Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Share

    beedub
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1036
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by beedub on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:27 pm

    Absolutely, a true #1 goalie can win a series on his own. A team with a proven star puck-stopper can get by with less talent up front, as the players develop a trust that their goalie will make the crucial stops and keep them in a game.

    Would I give up a Heatley or Affie, no, of course not. One is the heart, the other is the hammer of this team.

    Would I give up a Spezza? If the package was right (the star 'tender, a pick) I would do it.

    Laker
    Prospect
    Prospect

    Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by Laker on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

    I think it would be better to find the "next" elite goaltender. We can't afford an established one without dumping a top player.

    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by mattshock on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

    There was a time I agreed with you beedub, but I'm not so sure anymore.

    We all heard the rumours involving Luongo, and at the time I was all for it, but now? Not so much.

    If there's an upgrade available and the price is right, by all means, but I'm just not thinking a blockbuster for that #1 is what the team needs if it ends up costing a Spezza or a Heatley.
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by mattshock on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

    Laker wrote:I think it would be better to find the "next" elite goaltender. We can't afford an established one without dumping a top player.

    I heard that team down the 401 likes giving away future elite tenders.
    avatar
    Laker
    Prospect
    Prospect

    Number of posts : 59
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by Laker on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:31 pm

    beedub wrote:Absolutely, a true #1 goalie can win a series on his own. A team with a proven star puck-stopper can get by with less talent up front, as the players develop a trust that their goalie will make the crucial stops and keep them in a game.

    Would I give up a Heatley or Affie, no, of course not. One is the heart, the other is the hammer of this team.

    Would I give up a Spezza? If the package was right (the star 'tender, a pick) I would do it.

    I would rather give up Fisher ... but his trade value is lo
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by mattshock on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:24 pm

    And he has a NTC he wouldn't waive.

    I'm sure that, like those Alfie to LA rumours a couple years back, Fisher will bounce back.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:25 pm

    Hey guys I have a new Widget up with Video Highlight feeds in it. Go check it out. I can't as my work has the feeds blocked but let me know what you think.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54296
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:45 pm

    MurderOnIce wrote:I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. I think it may seem like a no brainer but in the end what would you give up to get a real #1 guy in Ottawa? If you look at Brodeur in NJ, they have been perrenial contenders and winners because of his steady goaltending. Roy won in Montreal and Colorado bringing Cups to both cities. If you look down the list the teams whose name appears on the cup more than once, it is usually accompanied by the same goalie as a #1 more than once.

    I think that the goal here is to win a Cup or more than one so to me, I think I would give up almost anything to solidify that position and we may flounder for a while until we solve that. A goalie can steal a game, a goalie can steal a series and in the case of Roy in Montreal I believe he stole them a cup. I want that kind of guy here and then I will sleep happy with dreams of a cup. We can't seem to develope one so I am thinking we need to poach....

    I would happily move a few assets and sign a Luongo or Nabokov to a MASSIVE contract on July 1. Like 9 or 10 million....that would make me very happy.
    avatar
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1565
    Age : 48
    Location : out to lunch...
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by Acrobat on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 pm

    That would be awesome for our back end, but we'd be left with nothing to pay our forwards with.

    If we add a $9M contract to the approx $31M (approximately - I didn't look it up) tied up in Alfie/Spezza/Heatley/Fisher, then consider that Phillips & A-train are up for renewal soon (say $4M each), we are left with $8M for the rest of the team, assuming a $56M cap.

    Not good. Maybe we say bye to Chris or Anton.

    I'm sure that we'd miss him, but either we find a way to send Fisher the other way, as part of any deal (it'd still be tight, but Murray is a genius),

    It's probably better to do the Detroit "thing", and spend little on a high-mid goalie (not Gerber-esque) but load up on solid PMDs. We already are developing Lee, Karlsson, Karlsson. We keep Smith, Phillips, Volchenkov, and maybe get Shubert in as the seventh (dress him, and give him forward/PP time too - I know people will argue this, but I'm betting he can be the #5/6 line PMD if given a chance). Forwards will be afraid to enter our zone - either they get hammered, or they get caught by a lightning-fast transition game. Meanwhile, give Murray time, and he'll find a couple more diamonds in the rough for the forward lines, and then we're set for years. Only thing is, this involves a couple of years of pain first, and maybe a year or two out of the playoffs.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54296
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 am

    You're right Acrobat. There's no way to add BOTH a elite number one tender and a #1 D-man - both of which the Sens will need - without losing some salary up front.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by smash88 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:22 am

    504Heater wrote:You're right Acrobat. There's no way to add BOTH a elite number one tender and a #1 D-man - both of which the Sens will need - without losing some salary up front.

    I agree, I'd like to see Kelly gone for sure, he just makes too much money for essentially a penalty killer... If Fisher dosen't start producing, it could spell the end for him too.. and if Vermette dosen't smarten up he'll be out too... As much as we had a lot of change this year, I have the feeling we could have just as much next year... oh and Gerber gone too! :bounce: cheers
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by mattshock on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:39 am

    smash88 wrote:
    504Heater wrote:You're right Acrobat. There's no way to add BOTH a elite number one tender and a #1 D-man - both of which the Sens will need - without losing some salary up front.

    I agree, I'd like to see Kelly gone for sure, he just makes too much money for essentially a penalty killer... If Fisher dosen't start producing, it could spell the end for him too.. and if Vermette dosen't smarten up he'll be out too... As much as we had a lot of change this year, I have the feeling we could have just as much next year... oh and Gerber gone too! :bounce: cheers

    YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:06 am