Could be interesting. :lol!:

Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking

Post by Cronie on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 am

That's truly bizarre coming from Gainey. And he has a great Hockey IQ and I can't help but look up to him and respect him for all of his feats and achievements, but this suggestion reeks of arse-kissing to Bettman to further games of 9-4 or 12-6...

The scary thing is, Bettman would LOVE to do this... Limit shot-blocking and further reduce the size of goalie gear and just for good measure, increase the size of the nets and shrink the crease...
    LOL

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13619

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 am

Why don't they make it no contact as well? That should increase scoring. squirrel Sorry but this idea is worthy of the Monkey!!
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am

I have a hard time believing that came from Gainey... He's a little smarter than that...

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 am

smash88 wrote:I have a hard time believing that came from Gainey... He's a little smarter than that...

Here is a link
    http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/canadiens/story.html?id=ae045ccf-a2ba-4ded-a1e2-a50555dd07a8
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1772
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

Post by mattshock on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:39 am

I don't like this rule at all.

Why not suggest you can get penalized for skating backwards on D?

"This suggestion" squirrel
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13619

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:44 am

The Monkey has already made his point on page 1 dude :D

- Unknown Author
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:47 am

hemlock34 wrote:
    smash88 wrote:I have a hard time believing that came from Gainey... He's a little smarter than that...

Here is a link
    http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/canadiens/story.html?id=ae045ccf-a2ba-4ded-a1e2-a50555dd07a8

hmmm.. well ok... This 100 year anniversary thing must be starting to take it's toll, I think he's slowly going crazy... Well the 100 year thing, and the bloodhounds they call media in Montreal...
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by mattshock on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:49 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:The Monkey has already made his point on page 1 dude :D

:oops:

Perhaps the pig has something to say about it. 🐷 ... He'll get back to me.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 am

And once they change net size, what do we do with all the old scoring records?

As it is, some people feel that there are multiple "eras" in the NHL due to rule changes and different degrees of implementation.

Besides, as a father of a goalie, I can't support anything that will make it harder on my kid. And absolutely can't support a reduction in protective gear. (no matter what anyone says, any reduction in equipment size at this point will have to come at the expense of protection, and it has already been said that shooters are better, stronger and faster, thus goalies are already putting themselves in greater danger.)
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48173
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 am

Acrobat wrote:And once they change net size, what do we do with all the old scoring records?

As it is, some people feel that there are multiple "eras" in the NHL due to rule changes and different degrees of implementation.

Besides, as a father of a goalie, I can't support anything that will make it harder on my kid. And absolutely can't support a reduction in protective gear. (no matter what anyone says, any reduction in equipment size at this point will have to come at the expense of protection, and it has already been said that shooters are better, stronger and faster, thus goalies are already putting themselves in greater danger.)

"Eras" for records happens in every sport when they change the rules, and for the oldest team sport in North America (it is, isn't it?) hockey has, expectedly, had more rule changes than the others. What's troubling is that they don't seem to be slowing down. It's like "Process Improvement" initiatives in high-tech and other areas. Eventually you are humming along at an optimal click, and any "improvements" are bound to slow you down. Leave well-enough alone.

On the other hand, since the league and refs don't seem to be able to come to a consensus about enforcing the rules, I suppose we will continue to see changes.
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by mattshock on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:09 am

Acrobat wrote:And once they change net size, what do we do with all the old scoring records?

The line is where protection meets excessive padding.

I don't now how you'd regulate it, but there have to be 'some' controls in place.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Acrobat on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Looking at kid's gear, I don't believe there is excessive padding. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. Then again, it's my kid in front of the puck, so I might be biased. Correction - I am biased.

Adult gear isn't all that different, though. Just bigger.

My suggestion would be to leave the equipment alone for the most part; regulate it by taking away the "cheaters" only. That is, the shoulder risers (watch Gigueres shoulder pads move vs. Brodeurs - that's cheaters vs. no cheaters), the inner thigh, the knee risers, the inner arm/elbow, etc. They can keep the padding, just keep it tighter to the body. Right now, they cheat by having the padding "fly out" in certain positions only, so it's legal when it's checked, but in the "save" position, it is much larger. (Brilliant, though...)
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Acrobat on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:41 pm

wprager wrote:

"Eras" for records happens in every sport when they change the rules, and for the oldest team sport in North America (it is, isn't it?) hockey has, expectedly, had more rule changes than the others. What's troubling is that they don't seem to be slowing down. It's like "Process Improvement" initiatives in high-tech and other areas. Eventually you are humming along at an optimal click, and any "improvements" are bound to slow you down. Leave well-enough alone.

On the other hand, since the league and refs don't seem to be able to come to a consensus about enforcing the rules, I suppose we will continue to see changes.

So instead of changing the rules, just enforce them consistently for more than 34 seconds. Like all year.

And don't change once the playoffs start.

And give it a good chance to see what happens (five years is good).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm