Proposal Challenge

    Share

    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by PKC on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:05 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    jamvan wrote:From what I've been told the 6th and final spot will come down to Nycholat and Schubert and that Murray won't even add another d at this time. He is still looking for forward help if the right guy came around.

    No disagreement here. I've been saying for a while now that, once Mesz is signed, we may not make any more moves, whether we arm-chair GMs agree or not. I think it highly likely that Nycholat and Schubert will battle for the 6th spot and that we'll bank the remaining cap space (which should be close to $4 mil) for moves down the line, should we need them.

    The whole Boucher suggestion was based on the premise that 'if' we were looking for affordable help on the blueline, an issue which many people seem to be wondering about.

    The only other move apart from resigning Meszaros that I'd like to see Murray make is to pick up Jussi Jokinen at a reasonable price and then try and move one of the B6F to gain a touch more cap space.

    Leave the money for the deadline to load up for a hopefully lengthy playoff run.

    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13624
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:23 pm

    I don't mind leaving some room for injuries and trade deadline deals but I don't think we should leave more than 1.5M in cushion for that.

    Mosky
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 211
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Mosky on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 pm

    I really wouldn't be surprised if we had a very different team from the start of this season going into the playoffs. I think Murray still has alot of moves left that he wants to do... My telekinesis link with Murray is telling me this :lol!:
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7429
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by rooneypoo on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:43 pm

    PKC wrote:

    The only other move apart from resigning Meszaros that I'd like to see Murray make is to pick up Jussi Jokinen at a reasonable price and then try and move one of the B6F to gain a touch more cap space.

    Leave the money for the deadline to load up for a hopefully lengthy playoff run.

    Meh, I'm lukewarn on Jokinen at best. The guy had a long, long look at a top-6 spot in Dallas and didn't do a whole lot with it. I think I'd rather keep that final top-6 spot open for Foligno, or if he makes it, Winchester, so that they get a fair chance to continue developing this year. Give Foligno a fair shot on a good line -- say, with Alfie/Vermette and Fisher -- and I think he'll do well. Because the Sens are a pretty deep team, we tend to insert young offensive players in checking roles and keep them there for too long -- look at Vermette -- and it's not good for them in the long run.

    As for shipping off a forward, I'm not sure about that. If Schubert shifts to the wing, we'll have 14 fowards, and my guess is that Bass and Winchester will be sent down. If Schubert gets that last D spot, my guess is either Bass or Winchester, and Nycholat will be sent down. It's possible that we send out a guy like McAmmond, I grant, but I think it more likely that we keep the organizational depth to start the season.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7429
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by rooneypoo on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:54 pm

    Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I don't mind leaving some room for injuries and trade deadline deals but I don't think we should leave more than 1.5M in cushion for that.

    I think it's very likely now that we don't spend much, if anything at all, after Meszaros signs. I'm betting that we'll have about $3.5 mil in cap space to start the season, give or take a few hundred thousand depending on how things play out with Nycholat/Schubert, Bass, and Winchester. We've already got more players than roster spots, after all, and this time of year is not exactly remarkable for its trades and player movement.

    Lots of cap space is a really handy thing, actually. It gives us lots of money to try out younger guys -- and my guess is that we'll see a little bit from Elliott and Zubov in particular this season -- and it gives us the option of a big deadline deal. I look at what Murray did last year in bringing in Stillman/Commodore and I start to think that he may well do something similar if the team needs it and the opportunity presents itself. If they become available, for instance, we might be able to use that space to go after Bouwmeester or Lehtonen. I'd much rather hold out for that option of acquiring long-term talent than spend the money on one-year fixes just for the sake of spending it.
    avatar
    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1271
    Age : 45
    Location : Turner Valley, Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Phoenix30 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 pm

    Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
    504Heater wrote:
    jamvan wrote:[
    Actually it's not a bad scenario and wouldn't it be ironic he joins the team the year after Ringo gets turfed? Question I would have is; do you think he'd come here?

    He could fit perfectly on the last pairing and be inserted into te PP.

    I don't know. I would assume he's grown up a bit and will play in Canada now, but I'll always hold that against him (franker). He would be a nice stop-gap though...

    As rooneypoo has said on many occassions and he's converted me LOL, I want Boucher if we can make it happen he'd be a solid pickup and we could keep Mesz in the fold and it would allow us a good Cap cushion.

    BTW Heater 2 more and you reach 200 posts!!!

    Boucher would be nice but if we were able to sign Berdard as a stop gap it wouldnt cost us any assets like Boucher would.
    avatar
    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1271
    Age : 45
    Location : Turner Valley, Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Phoenix30 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I don't mind leaving some room for injuries and trade deadline deals but I don't think we should leave more than 1.5M in cushion for that.

    I think it's very likely now that we don't spend much, if anything at all, after Meszaros signs. I'm betting that we'll have about $3.5 mil in cap space to start the season, give or take a few hundred thousand depending on how things play out with Nycholat/Schubert, Bass, and Winchester. We've already got more players than roster spots, after all, and this time of year is not exactly remarkable for its trades and player movement.

    Lots of cap space is a really handy thing, actually. It gives us lots of money to try out younger guys -- and my guess is that we'll see a little bit from Elliott and Zubov in particular this season -- and it gives us the option of a big deadline deal. I look at what Murray did last year in bringing in Stillman/Commodore and I start to think that he may well do something similar if the team needs it and the opportunity presents itself. If they become available, for instance, we might be able to use that space to go after Bouwmeester or Lehtonen. I'd much rather hold out for that option of acquiring long-term talent than spend the money on one-year fixes just for the sake of spending it.

    Wouldnt it be nice to get both Lehtonen and Bow...AHh wishful thinking but I agree though. I think this is the first time in a while we have as much available cap space going into the season and it would be nice to see Murray acquire young quality talent at the dead line that will stay beyond the year.
    avatar
    Sensational Spezza
    Prospect
    Prospect

    Number of posts : 17
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Sensational Spezza on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:57 am

    Trade Meszaros and Schubert to Tampa Bay for Jokinen, Helenius, and a 2nd round pick

    Trade the 4th round pick to Anaheim for Schneider

    Trade Neil and a 3rd in 2010 for Niklas Hjalmarsson

    Trade Dean McAmmond for a 4th/5th/6th/7th round pick

    Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
    Vermette - Fisher - Jokinen
    Winchester - Kelly - Nikulin
    Ruutu - Bass - Donovan

    Phillips - Schneider
    Volchenkov - Lee
    Smith - Hjalmarsson

    Gerber
    Auld
    Elliott
    avatar
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 3032
    Age : 37
    Location : East of Ottawa..
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Cronie on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:02 pm

    Sensational Spezza wrote:Trade Meszaros and Schubert to Tampa Bay for Jokinen, Helenius, and a 2nd round pick

    Trade the 4th round pick to Anaheim for Schneider

    Trade Neil and a 3rd in 2010 for Niklas Hjalmarsson

    Trade Dean McAmmond for a 4th/5th/6th/7th round pick

    Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
    Vermette - Fisher - Jokinen
    Winchester - Kelly - Nikulin
    Ruutu - Bass - Donovan

    Phillips - Schneider
    Volchenkov - Lee
    Smith - Hjalmarsson

    Gerber
    Auld
    Elliott

    Wow! While I like Schubert and wouldn't part with him easily, I really like your proposal... Nice dude. 8)

    Sponsored content

    Re: Proposal Challenge

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 am