What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Share

    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PKC on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:24 pm

    Anyone ever heard of Rhydian Roberts? He won one of those seasons of Britain's xfactor TV show...absolutely sensational.

    His voice is so rich, so powerful....just pure joy to listen to.

    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Tuk Tuk on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:41 pm

    Check out the band Boyce Avenue. Amazing voice, amazing guitar, and amazing writing.








    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by spader on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 am

    It is imperative that everyone reading this check out Midlake. The album is called The Trials of Van Occupanther and it is something special.
    avatar
    Jordo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 675
    Location : Kanata, Ont.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Jordo on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 am

    Ten albums I couldn't live without (in no order):

    The Beatles: Abbey Road
    Notorious B.I.G- Ready 2 Die
    Rage Against the Machine- Evil Empire
    Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy
    Sublime- Sublime
    The Roots- Tipping Point
    Tragically Hip- Day for Night
    Kings of Leon- Only by the Night
    Neil Young- After the Goldrush
    Protest the Hero- Kezia

    Newer albums to check out:
    Muse- The Resistance (a harder rock radiohead)
    This is a Standoff- Be Disappointed (fast, hard, punkish rock)
    Crush Luther- Some People Have No Good to Give (softer rock)

    SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5649
    Age : 37
    Location : Dorchester, NB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SensFan71 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 am

    Jordo wrote:Ten albums I couldn't live without (in no order):

    The Beatles: Abbey Road
    Notorious B.I.G- Ready 2 Die
    Rage Against the Machine- Evil Empire
    Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy
    Sublime- Sublime
    The Roots- Tipping Point
    Tragically Hip- Day for Night
    Kings of Leon- Only by the Night
    Neil Young- After the Goldrush
    Protest the Hero- Kezia

    Newer albums to check out:
    Muse- The Resistance (a harder rock radiohead)
    This is a Standoff- Be Disappointed (fast, hard, punkish rock)
    Crush Luther- Some People Have No Good to Give (softer rock)

    Day for Night was the first CD I was ever given and to this day still the best one I own and is always in the car for any time I get in. One of the best arrangements of tracks ever in my mind, but am a huge hip fan, so possibly biased a bit.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:54 am

    If you like/liked Alice in Chains, their new disc is really, really good from what I've heard so far. It's uncanny how much the new guy sounds like Layne. Awesome stuff so far.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 pm

    In one of those odd things, I had never really given Pink Floyd The Wall a good listen too. I have all the other Floyd discs, but for whatever reason I never had my own copy of The Wall.

    I picked it up Sunday and it's just Diddling amazing. Holy Dung.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:If you like/liked Alice in Chains, their new disc is really, really good from what I've heard so far. It's uncanny how much the new guy sounds like Layne. Awesome stuff so far.

    Jerry Cantrell sounds like Layne too. I only heard the single. I kinda like it but the off-speed sounding music is a little tough to take.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:09 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:If you like/liked Alice in Chains, their new disc is really, really good from what I've heard so far. It's uncanny how much the new guy sounds like Layne. Awesome stuff so far.

    Jerry Cantrell sounds like Layne too. I only heard the single. I kinda like it but the off-speed sounding music is a little tough to take.

    It's all off-speed to be honest, but it's cool. The one on the radio Check my Brain is possibly the weakest of the first few.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:12 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:In one of those odd things, I had never really given Pink Floyd The Wall a good listen too. I have all the other Floyd discs, but for whatever reason I never had my own copy of The Wall.

    I picked it up Sunday and it's just Diddling amazing. Holy Dung.

    Alice Cooper's buddy, Bob Ezrin gets a lot of props for this. Unfortunately, CHEZ106 has turned me off Floyd. I do like See Emily Play, though.

    I bought The Wall at AandA in Cornwall on tape for 22 bucks back in the day.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Alice Cooper's buddy, Bob Ezrin gets a lot of props for this. Unfortunately, CHEZ106 has turned me off Floyd. I do like See Emily Play, though.

    I bought The Wall at AandA in Cornwall on tape for 22 bucks back in the day.

    That's Peter Gabriel's producer on the first album he made post-Genesis as well. He's an amazing producer - made Comfortably Numb what it is today apparently.

    And then Alan Parsons produced Dark Side of the Moon.

    Great producers = great albums for the most part.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Alice Cooper's buddy, Bob Ezrin gets a lot of props for this. Unfortunately, CHEZ106 has turned me off Floyd. I do like See Emily Play, though.

    I bought The Wall at AandA in Cornwall on tape for 22 bucks back in the day.

    That's Peter Gabriel's producer on the first album he made post-Genesis as well. He's an amazing producer - made Comfortably Numb what it is today apparently.

    And then Alan Parsons produced Dark Side of the Moon.

    Great producers = great albums for the most part.

    He got his break when Jack Richardson (Guess Who, Badfinger, Bob Seger...) wasn't available to produce Love it to Death.

    Ezrin got Alice to sing "I gotta get out here" while buried under folding chairs to get an authentic feeling in the vocals... Pretty much a genius.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:34 pm

    He must be indeed. The Wall and Peter Gabriel 1 are incredible.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:04 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:He must be indeed. The Wall and Peter Gabriel 1 are incredible.

    Indeed.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am

    This:

    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:39 am

    That's awesome. Lee Michaels, huh? Have to check more of his stuff out.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am

    One of the best pieces from The Wall. Gilmour's solo is clean and searing.

    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:53 am

    SpezDispenser wrote:That's awesome. Lee Michaels, huh? Have to check more of his stuff out.

    Isn't that nuts? That was the show. Him and a drummer. Period.

    He's a one-hit wonder on the strength of a single called "Do You Know What I Mean".

    "Clean and searing" defines Gilmour's playing nicely.

    Since you're interested in guitar playing it's worth noting that part of Bob Ezrin's success can be attributed to bringing in Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter along as session guitarists, including on the Peter Gabriel (I) album.

    Sponsored content

    Re: What Am I Listening to Right now?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 pm