You are not connected. Please login or register

» Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 24]

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:As long as he develops young players and the guys like him he will be good. He wonít have much pressure to win his first year

He'll have zero pressure. The Sens will want to finish bottom 1 or 2 again to secure a top three pick. His only expectation will be to develop the players and bring more accountability in the defensive zone.

I don't see a situation where the Sens don't bring in another stay-at-home RHD. They should be doing everything they can to move on and upgrade on Ceci. I also expect Boro or Harpur to get a lot of ice-time under DJ since he's a grit type of coach. This puts a lot of pressure on Chabot and Wolanin to produce offense from the back-end. I still don't know what the Sens will do with all their defencemen next year. Chabot, Wolanin, De Melo, Ceci, Harpur, Boro, Jaros, Lajoie, Brannstrom could all be NHL ready with 8 of those guys playing in the NHL consistently last season.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
One thing that came across in the media DJ did yesterday is his energy and enthusiasm. That's a trait I always look for and appreciate in people. I enjoyed Guy Boucher's energy and passion and DJ seems to be bringing more of the same (probably with a little less crazy though).

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Can't help but feel Karlsson will become a Bolt on a 5 x $9.5M deal. Tampa will need to move salary. I am hoping the Sens offer to take Callahan off their hands with a prospect included in the trade. Not sure what Ottawa would need to give up in a salary dump situation, but I hope Dorion has the smarts (and the flexibility) to do something like this.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Maybe the Karlsson trade was underwhelming at the time, but man did we ever make out like bandits. Not just the fact that we have received picks/players/prospects back in return, but his health is clearly a big issue and I am glad we didn't sign him to a mega deal. I expect the Sharks to take a pretty significant step back next season and hope their 2020 1st ends up being a lottery pick.

https://www.tsn.ca/defenceman-erik-karlsson-thanks-san-jose-sharks-on-twitter-1.1311056

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
With Karlsson moving on, Thornton likely retiring (or worse, staying on and blocking someone younger), Pavelski getting older (and that concussion was not good), and Burns not getting any younger, they are ripe for a big drop off.

Not counting on a lottery pick, yet, but it could happen.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
A lot of people shat all over that Karlsson trade, but maybe we sold as high as we could. Time will tell...I'm not totally convinced his best years are behind him, but it's beginning to look that way with his injury issues. I'd be surprised if he gets 7 years from a team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Can Jake Gardiner play the right side?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Expect kalrsson to kind of plateau from now on. I think his best years are likely behind him unless he does sign with the bolts but that will also be a result of who he plays with.
I also feel like he could become a bolt but they are gonna have to move some crazy contracts to make that happen. I think another option is the panthers but they will also need to move Hoffman before that happens.

His health is totally going to be an issue.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
I donít understand the Karlsson negativity. Letís assume he was 50% healthy on the ice this season, he still completely dominated the ice and was one of the top 3 in the game at his position. He has a summer to repair himself. Please guys, we know how good he is. Donít be bitter because he isnít a Sen anymore. Blame management please.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:Can Jake Gardiner play the right side?

Yes, every NHL player can switch sides.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:I donít understand the Karlsson negativity. Letís assume he was 50% healthy on the ice this season, he still completely dominated the ice and was one of the top 3 in the game at his position. He has a summer to repair himself. Please guys, we know how good he is. Donít be bitter because he isnít a Sen anymore. Blame management please.

I donít blame him for injuries but itís a huge risk that canít be ignored. He most likely has a sports hernia or something to that effect, coupled with past injuries of a torn achilles and ankle surgery. I hope he can get as much money as possible out there, but I think it will be less than what he could have gotten one year ago. His skating has been hampered and that has caused his defensive game and ability to rush with the puck to deteriorate. Obviously heís still very good, and I hope he can get a good contract but at the same time I hope the SJ pick becomes a high one.

If he has a sports hernia thatís the same thing Bobby Ryan has which IMO caused his game to suffer a lot to this day. Obviously theyíre not comparable players though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:

They can but itís rare. Gonchar was one who was successful at it. Iím not even sure if Iíd want Gardiner, but maybe they call him given the DJ smith connection now.

Should be an interesting July 1, I think the sens will sign a few players. Most likely Spezza given the rumours.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
He put up amazing numbers. 16 points in 19 playoff games. But he was directly responsible for a lot of goals against. My comments are more so specific to the fact that he is injury prone (add groin injury to his long list of ailments) but also that we got a haul for one year's worth of Karlsson. If his intent was always to go to San Jose, then Dorion got a lot for him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Another DJ smith connection is Roman Polak who is UFA

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Friedman mentions Sens/Smith would most likely ask Bob Boughner to come on as an assistant. That would be a great add. He just had two above 500 seasons as a head coach and players like him.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

They can but itís rare. Gonchar was one who was successful at it. Iím not even sure if Iíd want Gardiner, but maybe they call him given the DJ smith connection now.

Should be an interesting July 1, I think the sens will sign a few players. Most likely Spezza given the rumours.

I think the Spezza rumours are overblown. He only said that he would be open to it and even the way he said it it sounded more as if no one else came calling.
Iíll be surprised if heís a Sens. Not impossible but I wouldnít say itís a likely scenario

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:Friedman mentions Sens/Smith would most likely ask Bob Boughner to come on as an assistant. That would be a great add. He just had two above 500 seasons as a head coach and players like him.
That would be a good add.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I would bring in Polak and Spezza in a heartbeat. Polak could be a perfect pairing for Wolanin and would push Ceci out. Spezza would do wonders for White and Brown. I don't think he'd have much left in the tank and expectations would need to be low on what he brings on the ice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum