Stocks?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stocks? Empty Stocks? on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
I was wondering if anyone or everyone have an appetite to have a stocks thread on here?

I know there were some discussions a few years ago with members talking about cannabis stocks and IIRC these people made some good pics if they exectued at the time. Iíve done fairly well in the past couple years but I donít like ďonline investors forums as I find theyíre polluted with pumpers and dumpers.

I was wondering if people have an appetite for this sort of discutions on this board as weíve all posted here for years and discutions might be more interesting (and beneficial) vs other places online.
(Obviously doesnít have to be limited to Cannstocks, I like looking at different industries and strategies)

Anyways, just a thought.

2Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:02 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I have pretty much zero interest. I don't trust you guys when it comes to hockey, definitely not taking your financial advice!!!! Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3

3Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
tim1_2 wrote:I have pretty much zero interest. †I don't trust you guys when it comes to hockey, definitely not taking your financial advice!!!! †Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3
Fair enough. I wouldnít have recommended investments for anyone anyways as it goes against the Codes of the CFA certification Iím doing. Iíd have to know your risk tolerance and situation. Iím more interested in talking about companies, industry and what people think. A healthy dialogue.

4Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I currently invest using WealthSimple. I don't really have an interest in picking stocks at the moment.

5Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:I currently invest using WealthSimple. I don't really have an interest in picking stocks at the moment.
Whatís your yearly return on that? Is it passively or actively managed?

6Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I currently invest using WealthSimple. I don't really have an interest in picking stocks at the moment.

I just started but their growth portfolio has a 4.3% annual return since inception six years ago, mainly due to last year's -4%. It is passively managed. I am investing there for now since I don't have a lot to invest and the MER is 0.5%.

7Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I just started but their growth portfolio has a 4.3% annual return since inception six years ago, mainly due to last year's -4%. It is passively managed. I am investing there for now since I don't have a lot to invest and the MER is 0.5%.

Well if you donít know what youíre doing Iíd say thatís about as smart as you could have done. Stay clear of mutual funds as their fees are ridiculous. ETFs have changed the game on them and itís reallt easy to follow a passive strategy at low cost. No guarantees youíll get Alpha I guess but plenty of actives wonít get it either.

I do a lot of swing, momentum and news related trading on my free time but since itís not crazy money liquidity is easy and I can get easy returns on stocks with huge variance. If I was managing a big 7 figure portfolio I donít think Iíd get the high returns in getting now.

8Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Apparently Cramer upgraded NOK to "do not buy" recently (that's an AD reference). More seriously, though, they are apparently doing well in 5G (with Huawei in trouble in NA as Europe).

5G is the next big thing in mobile and there will be lots of new network build out happening over the next decade.

9Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Apparently Cramer upgraded NOK to "do not buy" recently (that's an AD reference). More seriously, though, they are apparently doing well in 5G (with Huawei in trouble in NA as Europe).

5G is the next big thing in mobile and there will be lots of new network build out happening over the next decade.

That is interesting, do you know if there are competing technologies that could surpass it? I really donít know much about that segment of technology but to be able to put careful bets on which will likely have the advantage of winning whatever infrastructure bids that entails could see good returns on stocks. That said smartphones sales are in decline. People arenít replacing their phones as often(I wouldnít if it didnít keep on breaking down, just got the first edition X, hope it lasts) which means sales projections on smartphones are going way down for the coming years unless a major shift in product offering. Iím not sure better speed would be enough)

What we need is a (good olí) disrupted model of business to pop Up! Katching!

10Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Because of the enormous cost to introduce new tech (BT would have literally a full year cycle of testing to install a new *software* release for a network switch; never mind introduction of new h/w or, worse, new protocols) you are not very likely to find "competing technology". Anything like a new generation of wireless comms like G5 is the product of consortiums (consortia?) of hardware (components), providers (like your Bell/Rogers/Telus) and network gear providers (Nokia/Cisco/Ciena). To take advantage of 5G you need a new phone, but I would stay away from handset manufacturers. None of them (beside Apple) make all that much. The network gear manufacturers will certainly get a big share. Then there's the companies like Quallcomm who will be building the chips that go inside all those new handsets and network gear.

11Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
QCOM dividend yield is nearly 5%.

12Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Because of the enormous cost to introduce new tech (BT would have literally a full year cycle of testing to install a new *software* release for a network switch; never mind introduction of new h/w or, worse, new protocols) you are not very likely to find "competing technology". †Anything like a new generation of wireless comms like G5 is the product of consortiums (consortia?) of hardware (components), providers (like your Bell/Rogers/Telus) and network gear providers (Nokia/Cisco/Ciena). †To take advantage of 5G you need a new phone, but I would stay away from handset manufacturers. †None of them (beside Apple) make all that much. †The network gear manufacturers will certainly get a big share. †Then there's the companies like Quallcomm who will be building the chips that go inside all those new handsets and network gear.

Interesting.
Any idea why Qcom has dipped so much in the past 6 months?

13Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Not sure. I remember reports saying worldwide sales of handsets were down.

This: https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS44425818

14Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Not sure. I remember reports saying worldwide sales of handsets were down.

This: https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS44425818

15Stocks? Empty Re: Stocks? on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
NASDAQ has had a bit of a rough ride this year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum