You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 55  Next

Go down  Message [Page 49 of 55]

Lagoon


Veteran
Veteran
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:You mean the bonus Anisimov was paid yesterday might have factored into this decision?

As far as talent goes, even though it doesn’t factor into Dorion’s moves, I wouldn’t be so quick to say we got the better player. I will wait and see where Anisimov plays because he needs players to drive his play and also favourable zone starts for any of his points. Smith needed Stone sure, was softer lately, but Smith also played against tougher competition, with weaker teammates and started most of his shifts in the D zone. The opposite is with Anisimov.

Thus far, this is nothing to be excited about and just more of the same crap from Dorion. Status quo money moves without caring about talent or what he has gone on record and said previously about what he wants in team dynamic. It is embarrassing to me.

I will just hold onto the hope that Anisimov was brought here because Gusev is on his way. They have legit chemistry on the ice together.

To be clear I wasn’t saying the money wasn’t a factor, I just don’t care if they save money on a move while getting a better player and not getting a diminished return. IMO the players are in different tiers offensively.

Absolutley.  Smith is a black hole offensively.

So is Anisimov unless playing with Kane, Panarin, DeBrincat, Saad, Schmaltz or Kahun.

Both Anisimov and Smith aren’t play drivers. I just don’t want anyone pretending or thinking that we got someone that will be anything more than a trade piece. And when trying to figure out what that trade piece might be, please see the diminishing returns that Anisimov has fetched when being traded by three NHL teams. Rick Nash, then Saad, now Smith. I see regression and you will be lucky to get a 4th for him at the deadline, because unlike Smith, Anisimov can’t play in what is very obvious a different game in the playoffs.

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:You mean the bonus Anisimov was paid yesterday might have factored into this decision?

As far as talent goes, even though it doesn’t factor into Dorion’s moves, I wouldn’t be so quick to say we got the better player. I will wait and see where Anisimov plays because he needs players to drive his play and also favourable zone starts for any of his points. Smith needed Stone sure, was softer lately, but Smith also played against tougher competition, with weaker teammates and started most of his shifts in the D zone. The opposite is with Anisimov.

Thus far, this is nothing to be excited about and just more of the same crap from Dorion. Status quo money moves without caring about talent or what he has gone on record and said previously about what he wants in team dynamic. It is embarrassing to me.

I will just hold onto the hope that Anisimov was brought here because Gusev is on his way. They have legit chemistry on the ice together.

To be clear I wasn’t saying the money wasn’t a factor, I just don’t care if they save money on a move while getting a better player and not getting a diminished return. IMO the players are in different tiers offensively.

Absolutley.  Smith is a black hole offensively.

So is Anisimov unless playing with Kane, Panarin, DeBrincat, Saad, Schmaltz or Kahun.

Both Anisimov and Smith aren’t play drivers. I just don’t want anyone pretending or thinking that we got someone that will be anything more than a trade piece. And when trying to figure out what that trade piece might be, please see the diminishing returns that Anisimov has fetched when being traded by three NHL teams. Rick Nash, then Saad, now Smith. I see regression and you will be lucky to get a 4th for him at the deadline, because unlike Smith, Anisimov can’t play in what is very obvious a different game in the playoffs.

He's a huge body that has high IQ and can and will stand in front of the net and mess with goalies. Smith was useless. If people wanted him for the playoffs, they weren't even willing to take him for free. This is a dime a dozen player.

Anisimov, with his high hockey IQ and penchant for standing in front of the net can regain his 20 goal form IMO - and without issue. Smith will be lucky to be playing on Chicago by the playoffs, they'll wear real thin of his 'forechecking' and losing and being invisible night in and night out.

Great trade.

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Not that I'm necessarily pro-Anisimov, but I know about him and think he'll be decent here - and we got him for absolutely free - with little money owed which makes him an asset for us in the future. That's the basic gist. And I DO think he'll get back to 20 goals on Ottawa.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
I know what you meant by kid, but Gusev in 27 and in his prime.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

If that’s the deal that it took to get it done, Vegas would have pulled the trigger. They probably want more.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

If that’s the deal that it took to get it done, Vegas would have pulled the trigger. They probably want more.

I don't see how they can ask for more, but maybe. They must want someone to take on a contract of theirs. What a mismanaged team. Look at their defence - and they're at the cap. What are they doing??

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

If that’s the deal that it took to get it done, Vegas would have pulled the trigger. They probably want more.



I don't see how they can ask for more, but maybe.  They must want someone to take on a contract of theirs.  What a mismanaged team.  Look at their defence - and they're at the cap.  What are they doing??

Well from what I read it’s Gusev that they only need to trade and they’ll be ok. They have all summer to make that happen so why the hurry. See if someone ponies up a better offer.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

If that’s the deal that it took to get it done, Vegas would have pulled the trigger. They probably want more.



I don't see how they can ask for more, but maybe.  They must want someone to take on a contract of theirs.  What a mismanaged team.  Look at their defence - and they're at the cap.  What are they doing??

Well from what I read it’s Gusev that they only need to trade and they’ll be ok. They have all summer to make that happen so why the hurry. See if someone ponies up a better offer.

Really? That's a pretty close shave, they're right at the cap, but I guess it can be done, not really sure.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

If that’s the deal that it took to get it done, Vegas would have pulled the trigger. They probably want more.



I don't see how they can ask for more, but maybe.  They must want someone to take on a contract of theirs.  What a mismanaged team.  Look at their defence - and they're at the cap.  What are they doing??

Well from what I read it’s Gusev that they only need to trade and they’ll be ok. They have all summer to make that happen so why the hurry. See if someone ponies up a better offer.

Not sure where you read that or why you believe that? It isn’t true in the slightest. Vegas is way over the cap already with Gusev having a salary of 0 because he isn’t signed. Add in that Vegas has 2 more bodies to add to their cap and you can see the need to not only add bodies, but shed salary too. They have a pressing need for the two salaries they add, to be Dmen. They need help.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:In a vacuum, it’s a good deal. I like that someone told Dorion that Chicago needed cap room. I hope he knows about Vegas.

Yeah, I'd toss one of our 2nds for that Russian kid.

If that’s the deal that it took to get it done, Vegas would have pulled the trigger. They probably want more.



I don't see how they can ask for more, but maybe.  They must want someone to take on a contract of theirs.  What a mismanaged team.  Look at their defence - and they're at the cap.  What are they doing??

Well from what I read it’s Gusev that they only need to trade and they’ll be ok. They have all summer to make that happen so why the hurry. See if someone ponies up a better offer.

Not sure where you read that or why you believe that? It isn’t true in the slightest. Vegas is way over the cap already with Gusev having a salary of 0 because he isn’t signed. Add in that Vegas has 2 more bodies to add to their cap and you can see the need to not only add bodies, but shed salary too. They have a pressing need for the two salaries they add, to be Dmen. They need help.
A quick look at clarkson’s Contract shows me that he’s owed 5. Some million but they are over by 3.5 mill and some.now they can be over by how much in the off season? 10%? That’s 8 mill. Unless my calculations are wrong they are still a couple mill under with a roster of 21. Where’s the problem? They still have all summer to trade Gutsev. Now I’m not speaking about regular seasons and all but as it stands today I think they are alright. Of course I’m no capologist

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Nor is McPhee a capologist.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:Nor is McPhee a capologist.

You don’t think big spending Vegas didn’t hire someone who’s well capable in that department?

To be fair having too many assets and valuable players isn’t a problem for an organization. You can trade away players for other assets. Chicago did that for years. I know they aren’t that good right now but they’re starting to reload. Having that luxury of trading players for assets while spending assets to stay competitive has shown to be a pretty good model.
It’s bad contracts you have to worry about.those that you have to pay for others to take on.

I don’t see Vegas in any situation (yet) where they should worry.
The only two contracts that might bite them in a few years is Fleury and Pacioretty(and even Pacioretty isn’t long in term.)

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Has anyone heard anything about a Chabot contract?
I know mums the word in Ottawa on contract talks but I think if he starts the season without one it might be telling of his intentions to commit long term.
Not to sound like an alarmist but it would go a long way to have chabots and Tkachuks next contracts to take them into an 8 year deal(a bridge might be best for the players but not so good for team psyche)

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:Has anyone heard anything about a Chabot contract?
I know mums the word in Ottawa on contract talks but I think if he starts the season without one it might be telling of his intentions to commit long term.
Not to sound like an alarmist but it would go a long way to have chabots and Tkachuks next contracts to take them into an 8 year deal(a bridge might be best for the players but not so good for team psyche)

IMO it won’t be telling because a ton of RFAs on better and more richer teams are not signing before becoming RFA. Ideally he does sign at least 5 years though.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Has anyone heard anything about a Chabot contract?
I know mums the word in Ottawa on contract talks but I think if he starts the season without one it might be telling of his intentions to commit long term.
Not to sound like an alarmist but it would go a long way to have chabots and Tkachuks next contracts to take them into an 8 year deal(a bridge might be best for the players but not so good for team psyche)

IMO it won’t be telling because a ton of RFAs on better and more richer teams are not signing before becoming RFA. Ideally he does sign at least 5 years though.

yes but that 5 year thing isn't ideal either. That might come back to bite Toronto in the Donkey too. they're likely confident that they can resign them but i'll be laughing if they lose Matthews after that contract.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Nor is McPhee a capologist.

You don’t think big spending Vegas didn’t hire someone who’s well capable in that department?

To be fair having too many assets and valuable players isn’t a problem for an organization. You can trade away players for other assets. Chicago did that for years. I know they aren’t that good right now but they’re starting to reload. Having that luxury of trading players for assets while spending assets to stay competitive has shown to be a pretty good model.
It’s bad contracts you have to worry about.those that you have to pay for others to take on.

I don’t see Vegas in any situation (yet) where they should worry.
The only two contracts that might bite them in a few years is Fleury and Pacioretty(and even Pacioretty isn’t long in term.)

I think they did and those guys didn't do a great job or McPhee didn't listen.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 49 of 55]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 55  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum