You are not connected. Please login or register

» Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 51 ... 55  Next

Go down  Message [Page 48 of 55]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Great trade. Who cares about the money stuff when you get the better player.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:Great trade. Who cares about the money stuff when you get the better player.

Am I missing something or did we get a much better player? He didn’t have a great year last year but he was bumped down to the third line. This has rebounded written all over it.

Not to mention that anissimov is owed less money than his cap. Coincidence? I think not.

As of today, it’s a good move.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Sens save some $ and get a marginally better player.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Not sure if marginally is the right word. Smith has been awful since his 16 goal, 20% shooting season playing with Stone and Pageau

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yeah, that's a solid trade. Smith was DONE here. I doubt he can bounce back anywhere, but he was finished here.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:Yeah, that's a solid trade.  Smith was DONE here.  I doubt he can bounce back anywhere, but he was finished here.

I think he can provide a phisical edge on the 3rd or 4rth line in Chicago if need be but I don’t expect him ouscoring Anisimov by any stretch of the imagination.
I think Chicago had different plans when it came to their C depth than Anisimov.

If anything you may be able to get a 2nd rounder of Artem next year at the deadline if he plays well down the stretch and that’s something we’d never would have gotten for Smith.

Of course Artem could wind up being terrible but it’s not something that hurts us terribly going forward.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Yeah, that's a solid trade.  Smith was DONE here.  I doubt he can bounce back anywhere, but he was finished here.

I think he can provide a phisical edge on the 3rd or 4rth line in Chicago if need be but I don’t expect him ouscoring Anisimov by any stretch of the imagination.
I think Chicago had different plans when it came to their C depth than Anisimov.

If anything you may be able to get a 2nd rounder of Artem next year at the deadline if he plays well down the stretch and that’s something we’d never would have gotten for Smith.

Of course Artem could wind up being terrible but it’s not something that hurts us terribly going forward.

He might suck as well, but it would be pretty hard to suck as badly as Smith after his good years.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ev wrote:Great trade. Who cares about the money stuff when you get the better player.

I'm sure Melnyk does.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
You mean the bonus Anisimov was paid yesterday might have factored into this decision?

As far as talent goes, even though it doesn’t factor into Dorion’s moves, I wouldn’t be so quick to say we got the better player. I will wait and see where Anisimov plays because he needs players to drive his play and also favourable zone starts for any of his points. Smith needed Stone sure, was softer lately, but Smith also played against tougher competition, with weaker teammates and started most of his shifts in the D zone. The opposite is with Anisimov.

Thus far, this is nothing to be excited about and just more of the same crap from Dorion. Status quo money moves without caring about talent or what he has gone on record and said previously about what he wants in team dynamic. It is embarrassing to me.

I will just hold onto the hope that Anisimov was brought here because Gusev is on his way. They have legit chemistry on the ice together.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Or he's a trade chip to whatever team signs Gusev

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:You mean the bonus Anisimov was paid yesterday might have factored into this decision?

As far as talent goes, even though it doesn’t factor into Dorion’s moves, I wouldn’t be so quick to say we got the better player. I will wait and see where Anisimov plays because he needs players to drive his play and also favourable zone starts for any of his points. Smith needed Stone sure, was softer lately, but Smith also played against tougher competition, with weaker teammates and started most of his shifts in the D zone. The opposite is with Anisimov.

Thus far, this is nothing to be excited about and just more of the same crap from Dorion. Status quo money moves without caring about talent or what he has gone on record and said previously about what he wants in team dynamic. It is embarrassing to me.

I will just hold onto the hope that Anisimov was brought here because Gusev is on his way. They have legit chemistry on the ice together.

To be clear I wasn’t saying the money wasn’t a factor, I just don’t care if they save money on a move while getting a better player and not getting a diminished return. IMO the players are in different tiers offensively.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
When you compare this trade to Hoffman it's night and day. Smith playing against tougher competition? But he wasn't doing it well the last few years. He stopped hitting (I have saying it but it's true) after signing that big contact. Soon after that his speed also disappeared.

I don't know how anyone can say we didn't get the better player. Not by a huge margin by let's put it this way. At $3M next season they shouldn't have a problem trading him for a 2nd, while 30 other teams passed Smith over when he was placed on waivers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:You mean the bonus Anisimov was paid yesterday might have factored into this decision?

To be clear I wasn’t saying the money wasn’t a factor, I just don’t care if they save money on a move while getting a better player and not getting a diminished return. IMO the players are in different tiers offensively.

Absolutley. Smith is a black hole offensively.

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore
I'm very happy about this trade. There was a play last year in the Sens end where Smith was in the slot bent over with his stick on his knees as the play was going on. The guys on RDS said they had never seen a player do that during play. He has slowed down and is not hitting, I would have taken a fourth round pick for him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hobiesens wrote:I'm very happy about this trade. There was a play last year in the Sens end where Smith was in the slot bent over with his stick on his knees as the play was going on. The guys on RDS said they had never seen a player do that during play. He has slowed down and is not hitting, I would have taken a fourth round pick for him.

Absolutely. I would have taken nothing for Smith to move out of the way for Paul or Balcers or Abramov or anyone with a pulse really.

The fact that Chicago paid Anisimov's bonus AND took Smith is a major win for Ottawa. For once, being a cheap bunghole didn't hurt, but helped. Small money owed, a chance for Anisimov to rebound a bit, a real C instead of Smith (who was good at faceoffs, I'll admit, but just 2% better than Anisimov).

Not only that, but Anisimov isn't the fastest guy around, but he has a high hockey IQ and knows EXACTLY where to stand in front of the net - and can't be moved that much. A return to 20 goals is not out of the question at all.

Big win for Ottawa and one of only 2 Dorion trades I can think of where he flat out won (the other was Dzingel). Maybe the Stone trade if Stone had no intention of signing here, getting a top 15 prospect in the entire league (top 10 before this draft) was a coup.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:

Absolutley.  Smith is a black hole offensively.

So is Anisimov unless playing with Kane, Panarin, DeBrincat, Saad, Schmaltz or Kahun.

Both Anisimov and Smith aren’t play drivers. I just don’t want anyone pretending or thinking that we got someone that will be anything more than a trade piece. And when trying to figure out what that trade piece might be, please see the diminishing returns that Anisimov has fetched when being traded by three NHL teams. Rick Nash, then Saad, now Smith. I see regression and you will be lucky to get a 4th for him at the deadline, because unlike Smith, Anisimov can’t play in what is very obvious a different game in the playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:

Absolutley.  Smith is a black hole offensively.

So is Anisimov unless playing with Kane, Panarin, DeBrincat, Saad, Schmaltz or Kahun.

Both Anisimov and Smith aren’t play drivers. I just don’t want anyone pretending or thinking that we got someone that will be anything more than a trade piece. And when trying to figure out what that trade piece might be, please see the diminishing returns that Anisimov has fetched when being traded by three NHL teams. Rick Nash, then Saad, now Smith. I see regression and you will be lucky to get a 4th for him at the deadline, because unlike Smith, Anisimov can’t play in what is very obvious a different game in the playoffs.

He's a huge body that has high IQ and can and will stand in front of the net and mess with goalies. Smith was useless. If people wanted him for the playoffs, they weren't even willing to take him for free. This is a dime a dozen player.

Anisimov, with his high hockey IQ and penchant for standing in front of the net can regain his 20 goal form IMO - and without issue. Smith will be lucky to be playing on Chicago by the playoffs, they'll wear real thin of his 'forechecking' and losing and being invisible night in and night out.

Great trade.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Not that I'm necessarily pro-Anisimov, but I know about him and think he'll be decent here - and we got him for absolutely free - with little money owed which makes him an asset for us in the future. That's the basic gist. And I DO think he'll get back to 20 goals on Ottawa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 48 of 55]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 51 ... 55  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum