You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » Pacific » Calgary Flames » New Flames arena pretty much a done deal?

New Flames arena pretty much a done deal?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
https://www.tsn.ca/tentative-agreement-struck-in-calgary-for-flames-new-arena-replacing-the-saddledome-1.1340680

- Unknown Author

2New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:23 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I guess it was a matter of time. Maybe this helps things in Ottawa move along a little

3New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:I guess it was a matter of time. Maybe this helps things in Ottawa move along a little

I haven't been in a new arena since the Sens first built the Palladium. Should be pretty impressive with the latest and greatest in design elements.

- Unknown Author

4New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I guess it was a matter of time. Maybe this helps things in Ottawa move along a little

I haven't been in a new arena since the Sens first built the Palladium.  Should be pretty impressive with the latest and greatest in design elements.

I'm sure it will be impressive. which we could know how that feels Facepalm

5New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:17 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
One thing I do not agree with at all is kicking in public funds. Jim Watson has said all along there will be $0 public funds used to build a new arena, and I hope that we stick to that.

6New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:One thing I do not agree with at all is kicking in public funds.  Jim Watson has said all along there will be $0 public funds used to build a new arena, and I hope that we stick to that.

City of Calgary is paying half and if that's what it takes so be it. Also don't mind because I live the city of Strathmore Smile

- Unknown Author

7New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:One thing I do not agree with at all is kicking in public funds.  Jim Watson has said all along there will be $0 public funds used to build a new arena, and I hope that we stick to that.

Really? i completely disagree. hockey isn't the only thing that gets funded by governments and municipalities. anything that will help the development of an area, accelerating job growth and having a spillover effect in economic boost should be considered in funding. it's basic Keynesian economics.
I fully back cities getting involved in helping with the cost. now there might be provisions for returns for the city as well. it doesn't mean free money...

8New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Amen. A big misrepresentation of public finding for arenas is "paying for millionaire players". These players will get their millions whether it's here or elsewhere. At least you get to collect 40% it their salaries in taxes, plus residential taxes from their "mansions". And if they go elsewhere you will also miss the 1000s of jobs created directly and indirectly by the arena. A downtown arena will certainly get a lot more dates (hockey is typically fewer than 50 nights unless you go real deep).

Public money is spent way too readily on all large, local business, but somehow a hockey team is blocked out?

9New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Looks like a done deal!

https://canoe.com/opinion/columnists/bell-arena-is-yes-in-one-week-quickie-summer-deal/wcm/b21660f7-5b86-40b9-965a-5f406377639e

- Unknown Author

10New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:01 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Looks like a done deal!

https://canoe.com/opinion/columnists/bell-arena-is-yes-in-one-week-quickie-summer-deal/wcm/b21660f7-5b86-40b9-965a-5f406377639e

Sorry calagarians for having to read through that article. That was a painful piece of journalism.
But I’m happy they will get a new arena. Tightens the screws a little on something eventually happening in Ottawa and the city paying some of the costs.

11New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Maybe they can save a little by getting Lucic to help out moving in. He's not fast but he's still pretty strong.

12New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Looks like a done deal!

Sorry calagarians for having to read through that article. That was a painful piece of journalism.
But I’m happy they will get a new arena. Tightens the screws a little on something eventually happening in Ottawa and the city paying some of the costs.

I never actually read it to be honest. Just put it there so you knew the source LOL. Sarcasm

- Unknown Author

13New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? Empty Re: New Flames arena pretty much a done deal? on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:24 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Looks like they're aiming for the 2024/25 season to start playing in the new arena.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-news/new-arena-could-be-ready-for-flames-2024-2025-season/wcm/2395e94c-b86d-440d-9513-9b2b3e843ad5

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum