You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 24]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:It's well documented that attendance woes were tied to two things: early 2000s high tech meltdown and Melnyk. Melnyk would not be there and high tech has recovered to levels higher than before (spending won't ever return to the late 90s levels, but the size of the high tech industry is greater).

I find it interesting that so many people seem to believe that attendance has never been an issue and it's all Melnyk's fault.

What I don't get is, people say as soon as Melnyk is gone attendance will go up to 100%, but then the same people say the team needs to move from Kanata for attendance to be better. So which is it? Kanata wasn't an issue when the team was good.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Well, attendance will go up when Melnyk is gone, and attendance will REALLY go up when the team moves downtown. Both will have positive impacts.

Although I gotta say, drawing 12,000 a game does wonders for getting out the parking lot after the game!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:It's well documented that attendance woes were tied to two things: early 2000s high tech meltdown and Melnyk. Melnyk would not be there and high tech has recovered to levels higher than before (spending won't ever return to the late 90s levels, but the size of the high tech industry is greater).

I find it interesting that so many people seem to believe that attendance has never been an issue and it's all Melnyk's fault.

That's only half of what I said, and not even the first half.

Back in the early-to-mid 90s attendance was not a problem. First they were in the 10K seat arena and then when they moved out to the cow pasture there was plenty of venture capital money to spend on perks like suites and season tickets. Attendance was not a problem. Then the tech bubble burst, people lost jobs and more, high tech firms stopped buying suites and tickets, but the team was doing well. Then they weren't doing so well, high-tech had not recovered, Melnyk lost his billions and started talking crazy. High tech has recovered but even so, they are not buying up suites and tickets like they had before. The Phoenix system fiasco has made a lot of people quite hesitant to spend (if not outright unable to do so) and Melnyk got worse. It's a vicious cycle. Plus a lot of people are likely thinking they'll wait until the team is downtown.

So it's not just Melnyk.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:Well, attendance will go up when Melnyk is gone, and attendance will REALLY go up when the team moves downtown.  Both will have positive impacts.  

Although I gotta say, drawing 12,000 a game does wonders for getting out the parking lot after the game!

There won't be a parking issue at LeBreton because there won't be parking. And waiting to get out of the parking lot on a bus stuffed with drunk Leafs fans is not going to be any better than waiting to get out of the parking lot in a frozen car.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
So Forbes did their franchise valuation thing.

The Sens come in at 23rd, $435M. This likely doesn't factor in the prospects of moving downtown.

https://www.tsn.ca/forbes-leafs-habs-trail-rangers-in-value-1.1221269

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
B-Sens swap Erkamps and Sexton for Stefan ElliotT and Tobias Lindberg. Lindberg was originally a Sens draft pick, moved as part of the Phaneuf trade, then as part of the Brassard trade. All in all this is the 4th year by the organization which involves Lindberg. Weird.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:B-Sens swap Erkamps and Sexton for Stefan ElliotT and Tobias Lindberg. Lindberg was originally a Sens draft pick, moved as part of the Phaneuf trade, then as part of the Brassard trade. All in all this is the 4th year by the organization which involves Lindberg. Weird.
Saw that. Easy trade. Much better player than those two plugs he was traded for. Doubt anyone in this deal ever sees the NHL but at least Linberg can be a solid player in theAHL and help the team.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Really? That's cool.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Elliott is a really solid pickup for belleville.
Nothing to lose in that trade at all lol

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
They are hurting on the blue line with Jaros up in Ottawa and Wolanin on the IR. Erkamps dropped off significantly from his last year in Junior. I think he's been playing in the ECHL. And I always liked Lindberg.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Sounds like Duchene might be out long term as he was placed on the IR. Nick Paul has been recalled.

The team hasn't offered updates on Matt Duchene or Bobby yet.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Brown has 9 points in 10 games since getting back in the lineup.

He's a center.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:Sounds like Duchene might be out long term as he was placed on the IR.  Nick Paul has been recalled.

The team hasn't offered updates on Matt Duchene or Bobby yet.

Oh man...

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Brown has 9 points in 10 games since getting back in the lineup.

He's a center.

I think brown could use an entire season in the AHL before making the jump.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Yes. Problem is Duchene is injured *now*. White has been great but I still think he's a 2C (playing with Stone sure helps). If/when Brown develops, assuming Duchene is still here, he and White will battle it out for the 2C position. Brown has advantage in size and skill; White is a better 200 ft player. And depending on how quickly Norris develops we could have a ton of high end talent at center. We need a little veteran help on D.

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Yes. Problem is Duchene is injured *now*. White has been great but I still think he's a 2C (playing with Stone sure helps).  If/when Brown develops, assuming Duchene is still here, he and White will battle it out for the 2C position. Brown has advantage in size and skill; White is a better 200 ft player. And depending on how quickly Norris develops we could have a ton of high end talent at center.  We need a little veteran help on D.

I bet one of those guys will eventually be traded for a top 4 D man

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Yes. Problem is Duchene is injured *now*. White has been great but I still think he's a 2C (playing with Stone sure helps).  If/when Brown develops, assuming Duchene is still here, he and White will battle it out for the 2C position. Brown has advantage in size and skill; White is a better 200 ft player. And depending on how quickly Norris develops we could have a ton of high end talent at center.  We need a little veteran help on D.

I was thinking about this the other day. What Ottawa's lineup could look like over the next few seasons

I personally see Tierney, Pyatt, Paajarvi, Boro, and Dzingel being shopped at the deadline. Condon too if there is a market for him. I think Norris will turn pro after the season but they'll convert him to a winger. My guess at the Sens lineup next season:

Tkachuk-Duchene-Batherson
Formenton-Brown-Stone
Norris-White-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Paul
Extra: Balcers

Chabot-De Melo
Lajoie-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros
Extra: Falk

Anderson
Hogberg

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:

While I agree, desperate times may call for a.look

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum