0% [0%] 
    [ 7 ]
    30% [30%] 
    [ 2 ]
    9% [9%] 

Total Votes: 23

Greatest Russian/USSR Born Player

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:43 pm

My pick is tretiak. i still believe he is the greatest goalie who ever lived. a close second is Fetisov, he was such a dominating defensemen.

honourable mentions-
    Datsyuk
    Kovalev
    Zubov
    Malkin
    Ovechkin
    Moginly
    Vsevolod Bobrov
    Sergei Markov
    Yashin
    Krutov
    Firsov
    Starshinov
    Kovalchuk
    Nabakov
    Gonchar

Re: Greatest Russian/USSR Born Player

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:19 pm

Tukker wrote:My pick is tretiak. i still believe he is the greatest goalie who ever lived. a close second is Fetisov, he was such a dominating defensemen.

honourable mentions-
    Datsyuk
    Kovalev
    Zubov
    Malkin
    Ovechkin
    Moginly
    Vsevolod Bobrov
    Sergei Markov
    Yashin
    Krutov
    Firsov
    Starshinov
    Kovalchuk
    Nabakov
    Gonchar

I don't think I can make a fair pick. I haven't seen enough of guys like Karlamov, so I'd have to stay with guys that played in the NHL more recently. If that's the case, I'm going to go with Federov, who was so dominant offensively in his prime and a standout defensively.

Having said that, I think Malkin and Ovechkin surpass Federov when it's all said and done.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:21 pm

hemlock34 wrote:
    Tukker wrote:My pick is tretiak. i still believe he is the greatest goalie who ever lived. a close second is Fetisov, he was such a dominating defensemen.

honourable mentions-
    Datsyuk
    Kovalev
    Zubov
    Malkin
    Ovechkin
    Moginly
    Vsevolod Bobrov
    Sergei Markov
    Yashin
    Krutov
    Firsov
    Starshinov
    Kovalchuk
    Nabakov
    Gonchar

I don't think I can make a fair pick. I haven't seen enough of guys like Karlamov, so I'd have to stay with guys that played in the NHL more recently. If that's the case, I'm going to go with Federov, who was so dominant offensively in his prime and a standout defensively.

Having said that, I Malkin and Ovechkin surpass Federov when it's all said and done.
    it's likely ovie and malikin and even semin will surpass many of these, but as of now, these are my opinion of the best russians. Volchie and Kovalchuk could be on the list one day too.
    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by asq2 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Semin's having a great start, but Kovalchuk is IMO pretty easily better than AS.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:29 pm

asq2 wrote:Semin's having a great start, but Kovalchuk is IMO pretty easily better than AS.
    now, but i think kovy is a one- dimentional player, and semin could overtake him
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49034
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:01 pm

I voted "Other" since Alexander Yakushev is not on that list. He was my favorite player growing up in Moscow, and that was during the heyday of Kharlamov, Michailov and the rest of the Big Red Machine. So there must have been something special about him. Unfortunately by the time I got over here he was no-longer playing.

From his Wikipedia page:

Alexander Sergeyevich Yakushev (Russian: Александр Сергеевич Якушев) (born January 2, 1947) was an ice hockey player for the Soviet Union.
    Born in Moscow, Russia, Alexander Yakushev is best known to North American hockey fans as one of the stars for the Soviet Team that played Team Canada in the famous 1972 Summit Series.
    His style of play was atypical of his colleagues who were fast and
    skilled; he was often described as the equivalent of Canada's Phil Esposito.
    Although often overshadowed by his famous teammate Valeri Kharlamov, by the end of the Summit Series, Yakushev led the Soviets in scoring with 7 goals and 4 assists for 11 points.
    See, even back then I preferred the North American style of play.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:03 pm

wprager wrote:I voted "Other" since Alexander Yakushev is not on that list. He was my favorite player growing up in Moscow, and that was during the heyday of Kharlamov, Michailov and the rest of the Big Red Machine. So there must have been something special about him. Unfortunately by the time I got over here he was no-longer playing.

From his Wikipedia page:

Alexander Sergeyevich Yakushev (Russian: Александр Сергеевич Якушев) (born January 2, 1947) was an ice hockey player for the Soviet Union.
    Born in Moscow, Russia, Alexander Yakushev is best known to North American hockey fans as one of the stars for the Soviet Team that played Team Canada in the famous 1972 Summit Series.
    His style of play was atypical of his colleagues who were fast and
    skilled; he was often described as the equivalent of Canada's Phil Esposito.
    Although often overshadowed by his famous teammate Valeri Kharlamov, by the end of the Summit Series, Yakushev led the Soviets in scoring with 7 goals and 4 assists for 11 points.
    See, even back then I preferred the North American style of play.
    you might be the only one here who can pronounce these names :D

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Tretiak hands-down
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Tukker wrote:you might be the only one here who can pronounce these names :D

Reijo Ruotsalainen
    Stanislav Neckar (not hard, but unexpected -- that's what she said!)
    Dustin Byfuglien

And let's not forget Cournoyer.

Thank goodness there aren't many Polish players in the league. Could you imagine Wojciehowicz or Zbigniew Brzezinski?

Yakushev is like "Smith" by comparison.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 pm

wprager wrote:
    Tukker wrote:you might be the only one here who can pronounce these names :D

Reijo Ruotsalainen
    Stanislav Neckar (not hard, but unexpected -- that's what she said!)
    Dustin Byfuglien

And let's not forget Cournoyer.

Thank goodness there aren't many Polish players in the league. Could you imagine Wojciehowicz or Zbigniew Brzezinski?

Yakushev is like "Smith" by comparison.
    so did you have trouble pronouncing English names when you moved here? or are our names really that easy :D ?

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 pm

why are none of the older players getting votes? only the two NHL stars and tretiak are getting any love Sad

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Tukker wrote:why are none of the older players getting votes? only the two NHL stars and tretiak are getting any love Sad

Prolly for the reason I mentioned. Most people on this board would have been small children, if born at all, when some of these guys dominated. Pretty hard to rate a guy on stats alone.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Tukker wrote:why are none of the older players getting votes? only the two NHL stars and tretiak are getting any love Sad

Well, I voted "Other" for Yakushev. That's "older".
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Tukker wrote:So did you have trouble pronouncing English names when you moved here? or are our names really that easy :D ?

I was not even 13 when I came (plus I spent almost all of grade 7 in an American school in Rome). My cousin was 18 months older and left more than a year after we did, and his accent is very strong. Me, not so much.

There's a saying in Russia: "In English you spell it Manchester, but you pronounce it Lverpool". English names are not so much hard to pronounce (except for sounds that have no equivalent in Russian) as they are impossible to write. Probably not an English name at all, but what is Toews pronounced like Taves?

With some regional exceptions, Russian names are pronounced jst like they are spelled. The only difficulty is which syllable to place the accent. Yeah, Ovechkin is really pronounced much closer to Ah-vechkin (unless you're from the Volga region) but other than that it's simple.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:39 pm

wprager wrote:
    Tukker wrote:So did you have trouble pronouncing English names when you moved here? or are our names really that easy :D ?

I was not even 13 when I came (plus I spent almost all of grade 7 in an American school in Rome). My cousin was 18 months older and left more than a year after we did, and his accent is very strong. Me, not so much.

There's a saying in Russia: "In English you spell it Manchester, but you pronounce it Lverpool". English names are not so much hard to pronounce (except for sounds that have no equivalent in Russian) as they are impossible to write. Probably not an English name at all, but what is Toews pronounced like Taves?

With some regional exceptions, Russian names are pronounced jst like they are spelled. The only difficulty is which syllable to place the accent. Yeah, Ovechkin is really pronounced much closer to Ah-vechkin (unless you're from the Volga region) but other than that it's simple.
    I've never gotten Toews myself. i was pronouncing it Toes for the longest time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 pm