You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 53 ... 57  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 57]

Ev


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:Has anyone heard anything about a Chabot contract?
I know mums the word in Ottawa on contract talks but I think if he starts the season without one it might be telling of his intentions to commit long term.
Not to sound like an alarmist but it would go a long way to have chabots and Tkachuks next contracts to take them into an 8 year deal(a bridge might be best for the players but not so good for team psyche)

IMO it won’t be telling because a ton of RFAs on better and more richer teams are not signing before becoming RFA. Ideally he does sign at least 5 years though.

Flo The Action


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Has anyone heard anything about a Chabot contract?
I know mums the word in Ottawa on contract talks but I think if he starts the season without one it might be telling of his intentions to commit long term.
Not to sound like an alarmist but it would go a long way to have chabots and Tkachuks next contracts to take them into an 8 year deal(a bridge might be best for the players but not so good for team psyche)

IMO it won’t be telling because a ton of RFAs on better and more richer teams are not signing before becoming RFA. Ideally he does sign at least 5 years though.

yes but that 5 year thing isn't ideal either. That might come back to bite Toronto in the Donkey too. they're likely confident that they can resign them but i'll be laughing if they lose Matthews after that contract.

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Nor is McPhee a capologist.

You don’t think big spending Vegas didn’t hire someone who’s well capable in that department?

To be fair having too many assets and valuable players isn’t a problem for an organization. You can trade away players for other assets. Chicago did that for years. I know they aren’t that good right now but they’re starting to reload. Having that luxury of trading players for assets while spending assets to stay competitive has shown to be a pretty good model.
It’s bad contracts you have to worry about.those that you have to pay for others to take on.

I don’t see Vegas in any situation (yet) where they should worry.
The only two contracts that might bite them in a few years is Fleury and Pacioretty(and even Pacioretty isn’t long in term.)

I think they did and those guys didn't do a great job or McPhee didn't listen.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I would guess Chabot only gets some sort of bridge contract given our owner's financial problems and also why would Chabot want to stick around here......and it probably doesn't happen until a year from now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Maybe, but we have to pay someone, might as well be our best player, right? Money is a big thing too, give him his 8.5 to 9 mil and call it a day. Again, melnyk has to pay someone eventually.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Thomson had a very good game against the Swiss today. Smart decisions and very active in all situations.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yeah, read that. Was it streamed?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, not the greatest feed but it always picked up where it paused.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Thomson is officially playing in Finland next year which I have no issue with personally

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
I agree. Good spot for his development.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Definitely. That's fine.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Saw some highlights - which were not in great quality, but I'm starting to see the Klingberg comparisons.

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
I'll take a Klingberg comparison but we also need defencemen who play nasty and can defend. 5 PMDs and Jaros might be too soft a group (Chabot, Brannstrom, wolanin, Thomson, JBD). We need a Methot type

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'll take a Klingberg comparison but we also need defencemen who play nasty and can defend. 5 PMDs and Jaros might be too soft a group (Chabot, Brannstrom, wolanin, Thomson, JBD). We need a Methot type

I disagree about needing a limited one dimensional Dman like Methot to help our PMDmen. You don’t need it. Our puck movers are all decent at separating players from the puck with positioning and active sticks. Once they’ve done that, if our forwards recognize it fast enough, we can break the zone with our strength in puck moving. The game is changing. I’m not saying I don’t or didnt want a plug veteran like Schenn or Polak or best case help Vegas when they needed it and take cap in exchange for McNabb or Engelland. Zaitsev and Hainsey are close but meh.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Every once in awhile I forget that there won’t be any legitimate NHLer voluntarily sign in Ottawa or waive a clause to be traded here. The only way we will get a legit player is via trade if that player doesn’t have a trade clause to stop it. Even then, that player won’t stay for long as legit players need to be paid more eventually. Drafting is our only hope and even then after the ELC is over, I have my doubts. Reading how low our actually salary is this year versus cap hit is really embarrassing for Sens fans.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:Every once in awhile I forget that there won’t be any legitimate NHLer voluntarily sign in Ottawa or waive a clause to be traded here. The only way we will get a legit player is via trade if that player doesn’t have a trade clause to stop it. Even then, that player won’t stay for long as legit players need to be paid more eventually. Drafting is our only hope and even then after the ELC is over, I have my doubts. Reading how low our actually salary is this year versus cap hit is really embarrassing for Sens fans.

It's not embarrassing at all right now, because theoretically this is all part of that rebuild scheme. You purge the big $$ players for picks and prospects and you have about 2 years at the bottom where you should be paying little to nothing, THEN you pay.

The problem is, no one in the world trusts Melnyk to spend when the time comes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'll take a Klingberg comparison but we also need defencemen who play nasty and can defend. 5 PMDs and Jaros might be too soft a group (Chabot, Brannstrom, wolanin, Thomson, JBD). We need a Methot type

I disagree about needing a limited one dimensional Dman like Methot to help our PMDmen. You don’t need it. Our puck movers are all decent at separating players from the puck with positioning and active sticks. Once they’ve done that, if our forwards recognize it fast enough, we can break the zone with our strength in puck moving. The game is changing. I’m not saying I don’t or didnt want a plug veteran like Schenn or Polak or best case help Vegas when they needed it and take cap in exchange for McNabb or Engelland. Zaitsev and Hainsey are close but meh.

I have to agree, I'll take all the Klingbergs in the world over big, no skill D-men. No one can touch Chabot so it becomes moot on how big he is.

I will say that I wouldn't mind our 3rd pairing guy with Jaros to be big though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Well you can debate his talent but Zaitsev did waive to come here

I’m still of the belief that Melnyk will sell soon, but in the meantime if the payroll is low just keep stockpiling picks and prospects along with current core players and we will be good in a few years. Different sport but look at the Tampa Bay Rays who have the lowest payroll in the league and are currently playing really well and in a wild card position.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 57]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 53 ... 57  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum