What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:52 am

    LeCaptain wrote:Myeah I have it on vinyl and I wouldn't put it in my top 20. It's a good album but there are a few that I prefer.
    And Waters is a dickhead anyway Smile

    He's a complete ***hole, but he, Gilmour et. al have made some killer albums. Their string of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall are near perfection.

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:Myeah I have it on vinyl and I wouldn't put it in my top 20. It's a good album but there are a few that I prefer.
    And Waters is a dickhead anyway Smile

    I used to actually like Pink Floyd until CHEZ 106 ruined it with their constant playing of their stuff. I actually liked them a lot now I can barely stand them. It's actually pretty incredible what CHEZ 106 has done come to think of it.

    Why do you listen to radio? I have to say...I can't stand not being in control of what I listen to.

    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Ev on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 pm

    I listen to satellite radio. I myself don't like picking songs because I never know what I want to listen to.

    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by spader on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 pm

    I'm using spotify's free service. I don't think I'll even bother storing music on my phone anymore. It's so good.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:42 pm

    I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47674
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:45 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:The Monkees are there tonight which would actually be a laugh.

    Are you a believer?

    A while back (must've been the early '80s) I saw this time-traveling movie with one of the Monkees in it.  It actually wasn't half bad (although I see it's not rated very high on IMDB -- but what do they know).  Time Rider - the Adventure of Lyle Swann.  Not the best movie title, have to admit.  Michael Nesmith co-wrote it and also had a small part in it I think.  And I see it's now available on bluray Smile http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086443/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_6

    Is this AKA "Time Rider?" with a cool looking motorcycle and title graphics on the cover? I never got around to watching that. It must be good if IMDB says it isn't.

    Their most acclaimed movies star Frank "I Cheetah All the Time" D'Angelo. No foolin'.

    I like Fred Ward (he plays the titular Lyle Swann, the motorcycle rider). Loved another one of his '80s movies -- Remo Williams - the Adventure Begins. Another weird title. That one had Joel Grey (emcee from Cabaret and father of "Baby" from Dirty Dancing) playing an ancient Korean martial arts master who trains Fred Ward. Also includes a very young "Captain Janeway" (who is now "Red" on Orange is the New Black) in one of her first roles.

    Oh, and lookie here:
    http://www.avclub.com/article/remo-williams-coming-back-big-screen-thanks-shane--208463

    I think this is sort-of a re-make (as opposed to a continuation of the story).


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24758
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 pm

    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:The Monkees are there tonight which would actually be a laugh.

    Are you a believer?

    A while back (must've been the early '80s) I saw this time-traveling movie with one of the Monkees in it.  It actually wasn't half bad (although I see it's not rated very high on IMDB -- but what do they know).  Time Rider - the Adventure of Lyle Swann.  Not the best movie title, have to admit.  Michael Nesmith co-wrote it and also had a small part in it I think.  And I see it's now available on bluray Smile http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086443/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_6

    Is this AKA "Time Rider?" with a cool looking motorcycle and title graphics on the cover? I never got around to watching that. It must be good if IMDB says it isn't.

    Their most acclaimed movies star Frank "I Cheetah All the Time" D'Angelo. No foolin'.

    I like Fred Ward (he plays the titular Lyle Swann, the motorcycle rider).  Loved another one of his '80s movies -- Remo Williams - the Adventure Begins.  Another weird title.  That one had Joel Grey (emcee from Cabaret and father of "Baby" from Dirty Dancing) playing an ancient Korean martial arts master who trains Fred Ward.  Also includes a very young "Captain Janeway" (who is now "Red" on Orange is the New Black) in one of her first roles.

    Oh, and lookie here:
    http://www.avclub.com/article/remo-williams-coming-back-big-screen-thanks-shane--208463

    I think this is sort-of a re-make (as opposed to a continuation of the story).

    I liked Remo Williams and I thought it would have made a good movie franchise. I saw it at Rideau Centre when it first came out. I watched it again when it was on "Hollywood Suite" a few months ago. It's also a series of books.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16254
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:05 pm

    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs. I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data. My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47674
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:23 pm

    Should I change the title of this thread to "What some old farts watched in the '80s"?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12924
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:49 pm

    I have free Spotify with my phone contract for the next two years and I can't be bothered to instal it. Most of the music I listen to has probably never had radio AirPlay so I'm not even sure it would be on Spotify.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:06 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs.  I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data.  My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.  

    Do you use bluetooth speakers?
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16254
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:22 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs.  I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data.  My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.  

    Do you use bluetooth speakers?

    Indeed I do. Just one, to be exact.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:06 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs.  I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data.  My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.  

    Do you use bluetooth speakers?

    Indeed I do.  Just one, to be exact.

    I might invest in one at some point soon. The one I wanted was 120 though, so it'll have to wait a bit.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12924
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:13 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs.  I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data.  My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.  

    Do you use bluetooth speakers?

    Indeed I do.  Just one, to be exact.

    I might invest in one at some point soon.  The one I wanted was 120 though, so it'll have to wait a bit.

    I bought this one last year
    http://www.harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ONYX+STUDIO+2.html?dwvar_ONYX%20STUDIO%202_color=Black#start=1

    I'm pretty satisfied in terms of sound but don't be fooled by the playing time saying up to 5 hours. Without it being plugged in, if you are wanting to play it loud you've only got about an hour's worth of juice. That! Was disappointing. But sound is amazing.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16254
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:18 pm

    I wanted something that was durable, waterproof, and with great sound and battery life. So I spent way too much money:

    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/fugoo-fugoo-tough-xl-portable-bluetooth-speaker-black-silver-fxltfks01/10394384.aspx

    It's pretty great, but my god, expensive.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 29
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by LeCaptain on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:30 pm

    I'm waiting for this:

    http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/07/13/subpac-bass-vest/

    Ahhhhh!
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54243
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:31 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs.  I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data.  My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.  

    Do you use bluetooth speakers?

    Indeed I do.  Just one, to be exact.

    I might invest in one at some point soon.  The one I wanted was 120 though, so it'll have to wait a bit.

    I bought this one last year
    http://www.harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ONYX+STUDIO+2.html?dwvar_ONYX%20STUDIO%202_color=Black#start=1

    I'm pretty satisfied in terms of sound but don't be fooled by the playing time saying up to 5 hours. Without it being plugged in, if you are wanting to play it loud you've only got about an hour's worth of juice. That! Was disappointing. But sound is amazing.

    $300 bucks later though.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12924
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:37 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I like Spotify as well, but I can't use it offline yet, so it sucks back the data like crazy.

    Spotify is great and is absolutely worth subscribing to for like $12 per month or whatever it costs.  I love the feature of downloading songs for offline playing...it's great for camping, in the car, and wherever else you may not have WiFi so you're not sucking down phone data.  My playlist on it currently has about 32 hours of music and is constantly growing.  

    Do you use bluetooth speakers?

    Indeed I do.  Just one, to be exact.

    I might invest in one at some point soon.  The one I wanted was 120 though, so it'll have to wait a bit.

    I bought this one last year
    http://www.harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ONYX+STUDIO+2.html?dwvar_ONYX%20STUDIO%202_color=Black#start=1

    I'm pretty satisfied in terms of sound but don't be fooled by the playing time saying up to 5 hours. Without it being plugged in, if you are wanting to play it loud you've only got about an hour's worth of juice. That! Was disappointing. But sound is amazing.

    $300 bucks later though.
    I bought mine for 200 around Boxing Day(back then it was 450$ advertised).If you can wait till Boxing Day you are going to get some major discounts on this sort of buy.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47674
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by wprager on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 am

    Quick question -- what's the use case for a portable speaker? I know the kids on my son's team liked to play music in the dressing room before games, so that's one. In general, though, isn't blaring your (personal) music to those around you considered a little, what would be the word, selfish? If you have a party, different story, of course, but then do you need a portable one? In the vast majority of other situations I'd simply use a headset (bluetooth or otherwise).

    P.S. And I say this after convincing my daughter that my son would love a bluetooth speaker as a Christmas gift (I got Amazon Prime on a free trial before Christmas and had all the kids do the gift matrix online -- they had an $80 speaker for $20, which was roughly the budget). It sat there in its box until around March, at which point he brought it downstairs for a while (not sure why, because our soundbar used for the TV does bluetooth and he never bothered pairing to that one).


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 am