Which top 6 will Brian Murray target?

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target?

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 am

Acrobat wrote:

I can dream, no?

Seriously, isn't RL a UFA next year? And doesn't he want out so he can come back East?
    Send them Gerber, Elliot and two firsts. Conditional on an extension.

OK, no. I'm tired. But I tried.

Luongo's got 2 more years left on his deal. I wouldn't think that he's going anywhere this year.

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:40 am

wprager wrote:

Personally I think that BM is simply not targetting another top-six at this time. A PMD is what we need NOW (especially with the clock ticking on Meszaros); a T6F is what we *might* need at the trade deadline.

I agree 100% here. If we're shopping, I really hope it's for an offensive D like Boucher. Picking up another forward would bump Foligno down on the depth chart to the 3rd line, for one thing, and I'm not sure that would be a good idea. He needs a good long look at the top 6 to have a real chance at developing. If it doesn't work out, well, then we just do what we do every year -- try to acquire another top-6 forward in January/February.

I think people are talking about this issue, tho', because there are plenty of signs suggesting that Murray IS looking for another forward: his Team 1200 interview 3 weeks ago, Dawg's comments, Eklund's rumours (whatever their worth), etc. I don't see why we would be, but I have to trust that Murray has a plan.

Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cronie on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:46 am

rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Personally I think that BM is simply not targetting another top-six at this time. A PMD is what we need NOW (especially with the clock ticking on Meszaros); a T6F is what we *might* need at the trade deadline.

I agree 100% here. If we're shopping, I really hope it's for an offensive D like Boucher. Picking up another forward would bump Foligno down on the depth chart to the 3rd line, for one thing, and I'm not sure that would be a good idea. He needs a good long look at the top 6 to have a real chance at developing. If it doesn't work out, well, then we just do what we do every year -- try to acquire another top-6 forward in January/February.

I think people are talking about this issue, tho', because there are plenty of signs suggesting that Murray IS looking for another forward: his Team 1200 interview 3 weeks ago, Dawg's comments, Eklund's rumours (whatever their worth), etc. I don't see why we would be, but I have to trust that Murray has a plan.

Murray definitely has something or two up his sleeve, perhaps the proverbial Ace is still tucked away up there, who knows??

This is how conspiracy theories arise, but I tend to believe that since Murray has implemented that gag order and TOTAL lockdown on his office and staff, part me believes that he has/had a very strong reason for doing so, besides plugging a media leak or two: I think he has a deal or two that he wants NO one to know about until it's announced. It could be a significant deal for a significant player or a small deal or lateral move, I'm not sure, but with his complete lockdown of news tells me he's up to something...

Oh, and i agree, Boucher would be a great acquisition in my view, and I've also been saying for a few weeks now that Foligno and Bass are going to have an AMAZING year... Shocked!
    jamvan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1630
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by jamvan on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:49 am

504Heater wrote:What about Ryan Clowe?
    Clowe has been resigned a week and a half ago and for really cheap.

Could is be O'sullivan????
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:44 am

rooneypoo wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    Acrobat wrote:JJ

Salary fits.
    Position fits.
    Not necessarily what I would call "young", but definitely not old (1.812 next year, then RFA with arb next year)
    Def. underrated.
    Def. a physical force.

I approve.
    Not that it makes a whiff of a difference.

Send them Neil and a third, and call it a day.

Draft pick or low to mid-range prospect does it. They need to shed forwards, not add anymore.

I don't know if that would be all it takes. I have to imagine TB is looking for a little help on the backend. My guess is that if they move Jokinen and another forward or two, they're going to do it to pick up a D.

I really actually don't believe so. I think if they wanted defensive help, then they probably wouldn't have traded Boyle to San Jose. I think in the mind of the GM, this is the team they want to start the season with, trading the surplus of forwards might be a move to replenish the farm.

Picking up Jokinen in my estimation is such an underrated move, that by the end of the season it would surely make Bryan Murray look brilliant. I can't say for sure that I know for a fact that Tampa Bay would only accept a pick or prospect for Jokinen, but I really wouldn't think that we'd need to trade a roster player to acquire him unless they decided to throw in another body.

Hopefully Meszaros for Jokinen and Wishart.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:27 pm

PKC wrote:

I really actually don't believe so. I think if they wanted defensive help, then they probably wouldn't have traded Boyle to San Jose. I think in the mind of the GM, this is the team they want to start the season with, trading the surplus of forwards might be a move to replenish the farm.

Picking up Jokinen in my estimation is such an underrated move, that by the end of the season it would surely make Bryan Murray look brilliant. I can't say for sure that I know for a fact that Tampa Bay would only accept a pick or prospect for Jokinen, but I really wouldn't think that we'd need to trade a roster player to acquire him unless they decided to throw in another body.

Hopefully Meszaros for Jokinen and Wishart.

Look at TB's current defence: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TB

After Carle, Kuba, Ranger, and O'Brien, they've got 3 big question marks, and only O'Brien qualifies as something of a shut-down D. Boyle is a great offensive D, but he has never been much of a shut-down kind of guy, so trading him doesn't necessarily signal to me that their happy with their D. Given this, it seems quite likely that if they're looking to shed their excess forwards, they'll want to gain at least one defensive D in the process along with picks/prospects.

From TB's perspective, then, I think they'd probably have more interest in a guy like Schubert -- cheap, defensive D -- tho' I'm sure they'd take Mesz in a heartbeat. Again, tho', I really don't see us trading Mesz for so little, especially given the curernt state of our D. I'd be shocked to see us dealing away our best young puck-moving, offensive D for Jussi Jokinen.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:21 pm

At the risk of sounding like I have a man-crush on Mez (no, I dont want to sound like SF56 either), I have a real problem with trading him, even with the current issues. Recall that Alfie has the record for the most years started as a holdout, and he seems to have turned out alright.

Boucher would be a decent pickup, no questions, as would Schneider, however the latter is way expensive. Somehow, I am comfortable that without Ringo, Mez will return to form, and that Lee will develop as he should. If Dawg is even half-way right about Nycholat, then we have three decent PMD (servicable, anyhow), and if we can get Boucher, then four. The thing is, we also have Phillips, A-train, and Smith, and Murray has tipped his hand somewhat in picking up Bell, suggesting that he doesn't feel he has a shot at a better D.

Thus, I'm inclined to believe that he is really going after the T6f, and JJ is one of those that seems to fit the criteria for the short-list. It's tough to move Foligno down, but maybe Foligno moves to the opposite side and match him with Bass & Ruutu (if we trade Neil) - he adds a bit of scoring to the grit/energy line
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:12 pm

rooneypoo wrote:

Look at TB's current defence: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TB

After Carle, Kuba, Ranger, and O'Brien, they've got 3 big question marks, and only O'Brien qualifies as something of a shut-down D. Boyle is a great offensive D, but he has never been much of a shut-down kind of guy, so trading him doesn't necessarily signal to me that their happy with their D. Given this, it seems quite likely that if they're looking to shed their excess forwards, they'll want to gain at least one defensive D in the process along with picks/prospects.

From TB's perspective, then, I think they'd probably have more interest in a guy like Schubert -- cheap, defensive D -- tho' I'm sure they'd take Mesz in a heartbeat. Again, tho', I really don't see us trading Mesz for so little, especially given the curernt state of our D. I'd be shocked to see us dealing away our best young puck-moving, offensive D for Jussi Jokinen.

I have looked at it, and at the rest of the roster, and I don't think anyone's going to be confusing that roster for a defensive minded squad. And, it would seem to me that the new ownership wants a run and gun style offense to bring back some excitement to Tampa Bay, but I'm not too certain. At any rate, every team could use an extra player here or there, but I look at that roster and it looks pretty finished to me. A pretty good top 9, a decent (or possibly even mediocre) backend and a question mark in nets. But like I've said before, I have no idea what they would want for Jokinen, or for any other forwards they plan on trading, but my opinion is that they probably aren't looking for roster players. I guess I just hope we can somehow snag Jokinen, I really think he'd fit in real well on our club.
    jamvan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1630

Post by jamvan on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:16 pm

I was just talkign with Croney and another team that needs to shed salary is the Calgary Flames. What would your guys thoughts be of picking up Matthew Lombardi ??
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:19 pm

jamvan wrote:I was just talkign with Croney and another team that needs to shed salary is the Calgary Flames. What would your guys thoughts be of picking up Matthew Lombardi ??

I don't really think we need him. Although I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Aucoin if they'd be willing to accept McAmmond in return. Plus, he's from Ottawa too. Might be a nice addition to the top 4 and to the PP.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:25 pm

PKC wrote:
    I don't really think we need him. Although I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Aucoin if they'd be willing to accept McAmmond in return. Plus, he's from Ottawa too. Might be a nice addition to the top 4 and to the PP.

Aucoin has a salary this year of $4 mil. He'd be a great add, I admit, and I'm guessing that he is available, but I don't see how we can afford him right now. And I still like Boucher better and, with his cheap contract, he's a better fit.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:35 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    Aucoin has a salary this year of $4 mil. He'd be a great add, I admit, and I'm guessing that he is available, but I don't see how we can afford him right now. And I still like Boucher better and, with his cheap contract, he's a better fit.

Yeah, but Boucher is going to cost considerably more to acquire in a trade. Aucoin could be had for a song right now.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:36 pm

But now that you mention the salary thing, I'm looking at our roster and truly starting to believe that apart from re-signing Meszaros, maybe Murray is done making moves. He might be looking at acquiring Jokinen for the right price, but if that doesn't happen, then maybe he's actually happy with the roster he has and would be happy to keep a big amount of cap space reserved for the trade deadline. Might explain all the quiet surrounding the Sens.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:41 pm

PKC wrote:But now that you mention the salary thing, I'm looking at our roster and truly starting to believe that apart from re-signing Meszaros, maybe Murray is done making moves. He might be looking at acquiring Jokinen for the right price, but if that doesn't happen, then maybe he's actually happy with the roster he has and would be happy to keep a big amount of cap space reserved for the trade deadline. Might explain all the quiet surrounding the Sens.

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. I could definitely see a big move happen in the event that Mesz sits out the year though.

- Unknown Author
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:51 pm

PKC wrote:

Yeah, but Boucher is going to cost considerably more to acquire in a trade. Aucoin could be had for a song right now.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't really have a sense of what these teams want in return for guys they want off their roster. If it just means a slightly higher pick, however, I think it would certainly it worth it to go for Boucher.

As for the comment that we may be done shopping/dealing, I agree. I said this same point in another thread, in fact, this morning. Unless Mesz sits, I think there's a good chance that we stick with what we've got and bank the cap space -- which will probably be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $4 mil if the Mesz signing goes as expected and if, as I expect, 2 guys will get sent down -- and address any holes in our roster in January/February. Even setting aside $1 mil for call ups in the event of injury, that leaves us about $3 mil in space come February -- the equivalent of $12 mil at that point in the season.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54285

Post by PTFlea on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:55 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    PKC wrote:

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't really have a sense of what these teams want in return for guys they want off their roster. If it just means a slightly higher pick, however, I think it would certainly it worth it to go for Boucher.

As for the comment that we may be done shopping/dealing, I agree. I said this same point in another thread, in fact, this morning. Unless Mesz sits, I think there's a good chance that we stick with what we've got and bank the cap space -- which will probably be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $4 mil if the Mesz signing goes as expected and if, as I expect, 2 guys will get sent down -- and address any holes in our roster in January/February. Even setting aside $1 mil for call ups in the event of injury, that leaves us about $3 mil in space come February -- the equivalent of $12 mil at that point in the season.

I still don't understand why Dallas would get rid of Boucher. It's one of those things I guess, but if it was me, I would NOT trade him. Zubov has been injured fairly regularly recently, Daley is good, but let's not start gushing. Who else is left? Robidas? Leaving themselves a little thin IMO.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 pm

504Heater wrote:

I still don't understand why Dallas would get rid of Boucher. It's one of those things I guess, but if it was me, I would NOT trade him. Zubov has been injured fairly regularly recently, Daley is good, but let's not start gushing. Who else is left? Robidas? Leaving themselves a little thin IMO.

I hear you. I like Boucher, too, but he's name just keeps coming up in trade talks.

There are a number of legitimate reasons as to why Dallas might want to trade him, tho'. First, Boucher had an awful season last year and really struggled with nagging shoulder and leg injuries; in fact, he didn't play most of the playoffs for them, and the amazing thing is that they didn't really miss him because the young guys really stepped up for them. Second, he's 35 and headed for UFA this July, and I don't think Dallas plans on signing him thereafter, so it makes sense to try to cash in on him now (or in February). Third, their D is much stronger and younger than you might think: not only do they have Zubov for the PP, but Niskanen is emerging as a solid offensive D, and Robidas is not bad himself. Daley and Nick Grossman are also decent defenders, and so is Mark Fistric, who was called up last year for Boucher and played well in his absence. In fact, if they are looking to move Boucher and open up a roster a spot, I would imagine it's because they want to play Fistric full-time this year.

I'm not saying for sure Dallas is shopping Boucher -- who ever can? -- but I will say that it would make some sense from their perspective, especially if they think Fistric is ready to go full-time.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54285

Post by PTFlea on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:42 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    504Heater wrote:

I hear you. I like Boucher, too, but he's name just keeps coming up in trade talks.

There are a number of legitimate reasons as to why Dallas might want to trade him, tho'. First, Boucher had an awful season last year and really struggled with nagging shoulder and leg injuries; in fact, he didn't play most of the playoffs for them, and the amazing thing is that they didn't really miss him because the young guys really stepped up for them. Second, he's 35 and headed for UFA this July, and I don't think Dallas plans on signing him thereafter, so it makes sense to try to cash in on him now (or in February). Third, their D is much stronger and younger than you might think: not only do they have Zubov for the PP, but Niskanen is emerging as a solid offensive D, and Robidas is not bad himself. Daley and Nick Grossman are also decent defenders, and so is Mark Fistric, who was called up last year for Boucher and played well in his absence. In fact, if they are looking to move Boucher and open up a roster a spot, I would imagine it's because they want to play Fistric full-time this year.

I'm not saying for sure Dallas is shopping Boucher -- who ever can? -- but I will say that it would make some sense from their perspective, especially if they think Fistric is ready to go full-time.

I didn't know Fistric was on track to break in with the big club full time. Good analysis Rooney.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:56 pm