved out to the cow pasture there was plenty of venture capital money to spend on perks like suites and season tickets. Attendance was not a problem. Then the tech bubble burst, people lost jobs and more, high tech firms stopped buying suites and tickets, but the team was doing well. Then they weren't doing so well, high-tech had not recovered, Melnyk lost his billions and started talking crazy. High tech has recovered but even so, they are not buying up suites and tickets like they had before. The Phoenix system fiasco has made a lot of people quite hesitant to spend (if not outright unable to do so) and Melnyk got worse. It's a vicious cycle. Plus a lot of people are likely thinking they'll wait until the team is downtown.

So it's not just Melnyk.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum